Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2017, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,955 times

Advertisements

I signed a very simple sublease agreement with another roommate in my apartment, which was only for June 1st to August 31st. We never renewed it, but I've been paying every single month anyway. The only statement about terminating the lease was "If you want to vacate the apartment early, you will give me at least 1 full month's notice." It doesn't state from the first of the month or mention "full rental period."

My question is, if I give notice on the 14th of February, can I move out on the 15th of March?

Second question— would I only be required to pay two weeks rent of March/landlord is required to prorate?

Also would like to note that I am not on the official lease with the landlord of the building, only with another girl who lives in the unit.

I'm based in NYC by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 09:44 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
That clause only applied to early termination, "If you want to vacate the apartment early." You are within city/state law territory now that you are beyond the original term so you can ignore that part of the lease, other parts still apply.

NY has seperate laws for within NYC and the state as a whole so make sure you are looking at the right stuff for where you actually live. State law says one full term so your notice needs to be given before your rental due date and runs until the day before rent is due again. If you are actually in NYC then 30 days notice prior to then end of the term is required, basically the same thing but putting a firm 30 days on it. Mid term vacating doesn't appear to be an option either way.

Quote:
NYC Requirement
No monthly tenant, or tenant from month to month, shall hereafter be removed from any lands or buildings in the city of New York on the grounds of holding over his term unless at least thirty days before the expiration of the term the landlord or his agent serve upon the tenant, in the same manner in which a notice of petition in summary proceedings is now allowed to be served by law, a notice in writing to the effect that the landlord elects to terminate the tenancy and that unless the tenant removes from such premises on the day on which his term expires the landlord will commence summary proceedings under the statute to remove such tenant therefrom.

N.Y. RPL §§ 232-a
Quote:
State Requirement
A monthly tenancy or tenancy from month to month of any lands or buildings located outside of the city of New York may be terminated by the landlord or the tenant upon his notifying the other at least one month before the expiration of the term of his election to terminate;  provided, however, that no notification shall be necessary to terminate a tenancy for a definite term.

N.Y. Real Prop. Law § 232-b

Old 02-09-2017, 11:44 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviaschh View Post
It doesn't state from the first of the month or mention "full rental period."
Payment cycle dictates.

Quote:
My question is, if I give notice on the 14th of February, can I move out on the 15th of March?
You can move out any time you like...
but you'll be paying through March (in this example)

Last edited by MrRational; 02-09-2017 at 12:02 PM..

Old 02-09-2017, 02:18 PM

9,857 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Since it's just with another roommate, I'd ask and see what they say. That may be enough time for them to find a new roommate to take your place by the middle of March.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:24 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
That clause only applied to early termination, "If you want to vacate the apartment early." You are within city/state law territory now that you are beyond the original term so you can ignore that part of the lease, other parts still apply...
Which means in most states, month to month and 30 days is typically the norm assuming you pay rent monthly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting