Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 06:43 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times

Advertisements

Do you have any deep emotional wounds that you have actually healed, and if so, how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 08:17 AM

6,301 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Yes,it’s a work in progress but the first decision in my late teens was that I wanted to live a happy life and make happy memories. The second was to confront the horrors that I had faced. I nurtured the good relationships in my life and never took good people for granted. I stopped walking on eggshells and now when I start feeling I need to please,appease or placate someone it’s an alarm bell that something is not right in the relationship. Doesn’t always mean they are wrong but it means I need to watch why and make a determination,luckily it rarely happens. I’ve also learned to recognize if I am projecting and nip that in the bud.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:18 AM

36 posts, read 27,156 times
Yes I did, with my mother. To make a long story short, she was very close to my younger sister and more or less ignored me.
After she died 15 years ago, I had counselling, for the first time of my life. The person I talked to was kind, and listened. Asked questions now and then. Slowly, I began to understand why my mother had behaved the way she did. I realized she had been deeply unhappy as well, maybe more than me (and that is saying something). That was the key I felt. I saw my mother's side (and even felt sorry for her in the end).
Now, "healed" is a big word, childhood traumas can never be erased, but the pain was greatly reduced and I feel so much better now. I am being myself if you see what I mean, not desperate to please everyone all the time.
The bonus is that relations with my sister have improved and we can now talk to each other with no hostility.
I only have a big regret: if I'd had counselling before my mother died, we could have patched things up and have a "normal" mother-daughter relationship.

Of course, it depends on the trauma, how serious it was. I don't pretend counselling can be THE solution every time, but talking to a real professional definitely helped me. Get the pain out of your chest and understand the other one's point of view.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:11 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,510 times
Sort of.

I endured an abusive relationship at the hands of my father when I was young. It took me a great many years to understand that (a) it wasn't my fault, and (b) to learn to forgive. I say 'sort of' because although I forgave my dad's actions as best I could many years ago, I still sometimes have feelings well up inside, self-degradation, of 'it was all your fault', 'you're not worthy', etc. The way I learned to forgive my father was to look at his past, when he was a child, and see all of the horrors that he went through which ultimately shaped his life. I finally understood that his actions had nothing to do with me, even though they directly affected me. [I wasn't condoning anything, btw; far from it. I was simply learning to understand why he treated me the way he did.]

Forgiveness of others can be highly difficult when the transgression is harmful. Forgiveness of oneself - esp. when there really is nothing to forgive - is excruciatingly difficult.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:21 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
I think that some emotional wounds last a lifetime. But not dwelling on an emotional wound is key. And one can certainly live a great life, despite an emotional wound.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:07 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Time and work to understand it all and keep moving on.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:17 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
We all get emotional wounds if we're alive, so have to learn how to deal with them. FWIW, I think much of the problem lies in how we define "heal" and having unrealistic expectations of that. Some people assume healing means forgetting. As long as they can remember it, they aren't healed. Other people assume they must forgive in order to heal. As long as they resent, mourn or whatever, they aren't healed. Then there's plain old unwillingness to accept unchangeable history. None of these are realistic. The problem ends up being their expectation of the process, not the healing of the wound itself.

IMHO, a wound can be healed even if there's a scar, even though you have a memory, and even though the emotions surrounding it aren't pleasant. The difference is in how you view the entire thing over time. Acknowledging what you feel every time you accidentally or intentionally brush against that scab or touch that memory. You can either touch the scab, let the moment wash over and diffuse away and then close that little drawer again, or you can keep picking at the scab over and over and over again, never able or willing to leave it alone. People who do this may rationalize it saying they are simply "processing" the event in order to heal, but are they really? To be able to face up to the sad or angry feelings that serve as wrapping paper for an unwelcome package means being able to put it away when some other task needs doing. But, by doing it you also have to be willing to leave it alone, not live on and on using it as fuel for the other aspects of your life or using it to get sympathy from others.

So much for this non-professional view of it. Maybe it makes sense to me anyway.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-16-2018 at 01:33 PM..

Old 09-16-2018, 02:57 PM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
I have learned to move on but the wounds won't heal unfortunately. It could be muscle memory that causes me to feel like I haven't truly gotten over bad experiences. I feel an ache in my chest when I think about specific parts of my past so I try not to.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:44 PM

71 posts, read 53,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
Sort of.

I endured an abusive relationship at the hands of my father when I was young. It took me a great many years to understand that (a) it wasn't my fault, and (b) to learn to forgive. I say 'sort of' because although I forgave my dad's actions as best I could many years ago, I still sometimes have feelings well up inside, self-degradation, of 'it was all your fault', 'you're not worthy', etc. The way I learned to forgive my father was to look at his past, when he was a child, and see all of the horrors that he went through which ultimately shaped his life. I finally understood that his actions had nothing to do with me, even though they directly affected me. [I wasn't condoning anything, btw; far from it. I was simply learning to understand why he treated me the way he did.]

Forgiveness of others can be highly difficult when the transgression is harmful. Forgiveness of oneself - esp. when there really is nothing to forgive - is excruciatingly difficult.

It took me decades to realize everything you said--figuring out it wasn't my fault, learning to forgive, etc. I've come to understand the abuse my parents inflicted was in part due to the pain they experienced in their own childhood. I've spent $1000s of dollars on therapy but still struggle with forgiveness of self, seeing myself as unworthy, etc. It's a long road when childhood abuse shapes your psyche. It leaves you with baggage that is so difficult to unload. I worked hard to do well in school and excel in my career as a way of proving myself worthy; then I got sick and had to give up my job to focus on my health. It made me dependent again and I've hated it. I have been a doormat for much of my adult life and it has shaped many decisions I've made over the years. The old adage of "I wish I knew then what I know now" comes to mind as I find myself living in the wake of those decisions. I'm somewhat trapped, due to many factors, in my current circumstance and while I'm not being abused, it's a lonely and unfulfilling existence much of the time.

I'd agree that the forgiveness of self is the most difficult. I berate myself for putting up with the abuse for as long as I did--physical and emotional in childhood, emotional in adulthood--and I often feel as though all the bad things that have happened to me are my fault. I should have been stronger. I should have fought back. I should have done more to escape the abuse. Maybe I just want too much. I know that sometimes life just sucks. But I'm at an age where, when I look back, all I see is pain and struggle. It is difficult to feel any hope that it will be any different in my old age. So, in order to cope, I just accept that this is my lot. I try to find happiness in small victories and be grateful for good days, even if they are few and far between.

Sorry to be such a downer. I guess in my case, I haven't healed and I probably never will.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:30 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
For me "healing" was learning a new way to think about my life. I was framing it in a way that kept me stuck. When I let go of my resentments and made some crucial behavior changes I began to see myself as a strong and resilient person.

It wasn't a rapid process. The core of the work took most of my Thirties but it is probably the nicest gift I could have ever given myself.

And yes, I think it is an ongoing process. That's the good news because it means there is more strengthening to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology