Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 10:30 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,905,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Here's a quote from Wiki

"American comedian Bill Cosby has been the subject of publicized sexual assault allegations. With the earliest incidents allegedly taking place in the mid-1960s, Cosby has been accused by numerous women of rape, drug facilitated sexual assault, sexual battery, child sexual abuse, or sexual misconduct. Assault allegations against Cosby became more public after an October 2014 comedy routine by comedian Hannibal Buress alluding to Cosby's covert sexual misbehavior went viral, and many additional claims were made after that date. The dates of the alleged incidents span from 1965 to 2008 across 10 U.S. states and one Canadian province."

I remember hearing things in the 80's. It all reignited with Hannibal I guess.
Wow; I completely missed that.

When I heard about the recent cases I was very saddened and disappointed. At one time I had his records with the comedy routines. One of his remarks was that his wife couldn't refuse sex with him because they were Catholics. I thought it was a little odd, even back then, but seems more odd, now that the behavior is out in the open.

She's going to court with him and seems happy and smiling. How that is, is hard to understand.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 04-26-2018 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 12:35 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,021,108 times
So, just saw that he was convicted today.

"Bill Cosby was convicted Thursday of drugging and molesting a woman in the first big celebrity trial of the #MeToo era, completing the spectacular late-life downfall of a comedian who broke racial barriers in Hollywood on his way to TV superstardom as America’s Dad."
Bill Cosby convicted of drugging and molesting a woman

Old 04-26-2018, 12:37 PM

Yep:

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/bi...etrial-n869121

Old 04-26-2018, 02:57 PM

6,296 posts, read 4,194,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
When I was in high school Cosby came to speak but I was home sick that day. Later, in the yearbook, there was a photograph of him sitting on a desk in my homeroom! I was a fan back then, based mainly on civil rights issues, but if he had tried anything with me I would have knocked him through a wall.

It does appear that he's a bad guy who hurt a lot of women, and not to blame the women, but why would you hang out, alone, with an adult male whom you really don't know, or take some pill or drink from him. It's like the Clinton case which was one of the cases we were assigned to read in law school. Why would you go, alone, to some man's hotel room, someone you really don't know? Women get hurt, in part, because they are naive and trusting. They don't think ahead or appear to know how to defend themselves.

Man beaten to death with violin case.

But you are blaming women. If your booking agent says they have lined up a meeting for a project with a major star or producer and his staff who is visiting the area why would he or she presume they will be drugged and raped?
“A female executive with the company described how Weinstein assistants and others served as a ‘honey pot’ — they would initially join a meeting, but then Weinstein would dismiss them, leaving him alone with the woman,” Farrow reported.”

These women did not go to a hotel bedroom, they went to a suite that has rooms and thought they were in a meeting in the main area with several people. People conduct meetings in suites all the time.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:11 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,346,558 times
What's wrong with this, besides Robbins being a huckster peddling a secular brand of prosperity theology, is that he's demonstrating the kind of assumptions that men make about women, the kind of liberty we sometimes take. He is so tone deaf that he physically controlled and manipulated a woman's movements during a discussion about how men use their power to manipulate women. The irony is as beautiful as it is nauseating.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
But you are blaming women. If your booking agent says they have lined up a meeting for a project with a major star or producer and his staff who is visiting the area why would he or she presume they will be drugged and raped?
“A female executive with the company described how Weinstein assistants and others served as a ‘honey pot’ — they would initially join a meeting, but then Weinstein would dismiss them, leaving him alone with the woman,” Farrow reported.”

These women did not go to a hotel bedroom, they went to a suite that has rooms and thought they were in a meeting in the main area with several people. People conduct meetings in suites all the time.
Yeah, I know you're right.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:28 AM

20,378 posts, read 14,647,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
What's wrong with this, besides Robbins being a huckster peddling a secular brand of prosperity theology, is that he's demonstrating the kind of assumptions that men make about women, the kind of liberty we sometimes take. He is so tone deaf that he physically controlled and manipulated a woman's movements during a discussion about how men use their power to manipulate women. The irony is as beautiful as it is nauseating.
I don't think he did this out of tone-deafness, and I don't believe that it's ironic. And his huckster-ness is precisely WHY. If he had no awareness of how he came off or what messages he was sending, he would never be making money at this.

He is appealing to disempowered men, who are unhappy and want to blame society or women or whatever, or who dream and fantasize about taking charge of their lives. Thing is, whatever Robbins is selling isn't going to make these guys successful, that involves effort and facing risks and overcoming personal obstacles. That's ok, though, because the doctor does not profit from the cure, here. And such guru types can always so easily take advantage of anything, so if a follower succeeds, he takes credit and uses it for publicity...and if a follower fails, it's because he didn't do it right, or needs to buy yet another book or seminar or something. Either way, the guru wins. But most of his followers won't find success, they will instead keep propping up the guru's success instead. That's the whole idea.

So even though he's going to be criticized by some for this kind of display, there are men who would rush to buy his books after seeing that, because of the message: "I don't let women push me around. I do the pushing." To the perceptive, it's very obvious. I'd take any apology afterwards as nothing but a hand wave and eye roll, to shush any critics. The message is not retracted. It stands.

I mean, look at the titles of the man's books for crying out loud! "Unlimited Power." "Awaken the Giant Within." The problem is, powerful giants don't pay gurus for life advice once they achieve power or greatness, so...yeah. He's selling a fantasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology