Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 07:02 AM

909 posts, read 545,605 times

Advertisements

IThis article is called the big five model of personality, but it is actually a theory that is being titled "All there is and ever could be", and it is stated that all humans are different worlds none of us are alike. I been looking at people from the past and present that have high IQ levels from Richard Branson and Albert Einstein. It has been established that no one thinks alike. Me for example I have an entrepreneur mindset and I constantly am trying to produce multiple streams of income and life skills.
https://positivepsychology.com/big-f...nality-theory/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 12:13 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Wouldn't we all love "multiple streams of income" and life skills?

I find what the article says is something most of us already know, and has been known by common man for years.
The psychologists have just created special words and then categorized us into them.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
The five factor model is actually over a hundred years old, and is drawn from and expands upon Hippocrates' four basic temperament types...so it's not like categorizing groups via taxonomy is some crazy newfangled thing.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:16 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,006,598 times
Ctrl+F to "OCEAN: The Five Factors" to see where it actually explains the traits.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:10 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
THE older I get the more I believe we all have borderline superpowers.....yet we dim our own lights ….by insecurities, buried pain, anger shame/guilt.....essentially all of fears brothers

in summary if we can let all our anchors go ….and set off our own unique tnt/dynamite we can burn bright with confidence and a positive glow …
then we can finally focus without doubts...and do what we love and are gifted to do .

Old 12-30-2019, 09:55 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,028,006 times
The OCEAN model bothers me because 4 of the 5 scales have an obvious "positive" direction. If I were 16 and my guidance counselor told me I scored low on "conscientiousness" and "agreeability" (which I probably would have), it would have depressed me. As opposed to say sensing/intuition, where neither side has a value judgment.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:03 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Isn't this very similar to Meyers-Briggs?

Old 01-09-2020, 03:21 AM

4,030 posts, read 3,308,084 times
The difference between the Ocean model and Myers Brigs is the same difference between astronomy and astrology. One has independent 3rd party confirmation of results and the other doesn't.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...n-t-die?page=1

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/b...-test-bull****

Old 01-09-2020, 06:00 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
The difference between the Ocean model and Myers Brigs is the same difference between astronomy and astrology. One has independent 3rd party confirmation of results and the other doesn't.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...n-t-die?page=1

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/b...-test-bull****
Although those are simply opinion articles.

Old 01-09-2020, 07:24 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Same old same old.

For thousands of years there have been attempts to explain human psychology according to three, or four, or five traits - each of which supposedly has certain characteristics, and the blend of which allows you (supposedly) to explain everything about another person.

Witness "OCNJ" which supposedly explains everything about a person so described.

Except it doesn't.

When you actually look at the tests that are supposed to sort you into one of the four, or twelve, or sixteen, or however many, slots, the questions are basically so vague as to be meaningless. Questions like "would you rather go out with friends or stay home and read a book" leave out so much context that you find yourself picking answers according to how you want the test to represent you (what if, sometimes, I want to do one and sometimes I want to do the other, depending on a host of factors? Well, I think of myself as outgoing and socially adept, so I'll pick "go out with friends".)

Being humans, and having evolved when REAL threats tended to be clear cut and unambiguous (tiger! Run, climb tree, fight?) we naturally seek to simplify each situation so we can apply simple rules without having to make subtle distinctions. Sometimes this works out well ("holding up the liquor store and then shooting the clerk so he can't identify you, is WRONG") and sometimes not so well ("I think so and so fits into xyz psychological category according to the book I read last week, so I'm going to treat them like abc").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology