Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you think you encounter someone who is "not right?"
Never 0 0%
Daily 24 36.92%
Weekly 13 20.00%
Monthly 7 10.77%
Every 3 Months 5 7.69%
Every 6 Months 3 4.62%
Yearly 4 6.15%
Fewer than once every few years. 9 13.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 09:52 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,192,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Actually, autism IS classified under the DSM (Diagnostic Manual of Mental Disorders) and is, generally, diagnosed by psychiatrists or neuropsychs, and managed with therapies under mental health care. Autism does in fact require "professional mental help," including therapies, management of sensitivities, sometimes with medication, and so on. In addition, professional help with life skills, social skills and so on is generally indicated. My son has a psy h and neuropsych, a speech therapist and occupational therapist. He is in no way unusual among his autistic friends with this group of professionals. Some require many more.

The OP doesn't know exactly what is "wrong" with the people appearing to mutter to themselves, and not understanding social cues or directives. Right?

They could be schizophrenic. They could be autistic. They could be simply intellectually delayed. Can we get some specific dividing line for where it's "okay" to say someone with a mental issue or disorder is "just not right"? That would be helpful.

As far as looking to be offended, I'd venture that neither I nor anyone else needs to look all that far when it comes to a premise like this one.
You are assuming a whole lot about the OP. All he asked was "How often people encounter those that need professional mental help." You cannot assign motive, intent, or the OP's level of understanding to such a simple question. I know for a fact what he is thinking. You one the other hand can only suppose. As I said, it is a simple question, people add so much to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 09:56 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,083,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
You are assuming a whole lot about the OP. All he asked was "How often people encounter those that need professional mental help." You cannot assign motive, intent, or the OP's level of understanding to such a simple question. I know for a fact what he is thinking. You one the otehr hand can only suppose. As I said, it is a simple question.
And I encounter one daily and described this person, yet you're objecting. I'm not sure why.

By the way, this doesn't assume anything about the OP, what an odd thing to say. It does assume ignorance, I suppose, in a general way, if anything at all. I am giving a little light to the ignorance shadow about people "who need professional mental help" in one specific category; sorry that this bothers you.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:57 PM

15,722 posts, read 9,566,055 times
Quote:
The OP doesn't know exactly what is "wrong" with the people appearing to mutter to themselves, and not understanding social cues or directives. Right?
And they could be like some who talk to themselves in public. I often remind myself in the grocery store, "need to get a broom" or "got to get new wash cloths." Sometimes I sing to myself under my breath. I guess I must "not be right."

Of course, the OP would automatically think that anyway if they knew I was diagnosed with dysthymia (double depression) and anxiety. I have not left the house since Monday and frankly hearing half the people here as well as our president blame mental illness on the murder of 17 people doesn't make me want to go outside anytime soon.

But then neither does ignorant folks asking the question 'How often do you encounter someone who is "not right?"' It bothers me that most folks sought to actually answer the question instead of arguing that the question itself is part of a larger problem we have here.

In the meantime, good luck with your son. I have found that those with autism are typically the friendliest and most loving folks around. They don't think in terms of people being "not right." They just love you for being you. The OP could take notes.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:59 PM

5,578 posts, read 3,981,043 times
Given that I live with myself every day, every day.

Half-joking, heh.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:04 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,083,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
And they could be like some who talk to themselves in public. I often remind myself in the grocery store, "need to get a broom" or "got to get new wash cloths." Sometimes I sing to myself under my breath. I guess I must "not be right."

Of course, the OP would automatically think that anyway if they knew I was diagnosed with dysthymia (double depression) and anxiety. I have not left the house since Monday and frankly hearing half the people here as well as our president blame mental illness on the murder of 17 people doesn't make me want to go outside anytime soon.

But then neither does ignorant folks asking the question 'How often do you encounter someone who is "not right?"' It bothers me that most folks sought to actually answer the question instead of arguing that the question itself is part of a larger problem we have here.

In the meantime, good luck with your son. I have found that those with autism are typically the friendliest and most loving folks around. They don't think in terms of people being "not right." They just love you for being you. The OP could take notes.
Thank you.

I think what you are saying here is very important and I also think what is getting to a person or two in this regard is that actual, personal stories with actual, understandable explanations take away some of the "we v. them" comfort thing. You can't dehumanize a whole group of people for acting oddly and stay comfortable with that. And I think that bothers some people. It shifts an ages old paradigm, "I'm okay, that looney isn't." The reality is that it may not be that simple.

But the bottom line was: the OP asked how often we encounter such people. I answered very clearly. My answer isn't okay, though....but so far, the explanation as to why it isn't okay has not been made clear. So I stand by my answer. It is relevant and it answers the topic.

Last edited by JerZ; 02-17-2018 at 10:13 PM..

Old 02-17-2018, 10:15 PM

510 posts, read 372,465 times
Quote:
There are a LOT of people out in the world with mental problems. Are there enough of them that you will meet one each day? I really don't think so, but it really depends on who is in your circles and where you hang out. I wouldn't be surprised though if the average person encountered one of these poor souls at least once every three to six months.

If you care to answer this thread or poll, how often do you think you encounter someone who is "not right?" I am not speaking of someone who is just a little odd, or different; but someone YOU MEET AND THINK can use the help of a mental professional?

Toxic pills could be what is causing people to murder many in public places. We'd be better off if gov't would supply cannabis with price based on ability to pay. But toxic pill makers buy the gov't.

Can you determine who is "right", whatever that means, by looking at them briefly, no talking?

Old 02-17-2018, 10:15 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,192,520 times
Quote:
And I encounter one daily and described this person, yet you're objecting. I'm not sure why.
I objected because people on CD have a habit of taking a simple question, adding so much of their own baggage to the question and then issuing insult stamps to those in the discussion who don't see what the person with baggage sees. I posted because I believe a that when the term AZZWHOLES comes out, the issue should be addressed.

I can understand that you may be upset at the way some people view or treat your son, but that is just the world we live in. I am sorry it is so. I had a friend who I had to "chill out" because he would react insultingly to a person with touretts. He thought it was a mental issue and that it was fun to poke at her, I thought it was a neurological issue (again, I am not a professional) and something that should be understood, not ridiculed.

I asked the question because I wanted to get a feel about how the average (layman) citizen feels about his fellow citizens. I wanted to get a gauge on how mentally disturbed most people in this country think we are; not a professional opinion of the numbers and statistics, but a feel for how Joe Sixpack feels. I did not want to see anyone here insulted - either for themselves or by proxy, but I knew that was a possibility here in CD-Land and would try to stem those kinds of comments. Up until your comment I did not think that was happening.

Quote:

By the way, this doesn't assume anything about the OP, what an odd thing to say. It does assume ignorance, I suppose, in a general way, if anything at all. I am giving a little light to the ignorance shadow about people "who need professional mental help" in one specific category; sorry that this bothers you.
Didn't you make a statement ascribing what the OP thinks? Was that based on anything in the OP post?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ
The OP doesn't know exactly what is "wrong" with the people appearing to mutter to themselves, and not understanding social cues or directives. Right? He just sees somebody muttering or not knowing when to get off an elevator and that is sufficient activity to qualify for "not right" status. The OP is the medical professional who knows who needs what type of mental help? By passing them on an elevator? Oh, he couldn't mean they're autistic though...nah, he meant...some other vague thing...?

But again, I am not looking for an argument... I just want to know what people think of others in this country. I didn't want to derail the answers with other baggage - whether that baggage is legitimate or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post

Same with you. I really don't see how and why you make assumptions about the OP. I would appreciate it if you could just answer the question as it is without adding in what you assume the OP thinks. I am sorry for your condition, but that has NOTHING to do with the OP or anything he said.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 02-17-2018 at 10:46 PM..

Old 02-17-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
I objected because people on CD have a habit of taking a simple question, adding so much of their own baggage to the question and then issuing insult stamps to those in the discussion who don't see what the person with baggage sees. I posted because I believe a that when the term AZZHOLES comes out, the issue should be addressed.

I can understand that you may be upset at the way some people view or treat your son, but that is just the world we live in. I am sorry it is so. I had a friend who I had to "chill out" because he would react insultingly to a person with touretts. He thought it was a mental issue and that it was fun to poke at her, I thought it was a neurological issue (again, I am not a professional) and something that should be understood, not ridiculed.

I asked the question because I wanted to get a feel about how the average (layman) citizen feels about his fellow citizens. I wanted to get a gauge on how mentally disturbed most people in this country think we are; not a professional opinion of the numbers and statistics, but a feel for how Joe Sixpack feels. I did not want to see anyone here insulted - either for themselves or by proxy, but I knew that was a possibility here in CD-Land and would try to stem those kinds of comments. Up until your comment I did not think that was happening.

Didn't you make a statement ascribing what the OP thinks? Was that based on anything in the OP post?
Re: Tourette's: I've had a couple friends with Tourette's over the years. One was during high school; he was part of my golfing foursome during/after senior year and the couple years following. His case was extremely mild so far as I can tell, manifesting only in obvious-but-subtle-enough tics rather than swearing. He was a smart guy who went on to become a successful engineer. Currently, there's a guy in my biweekly poker league who has more of a classic case (according to stereotype, anyway--like you, I am not a professional), where he yells out swear words every several minutes and has more violent tics than my high school friend did, often accompanied with noises that might best be described as grunts. It was interesting to see the collective reaction when people were first exposed to this guy; people had no advance warning, and at the first game last year, there were initially some bemused glances and chuckles. But he's been treated well since he joined, simply as one of the group, no different from anyone else--with the exception that he gets assigned the role of the human alarm clock whenever the blinds are raised in our tournament. It does make me wonder how he's treated in everyday life, away from what might be termed the 'safe space' of our poker league (which is a group of 20 friends and friends-of-friends mostly around my age (early thirties)--this guy is the brother of another member and was known by several people before joining).

Old 02-17-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Most of them are posting here.
I encounter them almost every time I read posts. Theres a lot of sick pups in the world.
awfully judgmental post from an awfully overconfident poster

Old 02-17-2018, 10:38 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,146,181 times
Quote:
Actually, autism IS classified under the DSM (Diagnostic Manual of Mental Disorders) and is, generally, diagnosed by psychiatrists or neuropsychs, and managed with therapies under mental health care. Autism does in fact require "professional mental help," including therapies, management of sensitivities, sometimes with medication, and so on. In addition, professional help with life skills, social skills and so on is generally indicated. My son has a psych and neuropsych, a speech therapist and occupational therapist. He is in no way unusual among his autistic friends with this group of professionals. Some require many more.

In addition to these, the district/school psych's presence is REQUIRED to be present at all IEPs (meetings) and is required to assess every 3 years formally. This is in addition to our private psych.

The OP doesn't know exactly what is "wrong" with the people appearing to mutter to themselves, and not understanding social cues or directives. Right? He just sees somebody muttering or not knowing when to get off an elevator and that is sufficient activity to qualify for "not right" status. The OP is the medical professional who knows who needs what type of mental help? By passing them on an elevator? Oh, he couldn't mean they're autistic though...nah, he meant...some other vague thing...? In that case I don't get the point.

They could be schizophrenic. They could be autistic. They could be simply intellectually delayed. Can we get some specific dividing line for where it's "okay" to say someone with a mental issue or disorder is "just not right"? That would be helpful.

As far as looking to be offended, I'd venture that neither I nor anyone else needs to look all that far when it comes to a premise like this one.
First of all, I understand why you’re upset with this thread. I was sorry to read all the details of your son’s medical condition. Even so, he sounds like a wonderful human being and I know you are proud of him. He was thrown an awful curveball but has managed to go on and do good things in spite of that.

Unfortunately, we’re conditioned from birth to judge people we think are ‘different’ from us. The homeless person muttering, the purple haired kid with twenty piercings will always be singled out. I’m guessing your son may have also been at the receiving end of not so nice people. That’s not going to change soon, it’s the way of the world.

Even so, there are lots of good people on CD who would be supportive of your son. The people I find mental and offensive are the ones who dump mattresses and garbage in their front yard, people who threaten me over the phone when I’m just trying to do my job, creeps who go out of their way to harass, the homeless man at Fred Meyer who yells and curses out people when they don’t give him money. But someone like your son..not in a million years. Wishing you and your family the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology