Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2019, 04:27 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times

Advertisements

Seriously?

Married people tend to hang out with other married people because its safer for the marriage than hanging out with single people.

People with kids tend to hang out with people with kids because other people with kids are empathetic, can offer advice if needed and the kids have other kids to play with while the adults hang out.

Single people tend to be looking for other single people so that they will no longer be alone.

It's hardly a stigma, and not discrimination. It is the natural ebb and flow of growing up and life. Everything is constantly changing, even if you don't particularly care to. Everyone is constantly adjusting, including you.

People grow up - and apart. You wanna hang out with couples with kids? Get married and start making babies!

Old 03-17-2019, 04:42 AM

854 posts, read 520,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Seriously?

Married people tend to hang out with other married people because its safer for the marriage than hanging out with single people.

People with kids tend to hang out with people with kids because other people with kids are empathetic, can offer advice if needed and the kids have other kids to play with while the adults hang out.

Single people tend to be looking for other single people so that they will no longer be alone.

It's hardly a stigma, and not discrimination. It is the natural ebb and flow of growing up and life. Everything is constantly changing, even if you don't particularly care to. Everyone is constantly adjusting, including you.

People grow up - and apart. You wanna hang out with couples with kids? Get married and start making babies!
Then it doesn't look good, as the vast majority of.people where I live are married with kids
And I wish I could start a family, but you need go have a willing partner to do so and that's the problem....

(Besides, apparently I already have a 27 year old daughter anyway meaning.I got pregnant at 5)

Old 03-17-2019, 06:15 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Seriously?

I have never hung out with other married people bc "it's safer." That's ridiculous and also, lots of married people cheat with other married people. That comment is silly on its face.

IF we hang out with other parents, it is bc our kids AND we like the whole family. Same true of our single friends or married with no kids friends.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:14 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Seriously?

It is safer for the marriage to hang out with married people? How? Married people cheat just like single people can sleep with married people. A lot of married people cheat with other married people.

I used to be a teacher and while I am childless, I get along well with kids and like them. I just don’t have any of my own nor do I have any interest in having kids of my own. That doesn’t mean I don’t have any empathy for people who have kids.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:40 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,121,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
No one wants to acknowledge this issue, but the stigma against single, childless people over 30 is real. Past 30, you're meant to have your Mod cut. together and be married with kids. If you're not, people see you as some sort of non adult and you end up losing friends when they get pregnant, as parents tend to only want to be friends with other parents and people change when they have kids. Dating becomes difficult too, because you're left with the people who are also not good enough to be part of society by following the plan. The childfree moment is a joke...these people are honestly just envious of parents like I am, but they won't admit it.
Lies, lies and more lies. I doubt single, professional people are jealous of parents. Why would they, when they can do what they want with no accountability to another person, don't have to deal with the ups and downs of parenthood, can travel on a whim, serve their own needs, wants and desires without compromising to make the other person happy. Possibly having to deal with a cheating spouse, arguments in a relationship. I've been blessed with a good woman who brings out the best in me, but we have an ironclad agreement that if our relationship goes too far south to where it can't be fixed, we go our separate ways. Both of us have dealbreakers for our relationship. Looking at some parents today, some people are just horrible parents who should've never had kids.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:00 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Seriously?

i don't know about married people hanging out with married people

In our group of female friends - several are married and are always out and about with the husbands. They only do things together if it is a family event and attendance as a couple is 'required"

I do think this is odd, but since they have been married for over 50 years, i guess are used to this. To me it is weird that they don't even go out to eat together as a couple.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:30 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
No one wants to acknowledge this issue, but the stigma against single, childless people over 30 is real. Past 30, you're meant to have your Mod cut. together and be married with kids. If you're not, people see you as some sort of non adult and you end up losing friends when they get pregnant, as parents tend to only want to be friends with other parents and people change when they have kids. Dating becomes difficult too, because you're left with the people who are also not good enough to be part of society by following the plan. The childfree moment is a joke...these people are honestly just envious of parents like I am, but they won't admit it.
I’m 57 and childless but can’t honestly say I’ve ever felt stigmatized by it. I didn’t lose any friends when they became pregnant (although their priorities rightly shift to their kids). I think dating is difficult for everyone. People with kids who are dating have the same pool we have, and I think dating with small kids is much harder than dating without kids.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:11 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
i don't know about married people hanging out with married people

In our group of female friends - several are married and are always out and about WITHOUT the husbands. They only do things together if it is a family event and attendance as a couple is 'required"

I do think this is odd, but since they have been married for over 50 years, i guess are used to this. To me it is weird that they don't even go out to eat together as a couple.
I should have said without

Old 03-17-2019, 11:32 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
I'm 48 and I don't think I've ever felt this stigma. Maybe it's because I live in a liberal area. Or maybe it's just because I don't care what other people think.

I do think it's harder to meet people as you get older. You get set in your ways, and the people who are available often have a lot of personal problems / baggage from past relationships that I don't want to deal with, so that's hard.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:03 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I am grateful that my parents raised me to be independent and never once asked when I was getting married, and then when I did get married, never asked when i was "going to give them grandbabies".
Me, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology