Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 10:29 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,417,346 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever been in therapy only to eventually realize their therapist had more issues than they do. This has been the case with my last two therapists. I left the last one 10 years ago and have been doing just dandy on my own since. I realized this one had problems when it became clear she actually had a pretty specific image in her mind about what I should be doing with my life (getting an adjunct position at X university; consciously trying to get more friends in specific ways, etc.) When I said I wasn’t interested in her plan (when it was revealed after 2 months of therapy), she suddenly didn’t have room on her schedule for me anymore. Oh well, no great loss.

The therapist before that was really empathetic, but he told me one day about his belief in angels and other such things, and I felt like I had had enough at that point.

Anyone else have an interesting story along these lines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 11:01 AM

724 posts, read 433,814 times
Dunno, I once tried going to a therapist, told him about the rough patch I was going through, at which point he asked me what my problem was and I said: "actually I don't think I have an actual problem. It was just hard". He told me I was right and that people who go to him have other problems. Didn't go again.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:56 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,622,690 times
Why do you think they have a higher suicide rate than the general population? Get a dog. The therapy is much less expensive and they give you unconditional love.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:18 PM

10,219 posts, read 17,942,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Has anyone here ever been in therapy only to eventually realize their therapist had more issues than they do. This has been the case with my last two therapists. I left the last one 10 years ago and have been doing just dandy on my own since. I realized this one had problems when it became clear she actually had a pretty specific image in her mind about what I should be doing with my life (getting an adjunct position at X university; consciously trying to get more friends in specific ways, etc.) When I said I wasn’t interested in her plan (when it was revealed after 2 months of therapy), she suddenly didn’t have room on her schedule for me anymore. Oh well, no great loss.

The therapist before that was really empathetic, but he told me one day about his belief in angels and other such things, and I felt like I had had enough at that point.

Anyone else have an interesting story along these lines?
It doesn't really sound like they have "issues" - particularly the guy who believes in angels, it sounds to me like you just can't handle a therapist who has different opinions and beliefs than you do on certain topics. You're never going to find someone who shares exactly all the same beliefs as you.

The more recent woman sounds like maybe she might have been a little bit controlling, but she probably felt those goals were the best things for your self improvement and for all we know, maybe she's right.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It doesn't really sound like they have "issues" - particularly the guy who believes in angels, it sounds to me like you just can't handle a therapist who has different opinions and beliefs than you do on certain topics. You're never going to find someone who shares exactly all the same beliefs as you.

The more recent woman sounds like maybe she might have been a little bit controlling, but she probably felt those goals were the best things for your self improvement and for all we know, maybe she's right.
She wasn’t right, as it turns out. Also, angels don’t exist. Not a matter of opinion.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:39 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,084,404 times
Even a good coach isn't always able to play the game.

Meaning that with all of the formal education to become a therapist, it doesn't guarantee that they won't have issues in their own lives.

When emotions are involved, logic flies out the window.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:20 PM

10 posts, read 7,109 times
I sought therapy once. I was 40 and they said they would set me up with someone that fit me. I get to the appointment and it's a 25-year-old. She could've passed for one of my 16 year old daughter's GFs. I'm like she's going to tell me how to cope with my issues? She hasn't even lived yet! She has no idea about adult issues, yet!

Old 08-12-2019, 01:23 PM

10 posts, read 7,109 times
We must have the same brother.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:24 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,982,713 times
I was depressed my first time at college and went to a psychologist at the campus health center for about 6 weeks. Finally concluded the psychologist was crazier than I was. That was the most useful insight I got out of the sessions. Never been to one since. I think for me the key to dealing with any chronic mental or physical isses is acceptance. Stop fighting it and accept it. In time it will get better or you will get used to living with it. The less you feed it with fear and anxiety and attention, the sooner you can get back to normal.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I was depressed my first time at college and went to a psychologist at the campus health center for about 6 weeks. Finally concluded the psychologist was crazier than I was. That was the most useful insight I got out of the sessions. Never been to one since. I think for me the key to dealing with any chronic mental or physical isses is acceptance. Stop fighting it and accept it. In time it will get better or you will get used to living with it. The less you feed it with fear and anxiety and attention, the sooner you can get back to normal.
I like this. So true. Sometimes, there is great wisdom in simply embracing reality for what it is and letting go of our need to make it different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology