Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 03:34 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,885 times

Advertisements

Come and join my club, DENSA. We're not as smart as the MENSA folks, but we have a lot more fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 04:31 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
No, not according to a very famous longitudinal study by Lewis Terman. See:

The Truth About the "Termites"
What do the results of Lewis Terman's famous study really demonstrate?
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...t-the-termites

Terman's subjects had IQ scores averaging 151, and long-term, instead of being disaffected, alienated odd-balls, as the common mythology suggests, they were happier, lived longer, had happier marriages and higher professional accomplishments.
I know of a woman in that study and she was certainly successful and happy in her life.

-----------------------

I took the Mensa test once and passed it in the required time, but all that did was depress me more. I kept wondering why I was in such a bad financial place in my life when I was supposed to be that smart. Since then I've learned that being smart isn't the cure-all for everything and doesn't make life easy. I've also learned we all have special gifts and while I have a good memory and am great at spatial imagery, I flunk when it comes to social skills and self esteem. Just because there's a place to measure what I do best doesn't mean I'm the best.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:14 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
I was on Mensa International's website earlier this week and after poking around discovered that based on 3rd grade IQ scores and GRE test scores I qualify for membership. Is anyone a member or know of a member of this organization? Does it make a difference in your/their life? If so, how? I know that researchers have found that married couples tend to share IQ. So, there must be something to IQ in terms of compatibility, but I'm not sure how to pin that down. Any ideas out there on this CD forum?

Or is IQ just tied to fairy-taleism and is not a valid or useful construct/concept/*reality*?

Thanks in advance.
It's a useless elitist organization. I've been "eligible" for membership since 1963, when they gave me my first IQ test (I scored 152). I don't care. I have never joined. I WILL never join. I have no interest in a bunch of people who want to get together and feel like they are Extra Super Duper Special because they scored high on a test. There are a PLETHORA of things wrong with the IQ tests, including the fact that they are so culturally biased and rely so heavily on only a handful of aspects of human ability. You need a good memory and to be widely read to score well, and that's about it. The problem solving sections are interesting but not necessarily terribly useful in your everyday life. An artist who is acknowledged to be a "genius" in the field of art is unlikely to score particularly highly on an IQ test. A cabinet maker may make gorgeous (and complicated to construct) furniture, and still score low or average on an IQ test.

It just has no meaning in the real world. All it means is you have a lot of the skills they bother to test for. There are tons of other skills they don't test for at all. And unfortunately many times IQ tests are administered by school personnel who have a dog in the fight - such as liking a kid and wanting them to score highly so they can get in a gifted program, or to make them feel better. I can't tell you how many times I retested a kid who supposedly was tested by their school counselor or other school personnel, only to find that they had been coached through the first test, or given extra time, or even (on several occasions) were actually given the answers by the test administrator on the first occasion. We put entirely too much emphasis on "IQ". It's just a number. Big deal.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:19 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
Exactly which part of my comment was not true?
ALL of it. It was only 2 sentences long - you can't figure out what he was referring too? LOL!

Old 06-22-2018, 06:02 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,899 times
I have a hard time taking IQ scores seriously when the average score is about 145 among those I have met. That is quite hard to believe from a statistical viewpoint.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:27 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
I have a hard time taking IQ scores seriously when the average score is about 145 among those I have met. That is quite hard to believe from a statistical viewpoint.
Are you saying that the average score is 145 of "all the people" that you have met or all the people that you have met in MENSA? Yes, the first is quite hard to believe statistically but the second is not.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:29 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
IQs are fairly meaningless as they don't correlate directly with success in life. They also don't measure all forms of intelligence.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
I've heard the same. Many celebrities also claim to have IQs that are off the charts, although offer nothing to prove it. Many parents I know tell me their child has a genius level IQ.

High IQs must be common as mud.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:38 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
ALL of it. It was only 2 sentences long - you can't figure out what he was referring too? LOL!
"too?" LOL

Old 06-22-2018, 08:05 PM

17,582 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
Exactly which part of my comment was not true?
The entire comment

Quote:
Perhaps OP is looking for the social component. If someone is of high intelligence, I would imagine that there's a strong chance that spending your time with those of lower intelligence could become rather mundane without some sort of cerebral outlet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology