Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 03:43 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,624,110 times

Advertisements

Ok, I drink too much, sleep too little, stress too much & remain chronically depressed.

Yes this is my life & real as for now. Are these factors intertwined or just loosely related? ANyone here have a Phd in Psych? I hesitate talking to counselors w/ MSW's or lower degrees as they're certainly not trained in this. A Psych D is most likely best but a good old-school PhD knows their stuff v well I'm sure.

Believe or not but booze actually reduces my need to eat, as in suppressant, & saves me cals that way. But I know opponents here will advise vs that - yet as far as having to bloat or other issues & maybe as a relaxant - it can't be beat.

Wine primarily, & Scotch or Vodka help out. I know this is roughshod typing to clarify a point but so be it, as it is grassroots look at the reality of how I feel daily. So be it, if those vs this behavior challenge - on assertion - that it is vile or not so politically correct to their sovereign eyes - & thus does not appeal to their higher haughty ideals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 04:59 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
What? Of course they are intertwined. The choices we make affect things we don't have control over and vice versa. The person you find most helpful to discuss all this with could be anyone at any level of the profession. The lack of letters behind their name means nothing if the person connects with you, listens to you, has experience dealing with similar problems, and offers advice you find helpful.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:14 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,910,626 times
Find a 12 step program and do 30 meetings in 30 days.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:29 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,586,534 times
For sleep, just take one 75mg Amitriptyline and add one Advil PM if the first Amitriptyline is not effective enough.

Get an Amitriptyline prescription from your primary physician.

(or get Amitriptyline in a lower dose, if preferred)

Try not to mix it with alcohol.

Sleep is very restorative.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:49 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
OP: You've identified all your issues. We've talked about them all in the Health groups and now you are the one in charge to change. When I got a little stuck in my life I met an MFC thru a friend and she helped me with an issue.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:27 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
I've suffered from depression most of my adult life. I also like to have my evening cocktail. I've abused alcohol in the past, but don't now. But, I can tell you, if you mention using alcohol to calm you down or for pain or anything, really, and especially if it's every night - even if it's just one glass - 99.9% of professionals are going to start cramming A.A. down your throat and they won't even look at dealing with your other issues as being separate. It's really unfortunate, but true.

The exception would be if you could find a counselor who understands and accepts the approach called Harm Reduction. Some counselors are using this technique now. I had to convince my counselor to try it with me (I'm limited by my health insurance as far as finding a better counselor - overall I like her), but she still put in my medical file "alcohol abuse." The best I could talk her down to is to add "minimal alcohol abuse" even though, I now only drink what is the accepted amount for a woman.

Anyway, it can be harmful to have alcohol dependence in your medical file. So, maybe read up on this method first:

https://www.amazon.com/Over-Influenc...8ZQY8N20FE7K45

The all-or-nothing approach by A.A. really doesn't work for most people, plus the fact that it's religion-based.

As to depression or alcohol use causing each other, I don't think so. If you use enough that it makes you feel physically bad, that will make it worse. Alcohol will affect your sleep in a bad way, too, if you overdo it. You'll crash out, but then wake up in the middle of the night, usually.

Something that is really helping me is changing my diet and getting more exercise. I have become vegan and it's really helping my overall health - I had high everything as far as blood test results. And it turns out, it really has helped my mental health as well as my physical health.

And for dealing with depression the therapy that's helped me the most is cognitive behavioral therapy. (CBT) This therapy really helps you deal with negative thoughts. Gives you tricks on how to change your thinking. There are quite a lot of therapists who know how to use this type of therapy now. It changed my life and it's not hard to do. And you don't have to delve into your depressing childhood, etc. It's just about how to cope now with tools on how to do it.

For you, I'd start by finding a therapist that knows CBT. If you can find one that is outside your medical group, so it's not in your medical file, then I'd also see if you could find one who also understands harm reduction therapy, so you could work on that with someone, too. I'm just dealing with that on my own, as my therapist is really not on board with it. It's too late for me to not have the alcohol "abuse" in my medical file.

And add some more exercise, and look at your diet. But, yes, everything is connected - mind and body. You can't change everything at once, and depression is at heart a mind dysfunction. So, I'd advise you to start with the CBT. Just removing alcohol isn't going to change how you think.

Best of luck to you. If you can allow yourself to not get overwhelmed and just take one step at a time, I think you can feel much better over time. You could be a completely new person in a year. Don't expect it to be quick or easy. Baby steps and simple goals so you can feel successful as you go.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:47 AM

I agree that AA can be ineffective if you don't like the religious piece, but there are ways around that and even groups with a non-religious focus where the higher power is the group, "the universe" or even "I don't know yet."

The point is, the disordered thinking and the physical damage from alcohol addiction is a serious matter and doing something is a lot better than living in denial and doing nothing.

It won't hurt you to go to meetings; if nothing else you may discover your own screwed-up-ness is not unusual, and it will take you out of your isolation.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:00 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Ok, I drink too much, sleep too little, stress too much & remain chronically depressed.

Yes this is my life & real as for now. Are these factors intertwined or just loosely related? ANyone here have a Phd in Psych? I hesitate talking to counselors w/ MSW's or lower degrees as they're certainly not trained in this. A Psych D is most likely best but a good old-school PhD knows their stuff v well I'm sure.

Believe or not but booze actually reduces my need to eat, as in suppressant, & saves me cals that way. But I know opponents here will advise vs that - yet as far as having to bloat or other issues & maybe as a relaxant - it can't be beat.

Wine primarily, & Scotch or Vodka help out. I know this is roughshod typing to clarify a point but so be it, as it is grassroots look at the reality of how I feel daily. So be it, if those vs this behavior challenge - on assertion - that it is vile or not so politically correct to their sovereign eyes - & thus does not appeal to their higher haughty ideals.
Obviously since you already know these things are an issue for you....Choose the one that you do have control over. The drinking is voluntary....so that it the logical choice.

Also, do a few physical exercises daily.....see if you can make this first incremental change....then follow with others as you progress to some more balanced wellness.

It doesn't hurt to have a physical as well. And, if you need help sleeping don't be afraid to check with your Dr. Otherwise, doing physical things can use a bit of energy and help tire you for sleeping.

Sleep deprivation is a real health hazard...So I would tackle that after the drinking. Then address whatever stressors you have any control over next.

Keep us posted.
Just a few links related to the issues that you mentioned. Search out more, there are 100's of helpful links online.
How to change bad habits: there are a ton of links online, including videos.
How to Break Bad Habits and Develop Good Ones

Sleep deprivation:
2017Discounts

Calories:Alcoholic drinks:
https://www.livescience.com/52990-al...e-healthy.html

Old 02-26-2018, 07:31 AM

Exercise and diet, while commendable, won't cure addiction. Why not try a 12 step program? They've only helped millions of people.

I had a guy working for me as a driver, nice decent person, had been homeless once due to drinking. Insisted that he used will power to keep from drinking. New wife, new car, decent home. Lost everything again.

Consider that perhaps other people might know a thing or two about this problem? Listen with an open mind.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:54 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
For sleep, just take one 75mg Amitriptyline and add one Advil PM if the first Amitriptyline is not effective enough.

Get an Amitriptyline prescription from your primary physician.

(or get Amitriptyline in a lower dose, if preferred)

Try not to mix it with alcohol.

Sleep is very restorative.
Drug induced sleep isn't authentic rest,
its merely unconscious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology