Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 06:20 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,358,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You sound exhausting to know.
And this is an example of what's wrong with society...just poorly thought out dislike for anything unusual.

As the world crumbles around us, we're not concerned with that because that's a threat we're familiar with. We're more concerned with me making silly posts on the internet.

We need to burn down culture so we're less concerned with trivial things...not the entertaining kind of culture...but the mundane kind. No need to lose native American or Jewish rituals...just stuff like people's dislike of my post merely because it's odd...that kind of un-thought out reaction.

We should be wild and arrogant and curious in my opinion, and experimental, and filled with a childlike curiosity for stupid, time-wasting things that might, nonetheless, in some unforeseen way, help us in time or teach us.

Neil De Grasse Tyson was right. It's not the kids who need to be taught to be scientists. It's the adults. They've had the drive to be curious pushed out of them.

I want to see how you think by watching your words and studying your reactions...and that's a healthy urge, despite it potentially seeming unsettling.

Last edited by Clintone; 11-29-2019 at 06:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2019, 09:35 AM

12,054 posts, read 8,449,416 times
And ducks quack.

But I'll put in a good word for the personality disorders. We've got a major outbreak of demonization in the social media which has an effect on me. Labeling them as toxic, incurable and other less printable names really hampers understanding or creation of an atmosphere in which they can modify their more harmful behaviors.

Seems pretty cruel for a society which can't go five minutes without virtue signaling for every other kind of social problem.

And depending on the degree of severity many of them are capable of making adjustments to living in society with varying degrees of success. Like everyone they need support and encouragement to succeed.

I have some funny stories about people learning to elevate their behavior from personality disorders and times when their bogeyman popped out unexpectedly and caused a need to start over. Not so funny to them and their loved ones but nearly expected.

Disclaimer: I wouldn't recommend home remedies or chumminess until a process of wellness has begun.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:49 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,402,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
And this is an example of what's wrong with society...just poorly thought out dislike for anything unusual.

As the world crumbles around us, we're not concerned with that because that's a threat we're familiar with. We're more concerned with me making silly posts on the internet.

We need to burn down culture so we're less concerned with trivial things...not the entertaining kind of culture...but the mundane kind. No need to lose native American or Jewish rituals...just stuff like people's dislike of my post merely because it's odd...that kind of un-thought out reaction.

We should be wild and arrogant and curious in my opinion, and experimental, and filled with a childlike curiosity for stupid, time-wasting things that might, nonetheless, in some unforeseen way, help us in time or teach us.

Neil De Grasse Tyson was right. It's not the kids who need to be taught to be scientists. It's the adults. They've had the drive to be curious pushed out of them.

I want to see how you think by watching your words and studying your reactions...and that's a healthy urge, despite it potentially seeming unsettling.
You sound like a complete fake who is very proud of their ability to fake people out by pretending to be human...and that's such a good thing because people like humans?

Can you just BE a nice person?

It kinda feels like you're only a step away from being antisocial/sociopathic because all of your positive behavior is done in the abstract and you keep proudly stressing that you don't care about individuals. So you're a step away from turning into some "benevolent dictator" who knows what is best for everyone and ignoring what people want for themselves. You have a big ego that you need to keep an eye on.

And what does child like curiosity have to do with any of this? And getting rid of culture? Is this an example of a manic-y "flight of ideas"? None of this is gelling.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:57 AM

6,311 posts, read 4,210,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You sound like a complete fake who is very proud of their ability to fake people out by pretending to be human...and that's such a good thing because people like humans?

Can you just BE a nice person?

It kinda feels like you're only a step away from being antisocial/sociopathic because all of your positive behavior is done in the abstract and you keep proudly stressing that you don't care about individuals. So you're a step away from turning into some "benevolent dictator" who knows what is best for everyone and ignoring what people want for themselves. You have a big ego that you need to keep an eye on.

And what does child like curiosity have to do with any of this? And getting rid of culture? Is this an example of a manic-y "flight of ideas"? None of this is gelling.

I just put on ignore since the Poster made it clear that pretty much their modus operandi is to be fake and has lost any validity

Old 11-29-2019, 04:28 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,028,091 times
I've thought in the past that I might be a sociopath, because I almost never feel empathy when I read about issues like homelessness, addiction, abuse, war, or peaceful protesters getting gunned down, but hearing this guy's story tells me I'm probably not. I'm not competitive at all, and in fact I strongly dislike conflict or having "winners" and "losers" in debates. Sometimes I even come to the defense of someone I don't agree with in an argument just because I don't want them to be "on their own", and I've gotten in trouble this way.

Maybe I'm just used to hearing about these social issues, so it's hard for my brain to activate an emotional response to another story, or they're so abstract and general that it's hard to place myself in the shoes of an individual victim.

I am also mostly of the belief that actions, not thoughts, separate good people from the rest of us. If someone is making other people's lives better, even if it's just to boost their own status or recognition or because they've been explicitly conditioned to do so, then they are doing good.

Old 11-29-2019, 05:26 PM

722 posts, read 430,552 times
Quote:

#2. There's nothing I've mentioned that's perverse narcissism. I'd say it's healthy narcissism, if anything. I just described to you my motivations for being a better person...that's all. I want to compete to become a better person. That's a good thing.

You are too preoccupied with what is a good thing and a bad thing. With what is good and what is better.

Be yourself. If you are sad, be sad.
If you want to "pretend" to be sad for others cause of empathy, do it.
Maybe you are not sad for the person that died, but you are sad for the people that are crying.
it doesn't matter why you are sad. Let it out.

The only weird thing that I find, is the way you are describing things. You either don't very good at understanding your emotions, or are bad at expressing yourself to others.

In any case, as long as you are a kind and helpful person, I don't really care about what you say your motives are.
You like sounding logical. You don't like sounding emotional. Well, you are - accept it and get over it.

Old 11-29-2019, 08:22 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,264,501 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzqn6Z_Iss0

So...I found this extremely interesting. This is a video of a neurologist who does not commit major crimes, who was apparently a pretty well-behaved child who has similar inactive areas of his brain related to morality and other areas as many serial killers and psychopaths.

This is the first person I've seen talk who's personality type doesn't confuse me. Just like me...he gets along better with strangers than people he knows well. Just like me, he has a great deal of interest in the idea of assisting the world in general...but not so much interest in individuals. Just like me saw what might be seen as an alarming discovery to many people as interesting. If I am a pro-social psychopath, I am interested and mildly pleased by that...not alarmed.

I've read articles about this guy. One of them says he's extremely competitive but that he'd rather beat people in a debate or discussion than beat them up. I'm extremely competitive too. I mostly come to this website because I want to essentially conquer people. I want to outsmart them. I want to learn to become smarter than them. I want to appear more empathetic than them too. I want to compete to be the most logical, empathetic appearing person on this website...and that's been my main motivation for posting here since the beginning. I've been looking for progressively more clever people to compete with too. I want to appear wise as well. I want to have all the wisest answers to questions.

In addition to the drive to compete, my instincts also strongly push me to play games other people would probably be confused by, and tell people about my ideas. An example of the type of game I would like to play would be, I'd like to pretend to suicidal, or an alien, or think up various other creative lies and watch people's reactions to those lies for entertainment and as a personal challenge...a game to see if I could convince people to believe me. A large part of me has wished other people wouldn't be hurt by that sort of thing. I've learned that most people are far more easily hurt by that sort of thing than I am. I don't understand what that feels like, but I can see it. My ideal Citi-Data would be filled with trolls. Figuring out who's lying and who isn't could be another game.

Now...why I don't engage in all that lying is because I don't understand the emotional ramifications that would have on most people, and I like to be very careful when I don't understand how people will react. I don't like feeling distrusted. I have very weak emotional ties to individuals. I do not react negatively to harm that comes to others in any major ways...but I like feeling trusted by people. I want to engage in games of lying...but not if other people don't want to. I'd like to act bizarrely around people to watch how they react as an experiment...but not if other people would be worried by that, rather than laugh at it. I know they'd often be worried by that.
OK, now I'm curious. When you say you want to engage in games of lying...but not if other people don't want to, what do you mean by that?

Old 11-30-2019, 02:04 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,257,710 times
if you believe.....they put a man on the moon.... (r.e.m.)

Now, Andy, did you hear about this one?
Tell me, are you locked in the punch?
Andy, are you goofing on Elvis? Hey, baby
Are we losing touch?

this all reminds me of Andy kaufman ….he was on Taxi....
kind of an odd duck...…. but very interesting person he pushed things to his limits of believability … and had daily impulses of deceptions ...

Old 11-30-2019, 04:54 AM

7,597 posts, read 4,172,313 times
Quote:
In addition to the drive to compete, my instincts also strongly push me to play games other people would probably be confused by, and tell people about my ideas. An example of the type of game I would like to play would be, I'd like to pretend to suicidal, or an alien, or think up various other creative lies and watch people's reactions to those lies for entertainment and as a personal challenge...a game to see if I could convince people to believe me. A large part of me has wished other people wouldn't be hurt by that sort of thing. I've learned that most people are far more easily hurt by that sort of thing than I am. I don't understand what that feels like, but I can see it. My ideal Citi-Data would be filled with trolls. Figuring out who's lying and who isn't could be another game.
You like to play games to get reactions? No wonder you feel more comfortable with strangers who have no commitment to you.

Old 11-30-2019, 06:58 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times
Quote:

Hello pot, meet kettle.

Quote:

We need to burn down culture so we're less concerned with trivial things...not the entertaining kind of culture...but the mundane kind.
I remember when this actually happened ... after 9-11.

There were no stupid "news" stories about Britney Spears et al. Just people focused on survival and banding together physically and spiritually. There still were some naysayers.

Quote:

No need to lose native American or Jewish rituals...just stuff like people's dislike of my post merely because it's odd...that kind of un-thought out reaction.
Speaking of "un-thought out" ... People aren't disliking your post because it's odd or silly. It's because it reveals an excessively naive hubris that really is sad.

You want SO badly to be seen as something that you just aren't, and for all the wrong reasons.

I agree that this sounds more like a warped coping mechanism you've developed to ward off potentially unsuccessful interactions. It's not science, or curiosity. It's a weapon. And it IS childish, though.

Quote:

What you described is more than mere observation. It's manipulation, which is not healthy and nothing to be proud of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology