Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 04:19 PM

9 posts, read 8,583 times

Advertisements

So what is it with these types of individuals? Gender has nothing to do with this from my observations because i’v seen it many times on both sides. Usually we humans “settle” for someone that’s on our ranking of attractiveness, education, and health (slim fit body). I’v came across many friends of friends who are very narcissistic and shallow yet they are the completely opposite of the attributes they seek in a partner.

With social media taking over, I guess society becomes more shallow? Idk but one thing forsure is that i’v never seen a chubby chick with fit guy with abs, and i’v never seen a fat nerd guy with a model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 04:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatAZ View Post
With social media taking over, I guess society becomes more shallow? Idk but one thing forsure is that i’v never seen a chubby chick with fit guy with abs, and i’v never seen a fat nerd guy with a model.
Luckily for the majority of us who fall in between those extremes we somehow manage to couple up.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Luckily for the majority of us who fall in between those extremes we somehow manage to couple up.
I agree that in your situation, average and average goes together most of the times. No one has to be on the extreme side of the spectrum.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:30 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
No one has to be on the extreme side of the spectrum.
Right.

That’s probably why you “never” see the extremes together. Most everyone is average.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:32 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
The movie Shallow Hal comes to mind.

I think people who fit this 'type' are subconsciously aware of their own inferiority, and are hoping for an external validation (the person who is out of their league) to prove to everyone that they are better than that. Alternatively, if they were to be with someone they perceive to be an inferior specimen, they believe others will perceive them to be similarly inferior. I have seen this manifested in both women and men I know personally.

Everyone gets to set their own bar, but not everyone gets their wishes fulfilled. Such is life.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:34 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:

I have

Old 08-12-2018, 04:42 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
So what is it with these types of individuals? Gender has nothing to do with this from my observations because i’v seen it many times on both sides. Usually we humans “settle” for someone that’s on our ranking of attractiveness, education, and health (slim fit body). I’v came across many friends of friends who are very narcissistic and shallow yet they are the completely opposite of the attributes they seek in a partner.

Why does it matter? Some fit guys do like chubby women. You can’t tell other people who they should be attracted to. If they want to be unrealistic in their standards then that’s their business.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:46 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:

How would you know what a guy's abs are like? Do you lift his shirt?

Old 08-12-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Alternatively, if they were to be with someone they perceive to be an inferior specimen, they believe others will perceive them to be similarly inferior. I have seen this manifested in both women and men I know personally.

Everyone gets to set their own bar, but not everyone gets their wishes fulfilled. Such is life.
Wow absolute beautiful description! It makes total sense.

As for the part I highlighted/quoted, unfortunately I think this is how a lot of friendships end aswell. For example I had this blonde Russian female friend throughout high school, then while I’m in college, she ended up being a model, payed and everything. Slowly over the years she stopped hanging out and never posted any of our hiking or hanging out pictures together.

Our mutual friends even say she abandoned them for the club type of scene. My point is that your quote about being around others will make them feel society is judging them based on how their friend/partner are perceived.

This leads me to my next theory, are social hierarchies/popularity rank all just shallow circles that try to only hangout with people on their level of attractiveness? And I don’t mean just high school but also college, in the work place, and every social setting you can think of. For example I never see slobs walking down rodeo drive in Beverly Hills nor ever see low gyne people at fancy restaurants.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:50 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Wow, I really had no idea the survival of a social species was this hard. A miracle that any humans reproduce at all. Somewhere some of them managed to loosen up, throw pre-conceived notions to the winds, and defy their fate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology