Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 06:19 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,613 times

Advertisements

People don’t care about what they say to me, they even people I’m close to so why should I continue being so nice? Often times, I want to express my feelings or make a sarcastic remark but I hold back in order to prevent people’s feelings from being hurt. I carry a lot of anger inside because of this. I feel people don’t respect me because I am too nice so how do I stop being too nice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 06:24 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
grow a backbone, if what you think is being nice and they see as being a pushover, then no respect

being nice and being respected isnt exclusive of each other

Old 03-23-2018, 06:27 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
People don’t care about what they say to me, they even people I’m close to so why should I continue being so nice? Often times, I want to express my feelings or make a sarcastic remark but I hold back in order to prevent people’s feelings from being hurt. I carry a lot of anger inside because of this. I feel people don’t respect me because I am too nice so how do I stop being too nice?
I don't think that's a good choice. People really are often mean, and they don't care about how they hurt you. Still, long term I think it's better to chose kindness, and try to remember that if someone says mean things, it's their failing, not yours. It's hard, I know. I am very sensitive and get my feelings hurt pretty easily.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:29 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
You and my wife. Boy, she can snap at me, but the rest of the world gets a spoonful of sugar (and she's treated like a doormat because of it).

I've been helping her get good at telling me off (lol, not intentionally, but You be i a relationship for nearly 20 years... it happens), slowly she's getting better with annoying co-workers. I mean that the co-workers are already anoying, not that she's annoying them.

Honestly, your "rough" will still be gentle if you're anything like my wife. You'll be hard pressed to hurt anyone's feelings, people will mostly be Confused at the change. Obviously, don't break out into cursing like a sailor, but don't worry about hurting the feelings of those who hurt/anger you. Practice on the next telemarketing call you get.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:38 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:

You hold back your comments, OP, because you are taking the high road

I know your feelings, we all do. But you make a choice....go down to their level, or rise above them.

Learning assertive behaviors, not aggressive ones, will help you get more respect.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:54 PM

532 posts, read 446,608 times
Quote:

Embrace the nice ...not the anger

11yr in the Marines, 15 yrs in the Army , another 10yrs civilian sector, I still can't be mean.

It's who you are, there are or will be people who appreciate it.
Still I would hope every once in a while you can get some praise for it.

find an outlet for your anger (I prefer to call it frustration)

I put a speed bag up in my garage, after years of practice/frustration venting I can get that thing going as good as a professional boxer....yet...I would never hit anyone.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:00 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
You can be Nice and Strong. Have opinions and hold them. But don't intentionally hurt people. We had a long thread about that here recently.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:39 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Find your part in all this.
You have a habit of placing yourself in harm's way.
Your anger arises from fear.
What is the underlying fear?
That they will not like you?
If so, why do you need them to like you so much that you put yourself in harm's way.
Are you over relying on other peoples approval.
Approval seeking is a form of dishonesty.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:58 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
This is the worst Idea I have read about in ages!

I'd suggest the following.....

1. Don't change much...unless it is purely your insecurity that is hurting you (chip on shoulder).

2. Avoidance and Quiet are under-rated - stay away from those who really don't have much to offer - this is true whether they are related to you or not (with possible exceptions for parents and children in need).

One cannot change their basic human nature. It's best to try and use your gifts to your advantage than to try and become like lesser people.

IMHO, anyway.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:51 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
OP, can you be clearer about what you're talking about? With a couple examples?

In my crowd, you don't get taken advantage of if you're "too nice". And you'll get shunned if you're prickery and sarcastic. Because there's no need to be.

I've been in other crowds, when I was younger, where if you don't show a side of yourself that you can be a little tough and combative, yes, you'll be taken advantage of.

Get out of that crowd and in to a better one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology