Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 02:15 PM

27 posts, read 23,239 times

Advertisements

For the record, I am 33 and my wife is 44. One thing I really like is that she has some grey in her temples. I get that what is attractive is different, but personally I find her very beautiful and love her personality and everything about her. Though I especially think the grey she has is very attractive, which may seem odd. From a psychological standpoint, why is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 02:21 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
You're generalizing all the other things you like about your wife to other (initially) neutral aspects of her appearance. If she had to get glasses at some point you'd probably grow to like them, and her in them, as well.

I'd be disturbed if you loved your wife so much and then dumped her because of a little gray.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:47 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkinson View Post
For the record, I am 33 and my wife is 44. One thing I really like is that she has some grey in her temples. I get that what is attractive is different, but personally I find her very beautiful and love her personality and everything about her. Though I especially think the grey she has is very attractive, which may seem odd. From a psychological standpoint, why is this?
Grey hair isn't just a physical effect. It symbolizes time, a life lived, experience, wisdom, and something valuable worth keeping. Maybe time invested being with you. When you see it you see the time you've loved as well as the person.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:06 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Who knows? Don't question love too deeply, just immerse yourself in it.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:09 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Grey at the temples draws attention to the eyes. It's also associated with graceful aging and wisdom. I imagine it looks great on her.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:27 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Quote:
At the end of the day, your taste are your tastes. It only becomes a problem when your tastes cause you to cause serious problems for other people, or even more to the point, when you use aesthetics as a basis for human worth.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:42 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,255,476 times
Quote:
She's confident enough within herself to know that some gray hairs don't detract from her outer beauty. A healthy self-esteem is a very attractive trait to many people.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:12 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
It's not odd. Certain patterns of greying are considered attractive. It creates a bit of a dramatic look. Greying that occurs more evenly distributed throughout the hair isn't noteworthy in that way, but a striking pattern can highlight the hair and facial features. This is a known phenomenon.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:10 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Emmylou Harris, 72 years old. 'Nuff said.

https://www.opry.com/artist/emmylou-harris

Old 04-21-2019, 12:26 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Only thing I found odd was you asking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology