Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 05:15 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Why are we so impressionable to a lot of areas of interest without even knowing what we're getting into? You just like bandwagon a lot of **** based on whatever is trendy in your social and cultural spheres

Basically think the nature vs nurture debate

Why can't people just be left alone and not be pressured to be a certain person?

This gets based off a lot of your identities too believe it or not including race, gender, religion, age group, socioeconomic status and your areas of interest as well.

We just can't be human, we have to be a certain this instead.
I suppose for the same reason people can't do as they wish without someone knocking them for it rather than minding their business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 06:00 PM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I suppose for the same reason people can't do as they wish without someone knocking them for it rather than minding their business?
Excellent point.

To the OP, people buy and follow things that society expects them to because it helps them think they're better than the people who can't buy or follow what society expects them to. (keeping up with the Joneses)

But as sydney points out, unless it affects us directly, it's really none of us business or concern what people choose to buy or follow.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:58 PM

622 posts, read 396,087 times
By nature humans are social creatures and will willingly succumb to social pressures in order to gain acceptance or a sense of belonging. I know I did. But no more. I just want to be me now, as corny and old-fashioned as that may be, and make friends who accept me for who I am. I am much happier for having done so.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:08 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Why are we so impressionable to a lot of areas of interest without even knowing what we're getting into? You just like bandwagon a lot of **** based on whatever is trendy in your social and cultural spheres.

Speak for yourself.

Omit me from the "we" group.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:22 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Speak for yourself.

Omit me from the "we" group.
amen, brother

...and now we're a we group

Old 03-05-2018, 03:00 PM

818 posts, read 456,507 times
Nah , because we do our own thing.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:50 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Excuse me but I'm just doing what I want to do and I don't give a damn about what society wants.

I recently adopted a semi-cowboy wardrobe and the 4 chicks I'm dating love it. One of them wants a fedora just like mine!

Oh and petite chicks look a whole bunch better when I wear my cowboy boots! That extra inch gives me a whole new perspective on short chicks!

Old 03-06-2018, 11:22 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,863 times
People are sheep. They see one person jump on a trend and next thing you know, everyone is doing it.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:01 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,196 times
Well some people live in a bubble, maybe not by choice, and because emotions at least partially. Money can be a big factor. Such as if your parent/guardian bought your car for you, and if you cannot afford to live out on your own or handle the responsibilities that come with being completely independent, then you are more likely to at least somewhat cave in to someone else's desires.

I don't think that making this decision is necessarily a bad thing. It really depends on your emotional state, what you can handle, what you want to handle, what you are ready for. All those things can play a part on how much of a person is themselves rather than living up to an appearance of a social circle or family.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:17 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Humans are social creatures. It is easier for most to follow the groups/trends to fit in with other humans. Too many people judge those who are different. People need to be stronger than most to be different and also be OK with that.
I was going to say something along those lines. I am myself 100 percent of the time but I try not to let all of myself show in general either although I guess even then I'm still being myself because I am an introvert. However sometimes I'd like to share my feelings but it's far too risky majority of the time.
If it's not something they ever experienced then they ridicule it and act like it doesn't exist.

I have been rejected for many jobs just for being authentic/honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology