Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 06:03 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,605,462 times

Advertisements

As a "release valve," it's better than punching someone in the face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 07:24 PM

6,175 posts, read 4,558,515 times
My mother swore like a sailor and when confronted with it, she would say her father was in the army and swore all the time. So we both grew up with it and it was a hard habit to break. I did eventually, but last time I saw her, she was still at it.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:01 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,527,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
We all know how trigger happy some people can get when you cuss

So that is why I would like to ask, does cussing show a lack of self-control? Does cussing even just once means the person lacks self control and willpower? Is cussing in your opinion an appropriate way of expressing feelings?

And how will this change over time?

Not saying cussing should be romanctized or glorified either, but shouldn't we be able to cut some slack too, don't you think? Remember the principle of suppressing, the stronger you surpress something the more violent or strong it is to comeback.
The first issue that comes to my mind when someone near me curses is ...........their lack of class. I move away from that person, as far as I can get.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:09 PM

25,456 posts, read 9,849,873 times
Quote:
We all know how trigger happy some people can get when you cuss

So that is why I would like to ask, does cussing show a lack of self-control? Does cussing even just once means the person lacks self control and willpower? Is cussing in your opinion an appropriate way of expressing feelings?

Not saying cussing should be romanctized or glorified either, but shouldn't we be able to cut some slack too, don't you think? Remember the principle of suppressing, the stronger you surpress something the more violent or strong it is to comeback.
I've read cussing is a sign of intelligence. I find it pretty damn healthy myself.
https://www.sciencealert.com/swearin...say-scientists
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/healt...b0106b7f65b3a6
https://braincharm.com/2018/03/09/cu...e-study-shows/

Old 02-18-2019, 01:30 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,727,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Hm. I think it depends on the setting and the swear words. My culture at work is to use the F word for emphasis, even my VP and CEO. We are pretty down to earth and our culture is media/political (that is how people in govt and media speak at work too).

I cuss in front of my family and most of my friends. I don't really spew it, but it comes out on occasion.

OP, are you speaking of your parents and your teachers when you say people are "trigger happy"? If so I can understand. Manners are important in front of your elders and others in a position of authority. Also, a 17-year old swearing makes you look like an immature idiot trying to shock.

Save it for when you have earned some gravitas.
Ah, I was referring to people in general

Old 02-18-2019, 03:24 AM

722 posts, read 431,826 times
It depends where and when you do it.

if you are having a fight with someone and cuss, it is clearly a sign that you don't have selfcontrol.
When you are trying to talk things out with someone, you have to try and be objective. if you just let your emotions guide your words, it may end up pretty badly.
I know some think that this is very impersonal, but if you can't find the patience to say what hurt you or what made you angry at someone in a nice way, it means you don't respect them as a person. If you don't respect them as a person, there's no point in talking things out.

Of course cussing just for fun in conversations is fine. I just find it bad when it is targeted towards other people.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:25 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,426,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
It depends where and when you do it.

if you are having a fight with someone and cuss, it is clearly a sign that you don't have selfcontrol.
When you are trying to talk things out with someone, you have to try and be objective. if you just let your emotions guide your words, it may end up pretty badly.
I know some think that this is very impersonal, but if you can't find the patience to say what hurt you or what made you angry at someone in a nice way, it means you don't respect them as a person. If you don't respect them as a person, there's no point in talking things out.

Of course cussing just for fun in conversations is fine. I just find it bad when it is targeted towards other people.
I have no problem with people being emotional during an argument/ I mean, is it about determining whether a certain fact is correct? No, most times it's about something subjective and relationship-oriented and is based on emotion. Therefore it is appropriate to show emotion as long as you're not throwing things and being emotional/physically abusive. Cursing can be a way of expressing yourself so it is just as much a part of that as crying, etc.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:42 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,658,781 times
If you call it "cussing", as opposed to "using profanity", "swearing", "cursing", "using four letter words", or "bad words", your relationship with "bad words" and those who use them frequently, is likely different from those of most people.

Occasional profanity is a part of 20th C life. It's not a sign of a limited vocabulary, or low moral standards. It means that the speaker is angry, or trying to make a point.

That's all.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:07 AM

9,401 posts, read 14,350,227 times
Lots of good replies here so far.

Quote:
Does cussing even just once means the person lacks self control and willpower?
Not necessarily. Some children are brought up by people who cuss regularly as part of their everyday speech, a social environment and circumstance that a child cannot control and exercise willpower over.

Quote:
Through life experiences and education, one learns what is appropriate and what is not according to social environment and circumstances. That's when self-control and willpower come into play.

Quote:
Is cussing in your opinion an appropriate way of expressing feelings?
It depends on the social environment and circumstances.

Cussing sometimes can be humorous and sometimes emphatic meant to shock and insult on purpose and for good instructive purpose, and so sometimes code, even poetic, for subtle deep expression and meaning.

In other words, it can be an art form.

Words are also syllables - formed by pronunciation, intonation, aspiration, facial expressions, even spitting and the smell of one's breath, so basically all the senses taken altogether - and cuss words too are formed by syllables like all other words.

Having said that, more often than not, cussing is not appropriate and one should try to exercise self-control and willpower.

Last edited by bale002; 02-18-2019 at 06:22 AM..

Old 02-18-2019, 07:25 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,853,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
People swear all the time in public, various words have become part of the standard lexicon. It's everywhere. Whether you're indifferent or triggered by it is one thing, but I wouldn't draw broad sweeping conclusions from a few examples. Especially since "loss of control" implies an emotional outburst of some kind. Frankly that has more meaning than the actual words.
I agree. It is everywhere now. You hear it in restaurants and even starbucks. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
The first issue that comes to my mind when someone near me curses is ...........their lack of class. I move away from that person, as far as I can get.
That is your perception. However, I am around people that are very wealthy, make a lot of money, own very nice large homes and have and do everything that yourself and others consider to be classy.........an they cuss like sailors, myself included. It is very common in business for people to cuss. I hear the F word and use it regularly along with all the others. If I haven't heard it multiple times by 9:00AM, it is a slow day at work and there isn't much going on.

I am not saying I do it all the time. There are times and places where it is not appropriate and I can turn it on and off. It is like other things in life. Some of the people on here complaining about people cussing and saying they avoid them, are probably the same people that show up for everything half drunk and people avoid them because of that. There are also those that you can't be around for more than two minutes and they start in talking about their religion with jesus this and jesus that and trying to get you to come to their church. That is the most irritating thing I can think of that people do. There is a time and place for everything and almost everyone has something they do that irritates other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
This seems to be completely true. When I was in engineering school and still today around other very intelligent people, there is a ton of cussing. It is just part of the vocabulary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology