Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2018, 08:00 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times

Advertisements

Good article crossed my path this morning:

The most successful people in life live by this crucial philosophy according to Neil deGrasse Tyson
https://ideapod.com/successful-peopl...paign=goalcast

I have always been forward looking, trying new things regardless of the possibility of failure. And lots of failure has ensued, to be sure. But I always start again after the initial shock has passed. That's how you learn.

Mother always found all the reasons that my grand plans would not work. She rained on my parade every time. But I would rather try lots of things, fail if I must but move on, versus living a life based on fear.

You?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 09:25 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Good article crossed my path this morning:

The most successful people in life live by this crucial philosophy according to Neil deGrasse Tyson
https://ideapod.com/successful-peopl...paign=goalcast

I have always been forward looking, trying new things regardless of the possibility of failure. And lots of failure has ensued, to be sure. But I always start again after the initial shock has passed. That's how you learn.

Mother always found all the reasons that my grand plans would not work. She rained on my parade every time. But I would rather try lots of things, fail if I must but move on, versus living a life based on fear.

You?
Tyson is an extreme ardent atheist, for him to say where most people find purpose and love is a lie. He hasnt got a clue.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:49 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
My mother/father had nothing to do with motivation and happiness and holding me back..but personally I found more happiness, motivation in my life after a failed marriage that I thought was the one and only that was the ultimate. I think of some of the older women in our society that finally have a contentment with their mates and not necessarily marriage. Many had failed young marriages.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Tyson is an extreme ardent atheist, for him to say where most people find purpose and love is a lie. He hasnt got a clue.
Well that's interesting. I had never heard the phrase "ardent atheist" before, never mind an "extreme" one and just assumed you made it up. I was wrong. A search dumped me into all this stuff about it, FB and Twitter pages, discussion groups, etc. There was something related or similar to this years ago, called The Brights. Don't know if they're still active, though Dawkins mentioned them in one of his books.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Tyson's a brilliant guy and I suspect he has more clues than you and I put together. Clearly you're put off by a-theism but I support it wholeheartedly. That's one of the nicest things about our culture, since in the not-too-distant past (as well as currently in some parts of the world), anyone not accepting of the prevailing orthodoxy could very well be imprisoned, tortured, murdered. IMHO (notice how I qualified my upcoming statement, a habit I recommend), this is all to the good.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My mother/father had nothing to do with motivation and happiness and holding me back..but personally I found more happiness, motivation in my life after a failed marriage that I thought was the one and only that was the ultimate. I think of some of the older women in our society that finally have a contentment with their mates and not necessarily marriage. Many had failed young marriages.
Some couples stay married for a lifetime but I bet it's relatively rare. And I think it's related to life expectancy which in past ages was around 26. Staying with the early marriage if you weren't expected to live past 30 is a different matter if you might live to 80. Some even question marriage itself with all its attendant sexist roles. Medicine and science have changed the division of labor.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:08 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,618,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Some couples stay married for a lifetime but I bet it's relatively rare. And I think it's related to life expectancy which in past ages was around 26. Staying with the early marriage if you weren't expected to live past 30 is a different matter if you might live to 80. Some even question marriage itself with all its attendant sexist roles. Medicine and science have changed the division of labor.
2/3 marriages end in big D

on a good sidenote for us men; lotsa hottie divorcees runnin loose tho

Old 04-08-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
2/3 marriages end in big D

on a good sidenote for us men; lotsa hottie divorcees runnin loose tho
Wow: I knew it was 50% at one time--I had no idea it was 2/3!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology