Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 06:10 AM

51 posts, read 57,480 times

Advertisements

I don't include "women and children" because I've heard criminals in gangs will often get someone of the same age as a teenager to beat them up whether they're male or female (slightly less so if they're female).

What brought this question up is thinking of the country I live in Western Europe and the increase in assaults. I've noticed though that many assaults are on men who are white and non white. I don't think I've ever heard of in Ireland or the UK of an attractive, posh woman who was ever assaulted by a man. Robbery, yes definitely but not a random assault that is more likely to happen to a male.

This isn't a debate on what gender has it easier but trying to understand the psychology of these people. I don't think women being "off limits" is actually altruistic as it appears because these people would torture the same random woman they're not assaulting if she was somehow involved in an argument with their wife (who they consider their property).

Is this phenomenon similar in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 07:02 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Your thinking seems very simplistic. "Criminals" are people who commit crimes, and they are as diverse as any other group of people on the planet. So are their victims. And yes, women of all socioeconomic classes are victims of assault. I wonder what makes you think they are exempt.

Do you often try to sort individuals into categories? Does this help you make sense of a random world?

Old 07-08-2018, 07:18 AM

6,305 posts, read 4,199,353 times
No, criminals don’t care. I haven’t read or seen any examples to support your weird and odd question. The types of assault , location, circumstances are what determine who gets hurt.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:20 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
It's not possible to answer your question, without a better understanding of what prompted it. An increase in assaults in Europe? What kind of assaults? Assaults by whom? Random violence? Or muggings (for money)? Women get mugged, their purses get snatched. Do people go around beating up women? Generally, no, but women have always had to deal with rape, and often it hasn't even been considered a crime. It's the one type of crime that's very difficult to prosecute, and the only type of crime in which the victim isn't believed, and has her character attacked in court.

Has there been a sudden increase in random public beatings in Europe? What's going on?

Old 07-08-2018, 10:53 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's not possible to answer your question, without a better understanding of what prompted it. An increase in assaults in Europe? What kind of assaults? Assaults by whom? Random violence? Or muggings (for money)? Women get mugged, their purses get snatched. Do people go around beating up women? Generally, no, but women have always had to deal with rape, and often it hasn't even been considered a crime. It's the one type of crime that's very difficult to prosecute, and the only type of crime in which the victim isn't believed, and has her character attacked in court.

Has there been a sudden increase in random public beatings in Europe? What's going on?

I too don't get the question, OP....

Old 07-08-2018, 11:02 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
I find this funny in a morbid way, as I was just thinking about men and the crimes they perpetuate on women (i.e., rape).

No, I don't think "criminals" follow "chivalry."

Old 07-08-2018, 11:29 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I too don't get the question, OP....
Me neither. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-09-2018 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:45 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Nope! The guy who chose to rob our business thought nothing of attacking my being. He (male), myself (female).
The kicker is...I was asked to give a victim statement to the judge. He (the criminal ) was allowed a copy which has all my information on it for the court record. Now I'm not the brightest bulb in a group...but two things stopped me from submitting a statement. (1). It would surely delight this man to know what power he had that day and how it effected my life hence onward. And (2) he gets all my living information so that in six months he can trick or treat at my home. No thanks. Criminals seem to get the last laugh I've found.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:11 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieRainwater View Post
I have noticed how his subject matter is always weird and scary and he usually mentions masturbation. I think he's a serial killer getting his kicks.
Ugh, so I guess we are all HIS victims now. Like having to see some sicko expose himself. Gross.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:18 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,043 times
There do exists criminals who choose to perpetrate their crimes, typically more financial in nature, only upon perceived equals (or near equals).

They have empathy but, only in a marginal or fractional form. They justify their actions by attacking those most condemned by society or, rivals only. This is not necessarily gender specific. This helps them reconcile themselves psychologically. Quite a few street corner dealers and block bosses seem to act this way and, these few, if they were offered a legal way to financially strengthen themselves, they might do so.

Most criminals are not like this.

Most crminals are a hideous combination of brutish, unintelligent, vulturous, predatory and, cowardly traits that ill benefit any society, except fornthe copius amounts of corrections, law enforcement, counseling and, legal jobs that grow from this. There usually ain't pest exterminators without pests...

At the other end of spectrum are psychotic sociopaths. These few are those who indulge predatory desires to inflict harm on others. They feel nothing except a desire to sate their own curiosities. They can often appear to feel things they actually don't. These few could rightly be called "evil" and, also ill benefit society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology