Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 06:56 PM

950 posts, read 692,461 times

Advertisements

At first glance, you might think that my question is an Irrational question. But think about it because>> Even some lottery-winners have been known to commit suicide. And also even good-looking people have been known to commit suicide. And even some Millionaires have been known to commit suicide. So doesn't it all even out in the long run?

I remember that question was once asked of Marilyn vos Savant who you might know has a genius IQ. She gave an answer but I cannot recall what it was. I've been trying to find that answer online but cannot. So if someone can find it, I would appreciate. Also what do you all think of the point made?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 01:15 AM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
What do you mean by "suffering"? It means very different things to different people. On top of that, the degree to which each person ranks their personal degree of unhappiness (from mildly inconvenienced all the way up to torture) will influence what they admit to. To someone who does not value money very highly losing a fortune may not register as suffering. To someone who lives for money the same event might be worthy of suicide. Many people won't admit they are suffering. Others scream and wail at the drop of a hat over the smallest things.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:23 AM

61,725 posts, read 87,147,355 times
This question?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

All I did is Googled: Marilyn vos Savant, clicked on the first result, which is:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilyn_vos_Savant
and there was your famous question...

Old 05-26-2018, 04:38 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
At first glance, you might think that my question is an Irrational question. But think about it because>> Even some lottery-winners have been known to commit suicide. And also even good-looking people have been known to commit suicide. And even some Millionaires have been known to commit suicide. So doesn't it all even out in the long run?

I remember that question was once asked of Marilyn vos Savant who you might know has a genius IQ. She gave an answer but I cannot recall what it was. I've been trying to find that answer online but cannot. So if someone can find it, I would appreciate. Also what do you all think of the point made?
No they dont.
Pain enters every life. How a person chooses to deal with it defines how much they will suffer.

You break a finger but choose Not to seek medical care, your choice increases your suffering.

The rich or priveledged can experience suffering or suicide if they fall prey to an overreliance on the purely material.

Those with a firm grounding in spiritual principles are safest. Whatever a person values most , above all else in their life...
That is their God.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:26 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,653,765 times
Maybe people are psychologically hard-wired to be capable of emotions within certain extremes. If our mundane experiences don't move the emotional needle much, some may "amplify" experiences that do trend towards extreme elation or extreme sadness in order to experience that emotional limit. Engaging in certain behaviors can serve a similar function - drug use, I'd say less so as the "emotions" will not be felt in as genuine a way.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:42 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,137,280 times
Buddhism says every human (except a few enlightened ones) suffers because of grasping (holding onto what it is pleasant) or aversion (not being okay with the unpleasant). It's when we are okay with what is, including who we are, that suffering lessens/stops. So to that extent, everyone IS suffering, but in different ways and possibly not equally (can't really be quantified).

Old 05-26-2018, 02:02 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
^^^

"Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view."
-Yoda

Old 05-26-2018, 02:20 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Many people lead charmed lives. One would never know that, reading posts on City-Data where when it is mentioned that many people have a wonderful life it is immediately challenged with insistence that the wonderful lives of others are facades behind which lies deceit and multiple problems, some or many on the level of severity which are kept secret.

I don't think everyone suffers equality. Some people suffer to a much greater degree than others.

Everyone does have some pain, at times, though. Although a great number of people do have a charmed and wonderful life.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
If you mean to ask, does everyone have sadness, loss and pain in their lives, then yes. Everyone of us will suffer some time in our lives.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:41 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Nobody escapes it, but some people have a ton more suffering in their lives than others. I think there is an argument to be made that suffering can enhance other aspects of your life in some regards - the lessons you rake from it, the way it puts your other complaints into perspective, the way it makes the good times that much more precious. I know people who have just been repeatedly knocked down by life though, and I can't see the benefit of that. For some people life can just be one disaster after another through circumstances beyond their control, but then there's people who just make repeatedly bad choices.

I lost a best friend and her mother six months apart 20 years ago - that just blew up my world, and it still hurts. But I cherish my other friends and loved ones that much more because I understand the horror of losing someone you love and how you have to really let people know they are important to you. I was 40 before I realized how toxic my relationship with my mother was, leading me to cut her out of my life. Our relationship caused me all kinds of grief and torment - the benefit of it was that as an adult I've worked really hard to fill my life with good, supportive people to compensate for that lack in what should have been the primary relationship in my early life.

But for the best friend who died, I can say that her lifelong illness did not enhance her life or come with much of a bright side. That was just really unmitigated suffering - endless health problems, endless disruption of any plans she made, an endless sword of Damocles hanging over her head from the time she was born. I can't find the upside to her suffering.

People don't suffer equally. Not by a longshot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology