Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 07:05 AM

2,480 posts, read 1,552,838 times

Advertisements

50 no problem. For me, the 40’s was the decade of unwelcome surprises. Body and mind were bucking the facts of mid-life. I’m 55, healthy and fit, and feel good. But that 6-0 number is looming.... That number kind of freaks me out. At least I have retirement to look forward to! Enjoy your 5-0’s!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 07:34 AM

29 posts, read 29,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
50 just seems really old to me! I've always been told I look 10 years younger than my true age (plus I have a 10 yo child). I feel like I can't accept the fact I'm turning 50. Is 50 old??
When you think about it, Looking at the big picture people are living past 100 these days. So turning 50 is the halfway point in our lives. It's now time to settle into our true self. The lifestyle you always wanted. Things you haven't done but wish to still do. Learn from all those experiences and mistakes.

It's another chapter in life. I'll be turning 50 myself in 2020. And I've got to say I feel quite excited about it. My children are older, maybe they're leaving the nest or you just don't feel satisfied in your job. It's the perfect time to put your needs, desires, hopes, or dreams first again.

For me, I've been traveling down the road of self exploration for a few years now. I was diagnosed with a medical condition in 2013 and BAM... Changed my life forever. I had to learn to accept, cope, and adapt all while changing my career path.

So for the past 6 years, my health had to be top priority so that I could live a happy healthy lifestyle with a very rare condition that can make me extremely ill. I've got the best managed care plan to date. I advocate and give support and during this time... I've really learned who I am "this new form of me".

In fact, I'm doing things the old me would have never done. Simply because my course was set before me and I was forced to make changes.. ready or not!

Turning 50 is a big thing! You should be proud of your accomplishments and jump in with both feet for 50 more years.

Sure I'm feeling a few aches and pains I didn't in my 20's but I'm fit, get enough sleep, eat right.. the only thing different about me is my body has aged and I've got a rare condition. I stay active, do all my physical therapy, keep to my restrictions and accommodation, and live life. Not much stresses me out and I find things that would normally bother be before all this... doesn't phase me at all. I've always been a go-getter, independent person but I know my limits and I'm not afraid to say no.

Maybe think about what you like about your life. What you don't like about your life and change it. Not all at once. But set small goals. Change one thing at a time.

Old 12-28-2019, 07:46 AM

224 posts, read 377,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abderian View Post
When I feel like whining about my age I remind myself of this quote:

“Do not regret growing old. It is a privilege denied to many.”

I can relate to this. Men in my family tend to be short-lived, and I worried that might be my fate as well. I didn't feel much of anything when I hit 30, 40 or 50 but I fixated on 54 years three months, which was my dad's age at the time of his death. It was probably irrational, but when I passed that milestone it was a relief. I felt like a survivor!

Now I feel I am on bonus time. When I turned 60 I thought, "Yay! I never thought I'd see 60!"

Old 12-28-2019, 08:05 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
On birthdays here's what I experienced - but of course this is just me.

Turning 20 - I don't even remember it.

Turning 30 - I recall feeling weird that I was no longer a "kid" - I was truly, truly an adult. Now, I'd been living on my own since I was 19 and was totally "adulting" by the time I hit 30, but something clicked that hadn't been active before.

40 - That was the hardest birthday for me emotionally for some weird reason - and I was surprised at how morose it made me feel. But I got over it - LOL.

50 - I turned 50 nearly 8 years ago. This is one I expected to be crunk about but surprisingly, I wasn't at all. If anything, I was sort of excited by it, for no discernible reason. I think it had to do with reaching some sort of weird "half way point" and feeling GREAT. No health issues, no aging issues, healthy adult kids and healthy parents and brothers. What I didn't realize - thankfully, I guess, at least on that day, was that my 50s would be a decade of great loss. All four of my husband and my parents passed away and so did one of my brothers, and the other was diagnosed with an incurable disease. And the ripple effect was that one of my adult daughters decided her entire family was toxic, but especially me and my brothers and one of her siblings, and she has totally cut herself off from me and mostly cut herself off from the rest of the family. I had never anticipated so much incessant and back to back heart ache. Personally my health is fine and so is my husband's, thank goodness, and we are financially fine so no money issues. I am trying to get myself back on line and emotionally and physically strong after all these blows. Good news is - it's coming together.

My point though is that every decade birthday was an emotional surprise to me once it got here.

I will say this though about the 50s - this has become the decade in which I really, truly became oblivious to what anyone else thinks of me. I cannot stress enough that I simply DO NOT CARE what others think of me. I am not out to impress anyone. I have come to realize that 1) Most people are completely oblivious to strangers anyway and so what if the random person isn't? and 2) Peace from within is absolutely priceless and the most important and life altering element I can strive for. So I strive for that - and I'm getting it back, thank goodness.

Good luck in your fifties and beyond!
Great post! 40 was similar for me. Divorce, midlife crisis, unemployed during the recession. Questioning my life in general. It was the worst decade of my life thusfar.

50 was hard because as you said, its the halfway point (likely more than that for me being an unmarried man). I feel a lot of pressure (self imposed) to have the family I "should" have had 20 years ago. I'm working hard to make that happen, despite it meaning I have to go overseas to do it. At some point, those things might diminish, though I hope not. Anyway, that's been my experience, compounded by living where I don't want to live and hoping I can move back home while I'm still young enough to enjoy it. I still like going to concerts and being really active. But in general, I'm feeling like I'm at least a decade behind in my personal goals and probably pressing too hard to make those happen before I die. I also lost my mother when I turned 50, which left me with no parents. Hard to adjust to that as well, especially at this time of the year, as she died last Christmas Eve.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:13 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
50 ? You're a child. I'm 67 1/2 and don't feel any different than when I was 40. Still working my business, still sailing, still listen to loud rock music in the car, still play video games and on and on. Age is in your mind, just keep being happy and positive and you'll be fine.
This is awesome, especially since I'm still wanting a child. I visited my cousins for Christmas and they have little girls 8 & 10 years old. I went hiking with them while all the "adults" sat on the porch and drank. They wanted to know how soon I was coming back and referred to me as a big kid. I loved that! I wish I had daughters like the 2 of them, so I just embraced every moment with them and made sure I paid attention to them, unlike most of the adults there. I hope I have a kid and it keeps me young, rather than aging me the way I've seen many parents age. It needs to happen soon though.

Old 12-28-2019, 02:02 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Turning a certain age sometimes hits us harder than any other year, generally a round number like 40, 50, etc. When I turned 30 I was really depressed, I was no longer "young" and was leaving my youth. But when I turned 40 and beyond, I never gave it a thought.

Ask anyone who is in their 70's and 80's and they will tell you that you are a pup. Enjoy your youth, the years fly by faster every year, as we age.
Glad it's not just me then!

I will also be turning 50 in 2020.

30 didn't bother me in the least and 40 was also not a big deal. I didn't even mind 45.

I am surprised that 50 is bothering me so much and feel kind of silly about it because it isn't like I can do anything to stop it from happening

quinquagintophobia=fear of fifty. LOL there's a phobia for it

Old 12-28-2019, 02:38 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
its not the age its the mileage.
besides if you were a dog you'd be 300 !!

I didn't think id make it this far ….im a few yrs older than 50
now I jump for joy on my birthdays .. screaming "I made it" !!!!!

god gave us a gift.....poorer eye-sight as we fall apart so we don't see it as clearer

Old 12-28-2019, 02:39 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,871 times
You are on the downhill slope now and years just seem to move ever faster.

Whats gotta be bit freaky is those that reach 100 and brain still functional. You know time is definitely short at that point, no kidding yourself.

You know those old folk in wheel chair they roll out for 100th birthday and the idiot human interest reporter asks them how they lived so long... Like to see one of them pickup a lamp and bash reporter over the head with it.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:17 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
50 just seems really old to me! I've always been told I look 10 years younger than my true age (plus I have a 10 yo child). I feel like I can't accept the fact I'm turning 50. Is 50 old??
50 is old if you feel old. I have seen males and females bust more butt than I could at 30...and they were 50+ and 60+

Age is a designation to time, not an indication of ability.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:57 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You will never be younger than you are right now.
This! If you think you are old NOW, just wait!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology