Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2019, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 672 times

Advertisements

My father and I had been at odds with each other for the last 4 months. We had a huge argument over something tha seems utterly ridiculous now.

Since Christmas was getting closer, my mother basically gave me an ultimatum, telling me I had to put an end to this silly disagreement.

We finally had a long conversation yesterday, it all ended with a big hug and it's all settled now.

When I woke up today, it was like a ton had been lifted off my chest. I couldn't remember being able to take such a deep breath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 02:40 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
IMHO, having some unresolved conflict with someone you have to deal with on a regular basis adds to your load of background stress. The more stressors you carry around the more tension they can create. Tension, anxiety, always feeling you have to be mentally "on guard" at any moment is tiring. There could be guilt wrapped up in it too. To suppress what you really want to tell someone for a long time takes energy. To resolve it is like being able to drop a burden once and for all. It is uplifting and freeing, which can make you feel better.

Have you ever done any backpacking? You lift a 50 lb backpack, set it on your back, and have to get used to carrying and balancing the weight. It takes a while to get used to it. When you finally take the pack off, you feel as if you will float away into the air. You won't, but it feels that way for a while.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:14 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
we are clumpers we clump all our stresses together and try to carry it around all day....like a dung beetle pushing a dung ball...

this keeps us awake at night ...not sleeping and having more aches...and its this stress which causes inflammation..

anyways we need to break down that nig clump and face things-head on ….then the clump gets smaller and you feel better

Old 12-21-2019, 04:19 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Yes. What can also bring you peace was somebody drawing a clear line for you like your mother did. Hopefully, the next time you have a disagreement with your father, you draw a clear line for yourself that you will not cross with him.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:09 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Yes. What can also bring you peace was somebody drawing a clear line for you like your mother did. Hopefully, the next time you have a disagreement with your father, you draw a clear line for yourself that you will not cross with him.
This presumes that the OP was entirely at fault, when the responsibility for the ill will may lie on both sides.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:13 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
This presumes that the OP was entirely at fault, when the responsibility for the ill will may lie on both sides.
True. That is why you don't wait until a parent has drawn the line for you and only you because then you accept responsibility.

Old 12-21-2019, 11:45 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryTron View Post
My father and I had been at odds with each other for the last 4 months. We had a huge argument over something tha seems utterly ridiculous now.

Since Christmas was getting closer, my mother basically gave me an ultimatum, telling me I had to put an end to this silly disagreement.

We finally had a long conversation yesterday, it all ended with a big hug and it's all settled now.

When I woke up today, it was like a ton had been lifted off my chest. I couldn't remember being able to take such a deep breath.
Well, for one thing, it means a source of stress has been removed, so you're not living on stress hormones anymore. That's huge! Chronic stress hormones in the system has negative effects on health, especially long-term.

Old 12-24-2019, 06:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I think we're only responsible for our own actions and that includes taking responsibility for our own actions. The OP's tone struck that note with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology