Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 03:09 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
It's a power and insecurity issue.

They want to feel good about themselves and know the animal can't do anything about it.
And that's a pretty rotten thing to do, isn't it? Animals are like people: some are smart, some are dumb; some are loving and sweet, some are not. I like dogs but I'm a cat person, and when I interact with my cat, I know he has feelings, fears, needs, all of it.

Why are some people very cruel to animals ?-308855_181099961981723_272227956_n.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 11:56 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
They want to feel good about themselves and know the animal can't do anything about it.
It's completely bass-ackwards to feel good about yourself after causing an innocent creature to suffer.

And people wonder why I think animal abusers should be exempted from the "cruel and unusual punishments" clause of the 8th Amendment...

Old 06-12-2018, 04:01 AM

12 posts, read 10,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
I don't often get people who think animals can be treated like crap

Dogs, cats, bunnies, and all other animals are very generous and sweet given you take care of them right.

Some of them are abused, abandoned , hit, treated like crap.

Makes me pissed but yea if they don't like animals why have a pet? they have feelings too just like humans.

Animal Cruelity is also illegal i mean if you don't want your pet any more or don't care for it, maybe someone else will love it.

So anyways I ask whats the psychology why people treat animals bad.
The conventional explanation is that people are able to do terrible things to other people only after having dehumanized them. In the case of the Holocaust, for example, Germans were willing to exterminate millions of Jews in part because Nazi ideology taught them to think of Jews as subhuman, as objects without the right to freedom, dignity, or even life itself.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:02 AM

Human society is cruel and predicated on turning a blind eye to cruelty. The best way to preserve the planetary ecology, feed more people and preserve your health is to adopt a plant based diet. And people will frequently adopt this for selfish reasons with no concern for the sufferings of animals. At least the end result is good, and fewer animals are murdered, so great. But the person is less ethical, nonetheless. They're blind to the realities.

So, for many, it's not just the lives of cute little bunnies and puppies and kitties. It's fish, cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, calves, lambs, lobsters, sheep and all the long-suffering critters that humans devour. A change of heart is coming to many people, but it is slow in coming. Humans are a violent race. That's why people are cruel to animals.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:16 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
It's a power and insecurity issue.

Honestly I think this is it. It's about power. I'm active in dog rescue and the cruelty I've encountered is horrific.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:19 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
What bothers me is that many people are loving towards cute little puppies, kittens and bunnies, but have no qualms about eating cows and pigs and chickens. Or veal and lamb, which are babies. Big companies hide the torture of these animals behind pleasant graphics of happy farm animals and false notions like "free range" chicken--but the reality is a nightmare for these intelligent beings.

To me, anyone who espouses any kind of religion or spiritually but continues to support this animal holocaust, is inconsistent in their thinking. Psychologically, they're holding two opposing frames of reference, at the same time. Seems insane to me.
So wanting a hamburger makes someone a sociopath in your brain? Really?

Old 06-13-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So wanting a hamburger makes someone a sociopath in your brain? Really?
I didn't want to ignore your question but after getting myself into hot water on CityData on a few occasions in the past, my sense is that it would not be productive to debate AR (Animal Rights) and veganism on this thread because (a) we could get into trouble; and (b) we could get the OP's thread closed --which is unfair to them. It's a nice thread.

I was just adding my personal perspective, which I guess is allowed. But if you wanted to debate the issue, there are plenty of forums online to do that. After decades of engaging in debate about it, I don't do it any longer. I just respectfully refuse to.

The focus of the thread is why people are cruel to animals. My contention is that the culture is violent.

Postscript:
If you're really interested in this subject, see the following. Gary is a national treasure; he should be given the Nobel Prize. This is an updated version of the speech he gives on college campuses.

Best Speech You WIll Ever Hear (Updated) -Gary Yourofsky
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_K36Zu...oyQoM-p3gk8Yuk

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 06-13-2018 at 09:38 AM..

Old 06-13-2018, 02:03 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
It's completely bass-ackwards to feel good about yourself after causing an innocent creature to suffer.

And people wonder why I think animal abusers should be exempted from the "cruel and unusual punishments" clause of the 8th Amendment...
I feel that repeat offenders (because once could be a mistake in the justice system but twice probably isn't I figure) when it comes to animal cruelty, or abuse or molestation of children, should just be put down. If we can do it to a vicious animal we can do it to a vicious human.

But then I don't really believe that human life is that much more sacred than the life of other animals.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:56 AM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Because they suck?? And the poor defenseless animals are just an easy target for their suckiness. But seriously, it’s usually a sign of sociopathic and violent behavior... most (if not all?) serial killers start with harming animals, so yeah.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:06 AM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Human society is cruel and predicated on turning a blind eye to cruelty. The best way to preserve the planetary ecology, feed more people and preserve your health is to adopt a plant based diet. And people will frequently adopt this for selfish reasons with no concern for the sufferings of animals. At least the end result is good, and fewer animals are murdered, so great. But the person is less ethical, nonetheless. They're blind to the realities.

So, for many, it's not just the lives of cute little bunnies and puppies and kitties. It's fish, cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, calves, lambs, lobsters, sheep and all the long-suffering critters that humans devour. A change of heart is coming to many people, but it is slow in coming. Humans are a violent race. That's why people are cruel to animals.
I didn’t realize we were playing “spot the vegan,” lol. You can rationalize it all you want, but there is no psychological similarity between eating meat and personally abusing an animal. Even hunting for food doesn’t compare, as again, there’s a HUGE difference between swiftly killing for meat/resources vs torturing animals for pleasure or release. And I say all of this as a “mostly vegetarian” (just the occasional poultry) who has never hunted, and only even shot a gun once in my life.

Besides, the US now has something called “certified humane,” which identifies the meats produced from humane farms. On the rare occasions when I buy turkey/chicken, I always buy those if they’re available. And yes, there is such a thing as humane slaughter. So please, stop trying to twist this (unrelated subject) into your personal platform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology