Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 04:17 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I am just filled with constant angst about my future. My mom changed careers late in life, but she was incredibly smart. I'm not knocking myself, but it is what it is. I feel I am mediocre in many ways. I don't want to make a million bucks, I just want to not lie awake at night worrying. I also have some social anxiety which certainly does not help.
How about you change to a government job of any type and that why when you retire you would have a pension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 05:08 PM

723 posts, read 570,381 times
Here is a list of AARP "Back-to-Work 50+" locations:

https://www.aarp.org/aarp-foundation...locations.html

Old 12-23-2018, 07:50 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
How about you change to a government job of any type and that why when you retire you would have a pension.

That's where I would go if I was in my 50s with a newly minted accounting degree. You will never get hired by any national or regional accounting firm as you don't have enough time to get up to speed and start bringing clients to the firm before you reach retirement age. But the feds don't care about that and I hear they are short on accountants.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:52 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,323,042 times
Don't reinvent but improve and expand who you are now.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:50 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
That's where I would go if I was in my 50s with a newly minted accounting degree. You will never get hired by any national or regional accounting firm as you don't have enough time to get up to speed and start bringing clients to the firm before you reach retirement age. But the feds don't care about that and I hear they are short on accountants.
^^^^^^^^^^^

I have to agree with this. I do work for the government, but locally. The pay is not nearly what the Feds pay, but the pension and benefits are excellent. The pay is much less than private sector, but I did find the hiring process to be less discriminatory towards older workers.

I applied with the Feds for years and never got an interview. That was prior to my degree, though. I should try again...umm...after the shutdown is over.

Old 12-25-2018, 04:29 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^

I have to agree with this. I do work for the government, but locally. The pay is not nearly what the Feds pay, but the pension and benefits are excellent. The pay is much less than private sector, but I did find the hiring process to be less discriminatory towards older workers.

I applied with the Feds for years and never got an interview. That was prior to my degree, though. I should try again...umm...after the shutdown is over.
Yeah, but then you would have to deal with Congressional fund source and financial tracking procedures. There's a reason agencies tend to run through their fiscal/budget staff fairly quickly.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:20 AM

1,058 posts, read 675,615 times
[quote]This is controversial for sure, but if you find you are really poor, you can actually be in a decent position to just get your basic need met, at least. In our system, the people at the bottom get decent benefits. The people at the top can afford to get what they want, and the people in the middle pay for everything.[quote]

Yep.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:43 AM

I disagree that government will take care of "basic needs". Out of curiosity, I looked at housing vouchers and governement housing. The website stated 5 - 7 year wait list. The other nearby county stated waitlist closed, but there were no other details.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:11 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Is it possible? I have a degree, but it is not a functional one. I am not super-smart - not smart enough to go back to school for anything extremely lucrative, but I need to make more money or I am not going to make it. My background is in bookkeeping, but again, I am not good enough at math to become an accountant. I thought of maybe an OT assistant, but not sure anyone would hire a COTA in their 50's (CNA's don't make enough). I am at a crossroads, depressed and scared. I think if I were in my 30's I might feel more hopeful, but can one start over at 50?
you are only as good as you believe you are....

it's all about how you relate to the world around yourself.....

they say, if you believe your going to get cancer, you just may get it.....

I believe it's true.....

there isn't anything you can't do, if you put your mind to it.....

I watched a movie once, where a kid wanted a dog, and the grandfather said, if you want that dog bad enough, you have to meet God half way. I believe there is no truer statement.

I am a woman, and at one time was a single mother. I needed to make more money, so I applied with Construction companies, b/c I had no schooling and knew that was were the money was.

And yes, I made lots of money, but the work was only seasonal, so, I was back doing waitress work during the winter months. (and and as a side note) whenever news reporters say, more people are working, take note to what time of year it is)

So, I took some college courses in computers....I wanted a full time, year round job that gave you benefits...and that's how I got my start....I'm due to retire in pretty good shape financially, oh yeah, it could be better, but I'm proud of where I ended up...and my accomplishments. Could I have gone farther, yes, I could have....there isn't anything I couldn't do...and not b/c I was a minority...but because, I believed I could.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:16 PM

Cremebrulee, I guess that is a huge part of the problem. I don't think I can do it. When I think of new careers that I could train for that have decent pay (by decent, I mean 40K), I feel like I am not smart enough or not good enough. I have social anxiety, on top of that, so I get very discouraged.

For some reason, it is not so bad around kids and the elderly, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology