Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 02:28 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times

Advertisements

Do you know of a person who behaves in a very charming, personable, happy, emotionally stable way with others - and others have a good opinion of him or her - but that same person behaves very differently with a significant other or relative or family member behind closed doors and in those relationships?

I've read how it is not uncommon for some men (and some women) to be emotionally abusive or a tyrant or behave in an ugly way to one's spouse or significant other or family member - but others who are his acquaintances, even friends, co-workers all think highly of him because he behaves in personable charming ways to those who are not his significant other or his relative or in his family.

Some people with Borderline Personality Disorder and/or Narcissistic Personality Disorder behave in pathological ways - but not all people in his or her life - see the negative parts of the person.

It also happens where negative behavior comes out in a close intimate relationship, but not with others in a person's life.

Last edited by matisse12; 07-30-2018 at 03:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 02:44 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Not in my personal life. I try to avoid abusers. Life provides enough challenges. Why add unnecessary drama.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:02 PM

24 posts, read 10,211 times
I was accused of these disorders - all of it - bipolar, narcissistic, mood disorder

The distressful emotions are triggered simply because I am in a stressful situation with legal consequences, and I felt that the discussion isn't just a simple statement, but an accusation with intended harmful consequences.

Otherwise, I am used to frustrations and can deal with it just fine.

People will loosely label others, but sometimes, you also have to ask yourself - what triggered these negative emotions, instead of thinking of the display of these emotions by itself is problematic.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:06 PM

Borderline Personality Disorder is not bipolar. If interested, you can put 'Borderline Personality Disorder' into google.com and you will see all the characteristics of this disorder.

'Narcissistic Personality Disorder' can also be googled to see all of the characteristics of this disorder.

Both are established disorders using those exact names.

But I just used those two disorders as examples of what can cause pathological behavior.

Your points are to be considered, Zavs.

Last edited by matisse12; 07-30-2018 at 04:15 PM..

Old 07-31-2018, 02:07 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Jekyll Hyde = passive aggressive

I've known some in my life.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:53 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
My ex was like this. "Charming and personable" were the adjectives used to describe him.

But oh yeah, behind closed doors---all hell broke loose! He fit your 2 definitions perfectly. Not fun.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:14 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
One of my grandmothers was like this. Unfortunately, she lived with us.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:35 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Do you know of a person who behaves in a very charming, personable, happy, emotionally stable way with others - and others have a good opinion of him or her - but that same person behaves very differently with a significant other or relative or family member behind closed doors and in those relationships?

I've read how it is not uncommon for some men (and some women) to be emotionally abusive or a tyrant or behave in an ugly way to one's spouse or significant other or family member - but others who are his acquaintances, even friends, co-workers all think highly of him because he behaves in personable charming ways to those who are not his significant other or his relative or in his family.
Aren't so many people like this? Maybe not to the extreme of being abusive or tyrannical to their family, but I always thought it was common to treat your friends/acquaintances/even strangers the best and your family the worst. That's why there's so much family drama: because you can say and act in ways that you'll never do with other people.

My children are a little like this and they are obviously too young to be self-aware. They act up and are disobedient around us (I'm their mom), but when their friends are around, all of a sudden, they are the sweetest, most obedient children ever.

My mom is like this. She resents my dad and is very rude, haughty, and mean to him. But she'll turn around and smile and talk to me (or anyone else that's not my dad) very pleasantly and nicely. I've always hated her two-facedness. My spouse's family is like this, but not to my mom's extreme.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:27 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

Some people with Borderline Personality Disorder and/or Narcissistic Personality Disorder behave in pathological ways - but not all people in his or her life - see the negative parts of the person.

It also happens where negative behavior comes out in a close intimate relationship, but not with others in a person's life.

I have this diagnosis, BPD. As a young girl from teens to adulthood, I exhibited many but not all of the 9 characteristics that qualify under the umbrella of BPD. Over the years I was treated for depression, major, but unfortunately not until I was an adult did I get a proper diagnosis and treatment, proper meds for BPD. Well actually, therapy is the choice treatment but some meds helped my symptoms and improved depression as well.

If you've delved into BPD you'll know it's hard to treat...as the basis for this illness is deeply ingrained in problematic/abusive relationships from childhood.

To have the diagnosis you must generally present 5 of 9, I believe, characteristics of BPD....currently I do not meet the criteria so am termed in remission.

Problematic relationships are the hallmark of this illness. I can be quite charming but at times have unstable relationships. I was married for 20 plus years so it was never bad in my relationship with him until near the end. But other relationships, yes....difficult my entire life. Luckily I did not experience violence of any kind.

Are you thinking of someone in particular as you ask your questions?

Old 08-01-2018, 02:06 PM

Part of it is, to what degree one is different with a significant other, spouse, girlfriend/boyfriend, family member or a relative.

Most everyone behaves differently with a significant other or family member, but it's the degree to which one behaves differently. While co-workers, friends, acquaintances may find a person personable, charming, and a very nice person, a significant other or family member may see a whole different side to the same person - and the degree to which that person behaves in pathological, negative, hurtful, angry ways is the crux.

It's interesting when co-workers, friends, acquaintances say they could never believe or are shocked by behavior which they've never seen in a person - for example, when a person commits a serious crime or is involved in a serious domestic abuse incident in the home, or embezzlement or any unorthodox unexpected behavior etc - and mothers often say "my son or my daughter would never do that (commit a crime like murder, assault, robbery, theft, or even more minor transgressions of any kind)".

One hears about people who have a public facade and are very different in private. It's surprising how easily people can be fooled - and friends or co-workers or acquaintances will maintain how pathological or negative personality traits could not possibly be part of the personality of someone who they think they know.

Last edited by matisse12; 08-01-2018 at 03:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology