Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 08:55 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times

Advertisements

I have never understand these kind of people. They are the kind who would get a refill on their drink just because it's free. If they were eating out, they would order what they think is the most value for their money, rather that what they feel like eating. They would take the more valuable of any two items if given the choice, rather than their preferred item if it didn't have the higher market value. They would stuff themselves at a food buffet. They would stand in line for an hour at a store or fast food restaurant that was giving away a free but inexpensive item.

Some of them are so annoying I hate to even be around them if I think they are going to behave that way.

Does anyone have any insight into this particular kind of madness? What causes these people to be this way? Did they have some kind of bad childhood experience? Why do they still behave this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 09:33 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,683,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I have never understand these kind of people. They are the kind who would get a refill on their drink just because it's free. If they were eating out, they would order what they think is the most value for their money, rather that what they feel like eating. They would take the more valuable of any two items if given the choice, rather than their preferred item if it didn't have the higher market value. They would stuff themselves at a food buffet. They would stand in line for an hour at a store or fast food restaurant that was giving away a free but inexpensive item.

Some of them are so annoying I hate to even be around them if I think they are going to behave that way.

Does anyone have any insight into this particular kind of madness? What causes these people to be this way? Did they have some kind of bad childhood experience? Why do they still behave this way?
I think I tend to be a bit of both.

There is a sense that one is getting their money's worth and "free" stuff can be kind of a trick because it may just end up being clutter most of the time.

Once in awhile, free stuff might be good for toys for nephews/nieces/grandchildren to play with and who cares if it breaks.

Or, if someone you are just maybe friendly acquainted with only (or tight) needs something and you happen to have a freebie of that small thing and you don't care about it, but yet the gesture is nice to a good friend or so-so friend. i.e. bottle openers come in handy if there isn't one available at a party or such; key chains can be useful to put keys on rather than buying one

Everyone is different. If a family grew up dirt poor, maybe they are more likely to want anything free they can accumulate because they may no longer be in that state nor want to return to that state- so this is how they react.

Others might not be good with perceiving differences between what is quality for them and what might reap less quality of reward for them in the long run. Free and saving money can be good, but so can purchasing quality stuff. It depends on the person's financial situation, but also their preferences of what they like and like to do too. It also depends on balance- maybe a little bit of free stuff here, and a little bit of quality stuff there, and that balance is different for everyone.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:04 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
It's really none of our business what others choose and why.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:15 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
A form of greed.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:34 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:

I do that. I like absolutely any food that's on a menu. I have this friend who taught me the chicken sandwich for $8.95 down menu with a choice of fries or a salad will be delicious, and will make you as happy as a $40 steak filet. And she's right, too. At the end of the evening you've had the same fun experience at the table as the others, and you've spent 1/4 of the money and everyone is just as full.

I really don't know why that bothers you - I tip way more than most at the table, so it's my choice.

I don't believe it's "madness".

Old 10-04-2018, 10:43 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
who doesnt want free things?

poor person gets free refills... rich person gets free money with tax shelter...

waitresses want free money in form of tips because they dont make the employers pay them like everyone else

Old 10-04-2018, 11:02 PM

268 posts, read 282,700 times
Quote:
They would stand in line for an hour at a store or fast food restaurant that was giving away a free but inexpensive item.
This one I've thought about. People go crazy over deals that are free but most of the time the regular price for the item is low.

An example of this is when Baskin Robbins has their $1.50 scoop. I saw one lady say she will never get Baskin Robbins again because they no longer offer it in her area.

My thing is, the ice cream isnt that much of a difference any other time. I believe a scoop is $3 dollars. Yes thats a slight price jump, especially if youre trying to treat a family to Ice Cream....but if youre only treating occasionally, it should be looked at as a treat. If you don't want to pay the prices, then yes don't shop there.

Maybe some people want to wait in long lines for the experience, something to do, or maybe they really can't afford the item at regular price. I have just never seen the appeal in rushing somewhere or waiting in long lines for something free if the original price isn't that high.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:06 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
i dont know $1.50 to $3 is double the price... doesnt matter if it is a small amount to you, it is no different than $150,000 to $300,000

Old 10-04-2018, 11:20 PM

268 posts, read 282,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
i dont know $1.50 to $3 is double the price... doesnt matter if it is a small amount to you, it is no different than $150,000 to $300,000
Yea it is if you are treating a family of 4 or more. But if you can't afford to treat your family out to ice cream at regular price and are depending on the sale, then you might want to consider buying a tub of ice cream from the store and you can have as many scoops as you want at the price you want to pay.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:37 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

It's really none of our business what others choose and why.
This is the Psychology forum. Psychology is the study of human behavior.

The OP is wondering what psychological aspects make a person seek free items more than others, and, for example, stand in line for a very long time just to get a free but inexpensive item. Human behaviors have psychological aspects behind them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology