Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 05:11 AM

134 posts, read 192,140 times

Advertisements

I've seen countless people say yes to things like favours, work projects/issues, event invitations (parties, social functions, etc) and many more things like that only for them to cancel at the last minute which makes me wonder why some of these people don't just say no in the first place??? what is it about some individuals that make them say yes when they really should be saying no??? just wondering???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 05:17 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
I've seen countless people say yes to things like favours, work projects/issues, event invitations (parties, social functions, etc) and many more things like that only for them to cancel at the last minute which makes me wonder why some of these people don't just say no in the first place??? what is it about some individuals that make them say yes when they really should be saying no??? just wondering???
Fear.
That sort of fear probably results from a world view that doesnt support their spiritual needs.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:30 AM

557 posts, read 865,031 times
Generally speaking, people are social beings. We try to please each other so we can remain connected. Most people want to feel socially attached and not excluded. Consequently, we act in ways that favor social approval.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:48 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Must be the region. Australia? I mostly see "no" to requests. LOL

Old 03-01-2018, 11:26 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,003,187 times
Sometimes a last-minute cancellation can't be avoided. You should not assume that someone who cancels at the last minute never really wanted to accept the invitation.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:07 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Fear.
That sort of fear probably results from a world view that doesnt support their spiritual needs.
Not sure that I'd use the word fear for most people. Instead, I'd say desire....desire to be accepted, desire to be included, desire to be welcomed as a valuable person to have around. Maybe building up social credits that can be cashed in later.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Social pressure.

Anxiety over not adhering to social expectations.

Avoidance of potential conflict.

Often, you're saying "sure! " face to face, when some, particular those with anxiety, find it harder to decline. But canceling after the fact can be easily done remotely, via text, voicemail, etc. Which is easier for said people.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:05 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
I hate to say this since I'm probably in the "stupid" category, myself, but it's often the case that we don't think ahead. We just don't calculate the consequences of our behaviors more than a step or two. Very smart people fail to do this. Thinking is hard work and not encouraged in the schools. God forbid people learned to think.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:16 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
I think there are various reasons. My fiance has bad ADHD and he forgets things he agreed to do all the time unless I set reminders on his phone.

I do it sometimes. I'm sort of a solitary person and really I like nothing better than being home with my honey and my kitties. But part of me feels like I "should" keep my friendships going and go out more. So I'll agree to go to a group happy hour or something, but then when the day actually comes, it's raining, or I had to work late, or I feel fat, or I'm broke, or any number of things and I just don't feel like going. This happens with Meetups all the time, with many people.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:13 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
It probably takes years for some people to get to know themselves. I've said Yes so many times in my earlier years and it should have been NO, but I kept learning from these yes/no actions.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-16-2018 at 10:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology