Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 01:16 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
No clue if my wife is smarter than me or not (I was tested a lot as a kid/teen, hovered in the 140 region which is why they Kept testing me ~ I lack self drive/motivation to apply myself though), but she's Vastly more motivated, better educated (I dropped out of college) and makes way more money than I ever did. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if she had a higher IQ, nor would it change how I feel about her.

Soon to be 19 years together, so something works.

I suspect that were the men who had issues with higher IQ/income women were tested, there would be a rather strong correlation among them that didn't exist among men who don't care. Just speculation though....
Similar to my situation as well. I’m no dummy, but I was never motivated. I’m better at applied engineering and spacial relationships. She is more intelligent in most everything else and almost got a PhD and was going to be an English professor before she decided to go corporate instead. I was in commercial construction as a superintendent when we met and as a project manager and estimator most of our marriage. She is now in communications for a large financial service company, but is way more organized than I am. Aside from the technical knowhow, she would be 10 times the construction manager I ever was and better than most I worked with. I used to make more than her but eventually I topped out and she kept getting raises and she made double what I did when I started a business as a home inspector. Made it way easier for me since we could get buy a good long time on her salary if we were careful. In theory, I could catch back up to her if things keep building in my business, not that it matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 01:45 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
wut? no...I dunno, maybe

Old 03-22-2018, 02:08 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,129,737 times
If the women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy! So I rely on my DIY efforts.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:58 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Any woman who would marry me couldn't be that smart.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:16 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Would I? I'd recommend it.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:50 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I vaguely remember reading about a research experiment done in a university psychology department; men were shown a series of photographs of women and asked if they would date and/or marry them. I'm not completely clear how it was set up, but I think some of the women were said to have higher standardized test scores than the subjects.

I think initially, most men said they would, but in the final analysis, they didn't.
Depends. Are they smarter as far as books and culture and can school me on subject matter I've never been interested in? That is one thing. Do they correct me at every turn even on things I actually know about?

The former, yes. The latter, HELL no.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:15 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times
Smarter than I? That is a very low bar......

Old 03-23-2018, 01:36 AM

202 posts, read 128,872 times
This is really easy to answer.

Men who are not smarter, what makes you think that smarter women want you? I'm a pretty smart woman and I want men of similar intelligence. I want to discuss the heat death of the universe and you want to discuss sports. I want to discuss Schrodinger's cat (physics) and you ask me if Schrodinger had a dog. You know nothing about quantum physics.

Good luck with that. If a smart woman wants you that's fine with me. But if you can't discuss all of the above then you are not smart enough to interest me. I hope you and she are happy with each other.

There is always the theory that opposites attract. That seems to work quite well for gender. Probably some smart woman want men for things other than intelligence. I think it's an individual decision or preference. People are all different. That's what makes people interesting to me, not that I want to date all of them.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:28 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
As long as there isn’t a huge gap, IQ has so many facets that each individual will be “smarter” in some facets. Understanding people is probably more important than understanding some technical subject, so IQ can’t really be looked at as a definitive identification of intelligence. You can’t tell which of two people scored 5 points more on an IQ test, no matter how well you know the people. But I bet you could tell who was smarter if the gap was over 10 points.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:09 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by per se View Post
This is really easy to answer.

Men who are not smarter, what makes you think that smarter women want you? I'm a pretty smart woman and I want men of similar intelligence. I want to discuss the heat death of the universe and you want to discuss sports. I want to discuss Schrodinger's cat (physics) and you ask me if Schrodinger had a dog. You know nothing about quantum physics.

Good luck with that. If a smart woman wants you that's fine with me. But if you can't discuss all of the above then you are not smart enough to interest me. I hope you and she are happy with each other.

There is always the theory that opposites attract. That seems to work quite well for gender. Probably some smart woman want men for things other than intelligence. I think it's an individual decision or preference. People are all different. That's what makes people interesting to me, not that I want to date all of them.

All that has really nothing to do with intelligence.
Just because someone is highly intelligent does not mean they will want to talk about quantum physics over sports. Certainly, a degree of intelligence is required to discuss such things but it's more about interest.

Intelligence has very little to do with success in education or career or the lack thereof, it may play a role but it is just one factor.

Even though someone considers themselves "Intellectual" and blathers on about how smart they are it does not make them any smarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology