Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 12:29 PM

115 posts, read 61,676 times

Advertisements

Is it a disease? I find myself on the opposite end of conventional thinking on almost everything - from religion to relationships to social norms.

Its such an isolating feeling and I wish I could be among those whose perspective is widely accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 12:40 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Look up Counterphobic Six on the Enneagram, if the spirit moves you.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:59 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnuluck View Post
Is it a disease? I find myself on the opposite end of conventional thinking on almost everything - from religion to relationships to social norms.

Its such an isolating feeling and I wish I could be among those whose perspective is widely accepted.
I know exactly what you mean. But you are unique, not a "follower"! isn't that to be celebrated?

Who wants to be ordinary and "just like everyone else"?

I call it being open-minded. You just have to keep it to yourself most of the time, LOL. It can get lonely.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:08 PM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnuluck View Post

Being isolated is the result of being a contrarian on relationships. Isn't that the point?

Old 10-08-2019, 06:48 PM

1,045 posts, read 759,658 times
I have never been one to believe in something just because 'everyone else' does. I don't follow fashion, I'm not religious, I'm not into popular reality TV shows, I don't worship celebrities, and I'm not a dog person though I live with my fiance who is all that and then some (he's also very conservative but I won't get into that here). I'm happy to be my own person and not one of the sheeple!

Old 10-08-2019, 10:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I like to think that I make up my own mind about many things. But I really take issue with calling others "sheeple." It is insulting. It is as if you are putting yourself up as specially insightful and smart.

I know very few extremely special people. Most everyone I know, including me, is pretty ordinary in most ways. And many people hold conventional views about some things, and unconventional views about other, surprising, things.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:17 PM

1,456 posts, read 515,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I like to think that I make up my own mind about many things. But I really take issue with calling others "sheeple." It is insulting.
It may not be a nice word but it does identify a fairly common trait - people are easily led. I guess it's never been a secret, which is why references to people as 'sheep' and 'flock' are abound.

In 1967, there was an interesting social experiment conducted at a California high school by a history teacher. In an effort to illustrate how easily people could fall into a social movement like Nazism, he started a version of that movement as part of his classroom exercises. It got so popular so quickly that he had to shut it down. So, yeah, whilst we do pride ourselves on being independent, it doesn't take much for us to join the flock, which is why it pays to recognise that trait, for although harmless at most times it can lead in all sorts of unsavory directions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Th...ve_(experiment)

Old 10-09-2019, 05:11 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I like to think that I make up my own mind about many things. But I really take issue with calling others "sheeple." It is insulting. It is as if you are putting yourself up as specially insightful and smart.

I know very few extremely special people. Most everyone I know, including me, is pretty ordinary in most ways. And many people hold conventional views about some things, and unconventional views about other, surprising, things.
I agree. Sheeple is derogatory. I don't use it. Does that make me a contrarian to those who use the word sheeple?

Old 10-09-2019, 06:59 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
There is a saying that comes to mind: "He who goes against the fashion is himself its slave." You're just reacting in a opposite way solely to BE opposite.

If you are being contrarian just to be contrarian, it seems that there is no more thought behind one's outlook beyond, "Look at me. I'm special, I'm DIFFERENT".

Well...no, you're not. If the mindset is to fancy oneself as different from everybody else, you're pretty much the same.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:22 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
There is such a thing as Oppositional Defiance Disorder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology