Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 06:49 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
It's not just one racist tweet! She has a history of racist remarks. Lots of similar remarks, and her network knew this about her, but this last was over the top and they couldn't ignore it (and not offend their viewers).

Susan Rice shares Roseanne's past tweet comparing her to an ape
http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know...-her-to-an-ape
Meh. I’m a classist. Roseanne always disgusted me as the worst qualities of white trash. Her show years ago wasn’t my demographic. Other than occasional sports, I don’t watch TV so her new show was invisible.

I think people are tribal. My tribe is white collar professionals. Most of us have a very different worldview because we travel and we read. I don’t think age or generation have anything to do with it. An affluent, educated, well traveled Millennial probably has a worldview similar to mine. My parents imparted a set of personal ethics. I don’t rape women or abuse a position of power. I understand the advantages I have and have empathy for those less fortunate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 12:51 AM

609 posts, read 350,005 times
It makes no sense to give Millinuels credit for awareness. In today's world, social media with all of its good and bad, has empowered people to question nonsense, while in the past, Weinstein like actions were covered up, but no more.

Rosanne comments were despicable(Goodbye!). Crosby is a rapist(he completely fooled everyone). All this is awareness, not millinuels!

Old 12-22-2018, 03:08 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
No, it's more along the line of, if you called someone trash beforehand, they'd be justified in punching you in the face. Unless you're a complete idiot, you'd learn quickly not to walk around and call people trash, leaving society better off.
I call you trash, you punch me and I blow your head off alls fair in war. Of course bullys dont like escalation of force to involve sniper rifles blowing their heart out when they are having thanksgiving dinner with family because they decided to be a d*ck head and beat someone.

They like the law to step in when its convient for them. You get to leverage your size, strength and martial arts skills but I dont get to leverage my sniper rifle skills, sorry, you punch someone your facing felony assult, its that simple.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:28 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
The OP attributes things to classes (i.e., gender, now Millennials) - that have nothing to do with the classes . . . makes huge leaps of "logic," and draws false, absurd conclusions.

No, Roseann did not willingly leave the show, for one . . .

The Millennials (all of them) are not abusing power . . .

Old 12-22-2018, 01:31 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I call you trash, you punch me and I blow your head off alls fair in war. Of course bullys dont like escalation of force to involve sniper rifles blowing their heart out when they are having thanksgiving dinner with family because they decided to be a d*ck head and beat someone.

They like the law to step in when its convient for them. You get to leverage your size, strength and martial arts skills but I dont get to leverage my sniper rifle skills, sorry, you punch someone your facing felony assult, its that simple.
Yikes!!!

Better to be at peace with people as much as you can, ain't it?

And that sometimes is what it comes to. Someone starts a problem, someone escalates it, someone finishes it.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:44 PM

6,301 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It started with a truly criminal Harvey Weinstein who deserves the punishment probably more than any of the other people in the public figures. But now it's including Roseanne who only made one stupid tweet.

That's quite a difference, but it seems that people aren't really differentiating, and they are sometimes acting like a mindless mob in some of the lesser incidents like Roseanne's tweet.

One stupid tweet, are you kidding! You don't accidentally make a tweet like that.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ne-barrs-tweet

Old 12-22-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Yikes!!!

Better to be at peace with people as much as you can, ain't it?

And that sometimes is what it comes to. Someone starts a problem, someone escalates it, someone finishes it.
The issue is bullys think its ok to beat someone for saying something but then when they get shot and killed society calls foul. I think thats an issue.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarita-WJC4T68NKL View Post
I think millennials were raised as if they were disabled people, so they're confused and their IQ may be suffering. I think they're living at a time when the media, social media, and globalist billionaires, are feeding them a lot of bs.

But if I may say a few things: I never much liked Roseanne. As to Weinstein, I knew even before fake feminists told me all about Weinstein, that Hollywood was built up in the 20s and 30s upon a habit of pedophilia, heavy adultery, homosexual activity, sexual experimentation of all kinds, group sex, and of course actors (of BOTH genders) handing out sex freely to the wealthy owners of movie companies, studios, whatever, in exchange for a role in a movie. I can't think of anyone who didn't know that. Maybe people who keep to themselves, such as the Amish, didn't know that. In fact, there were books written about that, even a long time ago. Everyone knew, and everyone knows, this is not something mysterious. Anyone who says that no one knew, is a liar.

That's not what's affecting millennials. What's happening in our modern age, and is affecting millennials (who were already raised as if they were helpless and disabled weenies), is something different and weird.

If I may please put it from my own personal perspective as a woman in order to explain? Ok, here goes:

Nowadays we have billionaire-financed fake feminists (many are lesbians, some are not) who manage and run organizations of fake feminism, and we have bizarre courses in college called, "women and (fill in the blank with whatever you want)." There are courses about women and their genitals. HELLO? I have woman genitals! I don't need to have a course on my genitals! There are also courses about how women are suffering. I'm being told daily, that as a woman, I'm sad, I'm very very sad, and I am supposed to feel:

1. Persecuted by men;
2. Abused by men;
3. Discriminated by men;
4. Talked down to by men;
5. Looked at funny by men;
6. Ridiculed by men;
7. Treated as a sexual being by men (good heavens, I sure hope they don't stop!);
8. Wrongly denied "rights" into their male clubs (for example, the BOY Scouts);
9. Many more things that I'm supposed to hate men for.

The problem is this: I never hated men, men never treated me badly, I never suffered at the hands of men, my dad is a man, my brothers are men, my nephews are men, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM! So I'm baffled by this whole new "let's hate men" theory. In fact, women I know who've had it better than I have, are some of these fake feminists who whine and whine and whine about men. All this insanity has got to be affecting female millennials adversely, and they're already at a disadvantage because they're millennials!

I think millennials are not so much taking advantage of things, as they are A HOT BOILING MESS!!!! And they're a mess in part because they were raised like disabled, and because lies and myths are being taught to them the media, college, and social media. They are a little worthy of pity.
No, it is so much simpler than this. Millennials are broke. So the ones that have smart supportive families move back home to save up their ridiculously meager exploitative wages so they can actually pay off debt, buy a house and start a business/family. Without support a lot become homeless or are living check to check because cost of living is not even in the same solar system as wages anymore (other than for the elusive good job). Try applying for a GS-8 or higher federal job without knowing someone and let me know how it goes lol.

The issue is that labor has little value now, even skilled labor, engineering and craft labor unless you get VERY lucky and live where there is some shortage of some niche and you happen to have that EXACT niche. Even then its fleeting because bean counters will be itching to let you go as soon as your services are no longer needed so you still need to be living at home to bank as much as humanly possible.

There is no such thing as building a career, paying your dues or any of that anymore for young people, you get as much money as possible to start your own thing while living at home. Otherwise your going to always have one foot in a homeless camp. Real wages and job security compared to COL are absolutely deplorable in the USA anymore.

Millenials know this and act accordingly, we live in a highly distrustful antagonistic culture. Mostly due to corporate bean counters who are driving these restructurings, mass lay offs, reorganizations what ever you want to call it. These corporations have built monopolies and it is incredibly difficult for small business to compete against them so they fail and then when the mega corp has a mass lay off there are few if any other employers offering jobs so you end up with a giant mess, homeless camps all kinds of social problems as the market is now flooded with people that have similar skill sets and VERY few jobs for them. For some its easy to just up and move (usually they up and move back home), but for those that took the massive gamble to buy a house and have a family and they hinged that decision on their employment they are up the creek.

Alot of millenials are extremely smart and they see this going on, they dont trust their employers and rightfully so so they always have one foot out the door and wont put up with much because their life is structured such that they just go back home and regroup. They know that putting up with "dues paying" is nonsense because there is no corner office with a 120k job waiting for them and they are right.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:19 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
What power?

If Millennials were the most powerful generation Donald Trump wouldn't be President and he sure wouldn't be as popular as he is.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarita-WJC4T68NKL View Post
Hmm... my 3 nephews (one is a lawyer, one is a physician, and one is a computer engineer doing a combination masters-Ph.D. and working in the summer for a social media company) are doing fine. But more concerning to me is that corporations are hiring Indians, Filipinos, other Asians, Muslims, and all kinds of people who come on special work visas, and they're making nice salaries. That worries me a lot! If you say there are no jobs, or only crap jobs, how come all these foreigners are getting jobs and doing quite well at them? I know some of them!

I'm not trying to be at all argumentative. I'm seriously interested in knowing your point of view, and more importantly, how to solve the problem of foreigners taking professional jobs, when our millennials are the ones who should be occupying those positions. I'd rather American millennials have all those jobs. I want the influx of foreigners stopped, and our millennials all hired.
Because we as voters allow it, I am an engineer and I was forced to work at a liquor store for a few months after my lay off, during this time I met some H1 whatevers and grilled them about their jobs and they laughed and didnt know basic electrical engineering fundamentals and they were working for a telecom company that I had applied numerous times to.

The department head at my old company I was laid off from did not know his own discipline of electrical engineering (impedance matching, dynamic impedance matching with variable loads).

They are doing fine today, they have no special privileges as a US citizen (which we most certainly should). Thus they are subject to lay offs at any time and unless there are alot of competitors in your area once you are laid off from a mega corp (or a tiny oligopoly of mega corps) there is little else to apply for. Its a very serious issue in alot of parts of the US.

Medical doctors still have the AMA and the barries to entry are still staggering, but mostly the AMA protects doctors from undue competition. Its nearly impossible to transfer a medcial license from else where over seas. Where as the national society of professional engineers is completely impotent, my PE license carrys almost no value, companies are not forced to use specific engineers for stamping etc.

I have thought about doing medical but I have no interest in going into a hundred grand in debt for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology