Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 09:58 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I hear sayings all the time along the lines of “money doesn’t buy happiness” and “more money more problems”, but most problems I can figure the rich would have stem more from having too much fame or having too much debt and needing a stressful job to sustain both a rich lifestyle and debt payment. For the life of me, I can’t think of a situation where too much money was in and of itself an issue. Psychology today says to an extent, money makes people happier. In my mind, a rich, retired person without face recognition could have a great life since they could do as they pleased and come and go anywhere as they pleased. Is there any issue money itself brings that does relate to being famous or being in a stressful job? They are ways to become rich without fame and stressful work is just temporary till you can retire, after all.
99% of the problems in my life would disappear if I had more money. But I have a very happy life. I've already reached the threshold where I can comfortably see to my basic needs.

I don't really believe more money=more problems, but it can set you up as a target. So live a low-key life, maintain a decent life/work balance and don't be a dick and anyone plagued by "too much" money should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 11:37 AM

6,148 posts, read 4,514,052 times
I think the last study, before the poor little rich people one, said that once you hit a certain amount of money, i.e., enough to live indoors, eat decently, and go to the doctor/dentist, any more money became window dressing.

I know many people, like my father, who had "enough" money but pretended poverty. His money was hard earned from working a job and holding onto what he could.

I know many people who run through money like water, like my in-laws and spouse: give them $10 and it disappears in an instant, give them $10,000 and it likewise disappears. My sisters-in-law have easily run through 10x what I've ever seen in life and I have to say they're not very happy.

People who don't understand money don't know how to use it to better their lives.

Myself, I live just along the poverty line right now and am willing to fall either side: on the lower side, I get some govt help with medical and on the higher side I just barely don't need help. I fear that strip in the middle where you make "too much" for help and too little to get by. OTOH, I had a crap childhood and have had a lot of medical problems and only after therapy, group therapy, anger management, stress management, medication, and I forget what all else, can I say that I have a better outlook on life and feel in a good place. If I had more money, I'd be relieved of the stress attached to a home repair or sick pet, but otherwise I'd just have more stuff.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:06 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
Quote:
I hear sayings all the time along the lines of “money doesn’t buy happiness” and “more money more problems”, but most problems I can figure the rich would have stem more from having too much fame or having too much debt and needing a stressful job to sustain both a rich lifestyle and debt payment. For the life of me, I can’t think of a situation where too much money was in and of itself an issue. Psychology today says to an extent, money makes people happier. In my mind, a rich, retired person without face recognition could have a great life since they could do as they pleased and come and go anywhere as they pleased. Is there any issue money itself brings that does relate to being famous or being in a stressful job? They are ways to become rich without fame and stressful work is just temporary till you can retire, after all.

I used to think like you do. The more I made, the happier and better my life seemed to get. Didn't have much stress, had plenty of disposable income, etc.

But then my mother and aunt died together very unexpectedly, right before the holidays in 2017.

Suddenly, the amount of money I had, or will ever have, meant nothing if I couldn't bring her back or fix that tragedy. There's a limit to what money can do, and how much. I make really good money that most people would be thrilled to make... but it doesn't make me happy. The amount of stuff you can buy may make you happy for awhile, but it never lasts.

There's plenty of people who won the lottery and became rich suddenly and ended up completely miserable for a litany of reasons.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:19 PM

8,664 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I used to think like you do. The more I made, the happier and better my life seemed to get. Didn't have much stress, had plenty of disposable income, etc.

But then my mother and aunt died together very unexpectedly, right before the holidays in 2017.

Suddenly, the amount of money I had, or will ever have, meant nothing if I couldn't bring her back or fix that tragedy. There's a limit to what money can do, and how much. I make really good money that most people would be thrilled to make... but it doesn't make me happy. The amount of stuff you can buy may make you happy for awhile, but it never lasts.

There's plenty of people who won the lottery and became rich suddenly and ended up completely miserable for a litany of reasons.
I think this falls under the line of ‘money doesn’t buy happiness’ - most would agree. We all experience the death or illness of people we care about, and we all have various problems or stresses in life. I think most people would also agree, however, having enough money to enjoy life does, at least, eliminate financial stress and debt (which can be a significant part of some people’s lives). I also think there is a difference between winning a lottery or those who have earned it (when it comes to how people manage money).

What does bring happiness, in my opinion - challenging work, an active (and open) mind, family/friends, and compassion.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:18 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I think this falls under the line of ‘money doesn’t buy happiness’ - most would agree. We all experience the death or illness of people we care about, and we all have various problems or stresses in life. I think most people would also agree, however, having enough money to enjoy life does, at least, eliminate financial stress and debt (which can be a significant part of some people’s lives). I also think there is a difference between winning a lottery or those who have earned it (when it comes to how people manage money).

What does bring happiness, in my opinion - challenging work, an active (and open) mind, family/friends, and compassion.
I’ll say I can relate in that I lost my family and friends except my mother in a series of tragic accidents and have been going through an unresolved existential crisis the last decade. Besides my mother, money is all I have. Of course, I’d pay all my savings to bring my loved ones back, and I wish I could find peace regarding the “big questions” people have struggled with for thousands of years, but in the meantime, more money means more power to ease my suffering.

Basically my whole adult life, its been less about being happy and more about being less sad and depressed. Money is a distraction from deep problems I don’t believe I can solve.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:01 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Money brings complications and complexity, which are not necessarily problems. It depends on your point of view.

Money can't fix everything but it never claimed it could.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:54 AM

3,152 posts, read 2,732,034 times
I think this guys sums it up quite well....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdfeXqHFmPI

Old 04-15-2019, 05:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
I’ll say I can relate in that I lost my family and friends except my mother in a series of tragic accidents and have been going through an unresolved existential crisis the last decade. Besides my mother, money is all I have. Of course, I’d pay all my savings to bring my loved ones back, and I wish I could find peace regarding the “big questions” people have struggled with for thousands of years, but in the meantime, more money means more power to ease my suffering.

Basically my whole adult life, its been less about being happy and more about being less sad and depressed. Money is a distraction from deep problems I don’t believe I can solve.
Why not use your money to help others? You might feel better, and you would be accomplishing something worthwhile.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:13 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,421,135 times
It's better to have enough money than not enough. There is no one who can make a convincing argument that more money makes you less happy. People would like to believe that.

Money can't buy love? Well it would be hard to find someone to love if you don't have enough money for food and a place to live. And having clothes would help too.

And if you are working 3 full time jobs just to pay your bills, then there isn't any time for love or happiness.

Having enough money means not burning mental calories worrying about money.

Everyone's goal should be, first of all, to figure out how to have enough money.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:58 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Why not use your money to help others? You might feel better, and you would be accomplishing something worthwhile.
I do through teaching and I’ve only just recently managed to climb to the median income for a 23 year old white male with a bachelors degree who lives in America. I’m as middle of the road for that cross-category of person as it gets. Granted, what’s average for a 23 year old white male graduate in America is good compared to a lot of the world, and I donate a little to charities I trust from time to time, but after one charity I used to trust had a major scandal, I’ve trusted charities in general less and would just as soon “adopt” random poor people myself.

I set up some random overpass homeless guy with a bike and a job and a tent once because he smiled when I walked by and I thought “that’s the one”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology