Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 12:03 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,915,364 times

Advertisements

It started last year with the scandals of Harvey Weinstein. That opened a flood of other allegations. They were all pretty scandalous and I think it was a good thing that they were causing other victims to have the bravery to take a similar stand.

On the other hand, now we have Morgan Freeman who apparently did nothing other than make stupid and offensive jokes, and it was usually in the company of other people. I've always liked Morgan Freeman and I still admire his work, but even I would be offended by someone who did those things. I believe that his intentions were more honorable than they appear, but there are MUCH better ways to make people feel comfortable than to be rude and disgusting.

Now it's Roseanne and her cancelled TV show. Personally, I think she is playing the entire thing like a master manipulator. In my opinion, she wanted to get out of the show now that it has produced a final season which honored its earlier seasons, allowing the show to end on a positive note. And she has an expert understanding of human nature, taking advantage of the times.

Which comes to my question. Do you think that young people are starting to abuse this new power they have discovered? People seem to be able to execute "justice" at the drop of a hat. But you know what they say about power corrupting.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 12:17 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,079,760 times
IMO, No, I don't think they're abusing their power. They are COMING INTO THEIR POWER and that's a totally different thing.

Every generation has that apex, just like every generation does and will have its decline.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:33 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,926,387 times
It never occurred to me that she did this on purpose. I guess it's possible. I'm in classical music and have a lot of Jewish friends, all ultra liberal and brilliant, so when Roseanne and Giuliani (Italian, but everyone from NYC is honorarily Jewish) turned out to have perspectives different than mine, it was surprising. I expected them, her in particular, to be liberal. I was misinformed.

As bad as what she said was, the upside long term, I think, is that it brings the issue of racism to the forefront of everyone's minds.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:41 PM

102,302 posts, read 108,429,936 times
I don't know what this has to do with young people. Most of H.W.'s victims are a generation or two, even, older. This "power" is not a generational thing. It's about society finally evolving to where women's safety and norms of professional demeanor are evolving in a healthy direction, if a bit belatedly.

Could you explain, OP, why you see this as a Millennial-related matter? I've never heard that interpretation, before.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:02 PM

6,322 posts, read 4,232,904 times
Not seeing this as a millennial issue either.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:08 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,090,214 times
OP, dunno.

They said Freeman used to lift up dresses and ask about panties. That is kinda going too far.

We have evolved into a hyper PC country. Goes along with the dems perfection sickness. Dems always looking to make things perfect by taxes or taking away freedom.

Here is Clint Eastwood's take on it...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...w-actor-917137

Old 05-30-2018, 01:46 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,075,260 times
Who are the young people in this scenario?

Old 05-30-2018, 02:10 PM

102,302 posts, read 108,429,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
OP, dunno.

They said Freeman used to lift up dresses and ask about panties. That is kinda going too far.

We have evolved into a hyper PC country. Goes along with the dems perfection sickness. Dems always looking to make things perfect by taxes or taking away freedom.

Here is Clint Eastwood's take on it...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...w-actor-917137
What does partisan politics have to do with this? Nothing, that I can see.

And are you saying that taking steps to ensure that workers and aspiring actors don't get assaulted on the job or in the process of applying for a job is "PC"? How is that "PC"? How could that possibly be a bad thing?

As to making lewd comments, the absence of that used to be the mark of civilized society. Are we dialing back the level of civilized behavior, now? Coarse and rude is good? If so, why? How is that an advance in the right direction? Are you ok with coarseness, rudeness, and demeaning comments being made at you? Is that what you want for yourself, your family members, and society in general?

Please clarify your position. It's somewhat ambiguous, and vulnerable to misinterpretation, as it stands.

Old 05-30-2018, 02:53 PM

28,711 posts, read 18,909,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It started last year with the scandals of Harvey Weinstein. That opened a flood of other allegations. They were all pretty scandalous and I think it was a good thing that they were causing other victims to have the bravery to take a similar stand.

On the other hand, now we have Morgan Freeman who apparently did nothing other than make stupid and offensive jokes, and it was usually in the company of other people. I've always liked Morgan Freeman and I still admire his work, but even I would be offended by someone who did those things. I believe that his intentions were more honorable than they appear, but there are MUCH better ways to make people feel comfortable than to be rude and disgusting.

Now it's Roseanne and her cancelled TV show. Personally, I think she is playing the entire thing like a master manipulator. In my opinion, she wanted to get out of the show now that it has produced a final season which honored its earlier seasons, allowing the show to end on a positive note. And she has an expert understanding of human nature, taking advantage of the times.

Which comes to my question. Do you think that young people are starting to abuse this new power they have discovered? People seem to be able to execute "justice" at the drop of a hat. But you know what they say about power corrupting.

What do you think?
Are you calling this a millennial phenomenon because it's within social media that the mass outrage that creates change is expressed?

Old 05-30-2018, 03:03 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,145,996 times
Millennials didn’t create this culture we live in; the Boomers did.

Millenials, along with the Gen-Xers; have just had to live with the fallout from it & the de-evolution of society that followed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology