Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2019, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 201 times

Advertisements

Ive got this weird way of remembering everything when it comes to anyone I have any kind of attachment to. I never knew but many people have commented on it and so I am now second guessing what is normal for memory and what isn't.
When it comes to my memory. I, in no way have a photographic one. In fact I never thought it was any good.
I'm so bad at remembering people I have only met once or twice that I end up being treated familiarly by people I honestly don't know, on a daily basis. (It can be just as scary as it sounds at times.)

But if there is anyone in my life that actually made an impression on me, I end up remembering EVERYTHING. Like photographically. Though I can't pull up this memory on command. It all just comes back to me eventually.

This causes me to answer questions asked months or even years ago that I didn't have an answer to at the time out of the blue. Or even remember the tiniest details of moments shared with that person, including what they say (edit:Verbatim). But WAYYY after the fact.
It catches allot of people off guard and several have told me so.

Is this normal? How do the rest of your guys/gals memories work? Am I crazy? Is there a problem?

I have allot of questions about this and want to hear ideas from other people. So please, by all means, lay em on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 06:52 PM

109 posts, read 61,956 times
I am like that as well and I don't think that's very rare. I never remember a face of a person I met briefly, sometimes even after several days of meeting this person daily, but I do remember many details of what someone I care about said. In fact I usually remember that better than another person.

Are you socially anxious or not feel comfortable around new people? I'm pretty sure it could be the reason if you are. Memory doesn't work properly if your mind is busy with coping with an uncomfortable situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology