Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 09:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

I rarely forgive crappy treatment, and I definitely don't forget it. Essentially, screw me (or my loved ones) over, and you're dead to me. If i came across you thirsty in the street and you, in the past, hurt me or my loved ones, I would walk by you and not give you a drink. I probably wouldn't even acknowledge you or glance your way. Dead to me.

That's definitely grudgeholding, but it's also not seething, all-consuming, eat at your soul, ever present rage at those who wronged you, either. It's writing people off and moving on, which can actually be very healthy.

I have yet to regret writing somebody who has dicked me over off, gotta tell ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 06:47 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
I was in the office of a paper mill manager. On the back side of his door there was a sign:

Ignore some.

Forgive some.

Forget nothing.

Wise words. Some people hold grudges for years because they enjoy it. Some people drop their discontent when they walk out the door. However, if somebody lies to you, they have self identified as a liar and tat is useful information. You don't need to dwell on it, but forever more you know that person is a liar and you should bear that in mind every time the liar opens his mouth. Sometimes they actually tell the truth, but you can't be sure.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:30 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Not allowing someone to hurt you again is quite different than ‘holding a grudge’.
Again, I agree.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:43 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Inability to resolve the situation, keeps it roiling around in the subconscious. I hate that.

Sometimes it's beyond your control.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:02 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Inability to resolve the situation, keeps it roiling around in the subconscious. I hate that.

Sometimes it's beyond your control.
It’s never beyond our control to resolve it for ourselves (in terms of how we react or what we do).

Old 03-16-2019, 05:01 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
It’s never beyond our control to resolve it for ourselves (in terms of how we react or what we do).
You are correct, again..it is never beyond our control.

"Thought Control"...it can reprogram our subconscious mind, even.

Tape: You are so worthless, I wish you were never born, you're just like your stupid father.
To:
I am so loved by my Heavenly Father and He wants to give me everything I want...as the loving Father He is. This whole world was made for me. Ah, the Freedom!!!!

Just an example off the top.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
It's really kind of semantics, though.

For some, the resolution IS cutting the other person off (to give one example). To others, cutting someone you feel has wringed you off is holding a grudge.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's really kind of semantics, though.

For some, the resolution IS cutting the other person off (to give one example). To others, cutting someone you feel has wringed you off is holding a grudge.
I don’t think ‘cutting a person off’ is necessarily holding a grudge (though I see your point); in many cases, it’s the rational thing to do. However, if one’s decision to ‘cut someone off’ is based in anger (and reacting) out of a state of pain, that’s a ‘grudge’ (and indicates the person hasn’t resolved their own feelings).

Old 03-16-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You are correct, again..it is never beyond our control.

"Thought Control"...it can reprogram our subconscious mind, even.

Tape: You are so worthless, I wish you were never born, you're just like your stupid father.
To:
I am so loved by my Heavenly Father and He wants to give me everything I want...as the loving Father He is. This whole world was made for me. Ah, the Freedom!!!!

Just an example off the top.
Yes, our control - we make a conscious choice of how we react or respond to any situation (and we restore balance). Psychology teaches us many things, Miss Hepburn!

Old 03-17-2019, 04:14 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,985 times
I also remember everything really bad done to me. For 40+ years I carry this baggage. I cut people off or keep very formal relationships with them, if I can't avoid communications. No, I don't forgive and I don't forget. Most people I despise are living lives with such problems that I feel vindicated without acting on my desire of revenge. Some are dead. To those who are alive, I wish they suffer from hardships similar to what they made me suffer thru.

I, however, have way more good memories than bad ones. Maybe I just have too much room in my almost 24" box, so I store everything.

Live long enough, and you won't have any enemies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology