Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 08:47 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times

Advertisements

EMDR is very effective for c-PTSD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There's an acupuncture technique specifically for trauma and PTSD, that works remarkably well. It's not well-known, though. It's not part of what has become the "standard" acupuncture curriculum, which is based on a system Mao devised, and labelled "Traditional Chinese Medicine". This has become the norm in acupuncture schools in the West today. The REAL traditional acupuncture, that has been preserved in Taiwan and Hong Kong, and in a few schools that offer it in the West, includes the trauma treatment in its methodology.
This is good info - you should start a separate thread about it, because it's really important. Is this Five Elements or something else?

Old 01-24-2020, 08:57 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I’ve been in EMDR therapy for 4 years now. It has lessened my symptoms but not resolved them. I’ve been thru many, many traumatic experiences since the age of 3 or 4 and up until the age of 53 (im 61 now). I have a very good therapist. I used to think that I was just too damaged to recover. I think that I’ve just turned a corner in that I’m finally getting a consistent good nights sleep with seroquel. Ive been on it just a short time but feeling very good.
I hope that helps.
I see. I'm sorry you've been through all of that trauma. Have you tried Somatic Experiencing? Some therapists prefer it to EMDR.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
This is good info - you should start a separate thread about it, because it's really important. Is this Five Elements or something else?
This is from an acupuncture modality called "Ghost Point acupuncture", and the specific treatment in that toolkit is called "Seven Dragons". It's an old Taoist exorcism technique. This may sound too woo-woo for some, but I don't care how woo-woo something sounds, if it gets results.

There are only 2 people in my town who know the technique. People living where there are a lot of Chinese immigres from Hong Kong and Taiwan (Bay Area, LA, NYC) should have no trouble finding a practitioner. There used to be a teacher from Taiwan offering a course in this at UCLA. One of my local practitioners was her student, and he taught the other guy, who was his apprentice. I've heard Texas of all places has some good Taiwanese Chinese medicine practitioners.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
This is from an acupuncture modality called "Ghost Point acupuncture", and the specific treatment in that toolkit is called "Seven Dragons". It's an old Taoist exorcism technique. This may sound too woo-woo for some, but I don't care how woo-woo something sounds, if it gets results.

There are only 2 people in my town who know the technique. People living where there are a lot of Chinese immigres from Hong Kong and Taiwan (Bay Area, LA, NYC) should have no trouble finding a practitioner. There used to be a teacher from Taiwan offering a course in this at UCLA. One of my local practitioners was her student, and he taught the other guy, who was his apprentice. I've heard Texas of all places has some good Taiwanese Chinese medicine practitioners.
https://acuproacademy.com/ghost-points-acupuncture/

Interesting.

I would like to try this. I will see if the school in my area has anyone who is expert in it.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
https://acuproacademy.com/ghost-points-acupuncture/

Interesting.

I would like to try this. I will see if the school in my area has anyone who is expert in it.
You can Google around, using the key words "Ghost point acupuncture" and "Seven Dragons acupuncture". A few people who got their credentials at the PRC-based "Traditional Chinese Medicine" (TCM) schools have gone on to take special courses in the Taoist stuff elsewhere, for their Continuing Education requirements, or whatever. It's pretty cool stuff. It can be full of surprises, sometimes.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:38 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
I see. I'm sorry you've been through all of that trauma. Have you tried Somatic Experiencing? Some therapists prefer it to EMDR.
Thanks! I’ve heard of Somatic Experiencing and it is offered in my city. I’ll look it and Accupunture. Funny, I was in a yoga class today and the women next to me said she got good results with scar tissue from accupunture.
I’m really hoping to do MDMA assisted psychotherapy as that has been proven to be a cure for a high percentage of people who have been lucky enough to do it.

Old 01-25-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Thanks! I’ve heard of Somatic Experiencing and it is offered in my city. I’ll look it and Accupunture. Funny, I was in a yoga class today and the women next to me said she got good results with scar tissue from accupunture.
I’m really hoping to do MDMA assisted psychotherapy as that has been proven to be a cure for a high percentage of people who have been lucky enough to do it.
Your situation is complex. If you find an acupuncturist who's experienced with Ghost Point acupuncture and the 7 Dragons treatment, be sure to let him or her know, that you have multiple traumas, lifelong traumas, some of which you've been treated for. See what kind of a treatment program they recommend, acupuncture-wise.

Offhand, I'd tend to want to avoid drug-assisted treatments, but because your situation is compounded by so many traumas, I'm not knowledgeable enough to offer an informed opinion. But if you feel that the acupuncture and Somatic Experiencing have helped you at all, please let us know afterwards. Yours is a challenging case, to say the least. I wish you success and relief!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology