Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 06:23 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times

Advertisements

There are many which read "she/he would light up a room whenever they walked in", or something akin to that....if so apparently my husband and I will live forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 06:47 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I often read the obits from the town in which I worked and lived for the first 47 years of my life. As I age, my friends and coworkers are dying and I don't know about it 'til I read it in the town's obit section.

Sometimes I shake my head. Sometimes I laugh. Sometimes I ask, "who wrote this crap, anyway?" Is there a reason for ridiculous obits? Does it make the writer feel better? Share some of the odd ones you've read. Some of my favorites are:

She died unexpectedly. She was born in 1920. How unexpected could it be?

He experienced a catastrophic cardiac event. Spit it out: He had a heart attack.

The angels rejoiced as she slipped silently and gloriously into the arms of her waiting Jesus, Savior of her soul. That's nice.

The community from whence I came is a somewhat religious community so it's not unusual to see wordy and breathy goodbye notices as the deceased slips the surly bonds of earth or shuffles off this mortal coil. I'll admit some of them are hilarious, though not necessarily intended to make the reader laugh.

I won't have an obit or death notice. If I were to have one, it would simply read, "Adios, Mother*******."

What would you want your obit to say? What are some odd ones you've seen? Please share. I need a good laugh.

Mine will say..
By the expression on her face.... looks like she didn't see that comin.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:47 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,491,963 times
I Want mine to read something like

WRM20 died peacefully and suddenly. Sadly, the other 3 people in his car died screaming in terror.

My Mom has told me that her obituary better say "died", and not "left this mortal coil", or "expired" or any other euphemism, or I will be haunted for eternity.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:48 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Reminded me of an old joke, possibly from Garrison Keillor era:

The widow walked into the local newspaper office to submit an obituary for her husband. She had no idea what to write as she had little to say about him and didn't want to spend much. The editor made suggestions, including writing about what his interests were. She finally decided on:

Olaf died. Boat for sale.
More accurate than you might think.

My DS/DD has a marina. It is not unusual for the widow to put her deceased husband's boat for sale. In fact there was a motorboat in the marina where the owner's bank trustee paid moorage for years after he was in a long term care facility - it was on automatic bill pay.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:29 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
I never quite understood the reason for obituaries. Everyone who matters and needs to know the person is dead will already know.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:23 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
My late brother-in-law had all the usual "beloved husband of..." and that's when I truly realized what BS it was, as my sister was ready to leave him. In fact, when I went to visit, she said, "He sat up and he said my name and then he died!" and I said, "At least he said YOUR name." She went crazy with laughter. I knew who I was dealing with.

I do think the New York Times started a wonderful trend with its "Portraits of Grief" obits after 9/11. Genuinely interesting bits of info about the real person. Of course, as one friend of mine said, "How come everyone that died was the light of everyone's life, a wonderful person, beloved? Couldn't they say at least once, 'He was an SOB but he didn't deserve to go that way.'"

Old 11-27-2017, 02:19 AM

5,485 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Psychology of using euphemisms is the real topic here. And the answer is that people can't handle the truth; to some degree or another that is true of all of us. Maybe that is the one truth we can handle--that we can't handle truth.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I never quite understood the reason for obituaries. Everyone who matters and needs to know the person is dead will already know.
'funerals are for the living'

substitute...

Old 11-27-2017, 03:47 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
The ones that really get me are the ones that would fill a full typewritten page, single-spaced. They list everything that person had ever done in life - was on the committee for town beautification; volunteered at the local senior center; lifelong member of Grace Church; trustee of the local school for the deaf. You get the idea.

This goes on for paragraph after paragraph. It makes me feel like such an unaccomplished person! Makes me want to run out and join something, volunteer for something.

Oh wait - that person was just a housewife, not a society matron!

Old 11-27-2017, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The ones that really get me are the ones that would fill a full typewritten page, single-spaced. They list everything that person had ever done in life - was on the committee for town beautification; volunteered at the local senior center; lifelong member of Grace Church; trustee of the local school for the deaf. You get the idea.

This goes on for paragraph after paragraph. It makes me feel like such an unaccomplished person! Makes me want to run out and join something, volunteer for something.

Oh wait - that person was just a housewife, not a society matron!
The question is, do we want 'objective' obituaries? The OP made a reference to personally wanting either none or a humorous one. But if we wrote objective/journalistic obituaries for the average person, then people would suddenly start looking a lot worse/more mundane/realistic. And then we couldn't celebrate dead lives and pretend they continue in another imaginary realm, could we. Objective reality is corpses in the ground, not spirits in the sky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology