Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 08:02 PM

987 posts, read 823,969 times

Advertisements

So sometimes I get anxious and sweat when the focus is on me. Lol. I know this is sense by others I'm looked at as inferior and not confident. I don't get like this with people I feel very comfortable around. Guess I'm overly worried about how look/am percieved. I'm good at what I do and actually very outgoing but I don't know why I get nervous. I know this may sound funny but I think maybe it stems from my mother abandoning me when I was 5. Thank God we have a great dad who did a great job. I know I probably need to see a therapist and maybe meds. Even writing this I feel less than. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 08:38 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Help us match you to the right online therapist.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:14 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Find a therapist to help you deal with your anxiety issues.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:12 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Try EFT (Brad Yates, YouTube, is great).

Old 09-14-2018, 03:16 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
Every one feels this way at times, depending on the situation and the comfort/discomfort of that time and place. Don't be so hard on yourself. You are probably just normal and if you feel inadequate, just float. Try to see those other people in their underwear in your head. And then laugh.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:45 PM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
So sometimes I get anxious and sweat when the focus is on me. Lol. I know this is sense by others I'm looked at as inferior and not confident. I don't get like this with people I feel very comfortable around. Guess I'm overly worried about how look/am percieved. I'm good at what I do and actually very outgoing but I don't know why I get nervous. I know this may sound funny but I think maybe it stems from my mother abandoning me when I was 5. Thank God we have a great dad who did a great job. I know I probably need to see a therapist and maybe meds. Even writing this I feel less than. Ugh.
Most people do perform better around people they know. If you are being asked to show something by complete strangers you must be good. Perhaps work on your ability to connect with new people? Do you introduce yourself first? I would also ask new people questions about their goals or intentions with the presentation or demonstration.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:07 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Every one feels this way at times, depending on the situation and the comfort/discomfort of that time and place. Don't be so hard on yourself. You are probably just normal and if you feel inadequate, just float. Try to see those other people in their underwear in your head. And then laugh.
I also think the OP is probably normal. But I guess it would depend on how often and in what specific situations this occurs.

OP, I'd be very hesitant to start with meds and/or therapy unless this is really impacting your life.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
I know this may sound funny but I think maybe it stems from my mother abandoning me when I was 5.
Anxiety disorders are quite often one long-term result of trauma earlier in life.

There are a lot of treatments for anxiety. Not all are pharmacological. If you feel your life is significantly impacted by your anxiety, it might be worth looking into your options. Cognitive-Behavioral therapy is one mode of non-medication treatment commonly applied in the case of anxiety symptoms.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:43 PM

987 posts, read 823,969 times
Thanka everyone. I really have to work on cooking across very nervous sometimes. It def affects how people view me if I'm nervous and voice trembling and sweating a little. Doesn't happen with people I'm comfortable with or I feel I know more than. Think now I'm anxious about giving a presentation and looking nervous... Lol. People have pointed it out so it's obvious. Really need to overcome the fear of how ill look when reviewing work. But let's face it people do judge you on your performance. Thanks

Old 09-15-2018, 07:14 AM

36 posts, read 27,164 times
I haven't tested it myself, but meditation is supposed to help a lot in cases of anxiety. Might be worth a try?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology