Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 09:03 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,004,647 times

Advertisements

Everyone has their skills.

I may have been more book smart than some guys I dated. But when my car broke, I was the dumb one when I looked under the hood and didn't see what's wrong. They were usually able to diagnose and fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 09:16 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,680,199 times
I don't think that competing in a marriage will have a good ending.

My DH has been better at making money, and I'm better at managing it, so we together we make an awesome team.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:30 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,914,563 times
The Huff Post article may be the one I cited:

• Study Shows Men Can’t Deal With Women Who Are Smarter Than Them
https://www.themarysue.com/men-and-smart-women/

• Why men are threatened by smart women
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...ood-2015-10-16

• Men May Like The Idea Of A Smart Woman, But They Don’t Want To Date One
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b02f6a900ed2aa

Old 03-21-2018, 09:44 AM

11,133 posts, read 7,195,916 times
That's a generally a good information source, but they do have some contributors who are perched on the extremes, with agendas to push. When they go out on tangents like that, they mar their publication. I can tell by the titles exactly the type of person throwing those articles together. It's not hard to find spurned, feminist, men-haters who either have had valid toxic relationships and dealings with men, or were raised in an environment that breeded that mentality. I'm not defending or excusing toxic and scum men, but it is possible to go too far in one direction and assume most men are evil, stupid, and dysfunctional, and then write that kind of stuff to promote the view. It's even easy to pool and group data based on one view, and make generalizations with that, though not truthfully representative.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:50 AM

88,667 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Everyone has their skills.

I may have been more book smart than some guys I dated. But when my car broke, I was the dumb one when I looked under the hood and didn't see what's wrong. They were usually able to diagnose and fix it.
Exactly. My ex with the "heavy things" T-shirt couldn't spell C-A-T if you held a gun to his head (OK, maybe an exaggeration there) but he could just look at anything and fix it. He kept our cars running and he was a talented carpenter and plumber.

I am not handy whatsoever. If I nail a hole in the wall to hang a picture, there's only a 50-50 chance it will stay up. I hurt myself opening packages of batteries.

My ex's extensive collection of tools and his ability to fix anything is the one thing I missed about him after I had his drunk, abusive ass carted away by the police and got the restraining order. Ya gotta make choices in life, ya know?

Old 03-21-2018, 09:53 AM

Sounds like an awful mismatch MQueen! I'm glad you're out of that situation.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:57 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,914,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
That's a good information source, generally, but they do have some contributers who are perched on the extremes, with agendas to push. When they go out on tangents like that, they mar their publication. I can tell by the titles exactly the type of person throwing those articles together. It's not hard to find spurned, feminist, men-haters who either have had valid toxic relationships and dealings with men, or were raised in an environment that breeded that mentality. I'm not defending or excusing toxic and scum men, but it is possible to go to far in one direction and assume most men are evil, stupid, and dysfunction, and then write that kind of stuff.
Well, but some men are put off by indicators of intelligence in women, though maybe not the best men. I've had men tell me I shouldn't say "film," for example, versus saying "movie." Or talk about computers, which was an obsession of mine starting 30 years ago.

I got into trouble yesterday for bickering, so I have to watch that. But trust me when I tell you that being rejected for being too intelligent is not a function of being a spurned, feminist, man-hater.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I got into trouble yesterday for bickering, so I have to watch that. But trust me when I tell you that being rejected for being too intelligent is not a function of being a spurned, feminist, man-hater.
No, I'm not saying that extreme either; that all women rejected are all spurned, feminists etc. Many have perfectly good reasons for their responses, including you and your examples. But when articles come out with large generalizations, such as "most men can't handle (or don't want) women smarter than them", I have to step up and call 'foul'.

I constantly see people (and opinions and discussions) go in one direction or completely the opposite, when the truth is often more towards the middle. Sometimes I risk looking like I'm somehow supporting or endorsing one side or the other, when I'm only trying to highlight balance.

As a man, I'll be the first to say that there are lots of screwed up men out there. I'm highly critical of many men, and usually never say anything about women. Sometimes though, like here, I feel that it is necessary.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:08 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,062,908 times
Those articles talked about research based on perception of intelligence.

IMHO, that's spurious because I don't believe people are very good judges of their own intelligence, and particularly in relation to others. How easy is it to use a cop out like "oh we didn't get along because I'm smarter than him/her."

As much as I normally disdain pop culture references, I keep coming back to this one from Homer J. Simpson: "Everybody is stupid, except me."

Old 03-21-2018, 10:10 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,539,906 times
I did. I understand your question, what's the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology