Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 12:44 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times

Advertisements

Who are people who are consistently, loudly noisy and never need or desire quiet? They seem aggressive even if they are not outwardly mean. I have noticed a significant increase in these types within the past five or ten years in the US. I almost think they might be depressed at some level and need constant intense stimulation, or something, like a bipolar person on a binge.

It doesn't seem healthy to be so intense all the time, seems like it would push up cortisol stress levels. Yet it is the way of life many are choosing as they embrace and contribute to it. It creates a more amped society that may be more prone to acting out negatively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 01:48 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
They're just extroverts. They need the stimulation the way us introverts need the quiet. Both types are fine, no need to bash either.

Old 12-28-2019, 02:25 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
They're just extroverts. They need the stimulation the way us introverts need the quiet. Both types are fine, no need to bash either.
It is a real phenomenon, and it is more than extroversion. The post is NOT about introversion vs. extroversion, it is specific to people who are constantly environmentally LOUD, not people who are social or less social. Many extroverts are really sweet, considerate people who just love to be around people but they are not loud or obnoxious.

I simply want to examine the need for constant excessive sensory, physical stimulation.

Health issues are related to excessive environmental noise, not excessive quiet. There are laws on the books about too much noise, not too much quiet because one is harmful.

Old 12-29-2019, 05:31 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
I always wonder if these people used to bang on their mother's pots and pans with a wooden spoon when they were little.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:32 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,790 posts, read 4,155,161 times
I worked with a guy, now 48, who was often angry, but passive-aggressive. His world revolved around hearing and creating as much noise as possible. He would have hard rock and heavy metal cranked up on his radio all the time, with no regard for those nearby. If he was moving a load with a forklift or pallet jack, he would drop the load as hard/noisily as possible. Out of the blue sometimes he would do a loud, maniacal laugh.

This sort of need for a loud environment, disturbing the peace, or constant noisy stimuli is nothing to do with being an extrovert, and everything to do with mental issues.

Oh, and this guy and all his shenanigans (incl. poor work quality) were protected by the union. Now here's where it gets good... as of the 31st of Dec he is permenantly laid off. I can't imagine that he is going to last at any other employer besides the dysfunctional environment that was our workplace (I retired in 2017)

Old 12-29-2019, 08:06 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,413,419 times
I am extremely sensitive and everything bothers me including temperature, sounds, smells, lights, vibes, etc... so I realize i'm way overboard on the opposite end, but I could never understand how people cope with a constant racket.

Doesn't it hurt their ears? How can they think and concentrate with music and tv blaring, shouting, loud talking, coughing, barking dogs, motorcycles and mufflers. I wonder if their brains don't process sound adequately?

The other day I had a mini-meltdown in my own house with my windows closed because my new neighbor was playing music, and I could hear it. It pretty much rattled and disturbed me so much, I was fuming and lashing out for hours about it, until finally I took a walk and that was enough to calm myself down.

I thought surely this is some low-life scum bucket who moved in. After googling discovered this person is an artist and teacher, involved in artistic projects around the city, not a low life scum bucket at all. I doubt he is blasting music to annoy or upset me. He just likes the constant loud noise apparently.

Old 12-29-2019, 01:53 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Who are people who are consistently, loudly noisy and never need or desire quiet? They seem aggressive even if they are not outwardly mean. I have noticed a significant increase in these types within the past five or ten years in the US. I almost think they might be depressed at some level and need constant intense stimulation, or something, like a bipolar person on a binge.

It doesn't seem healthy to be so intense all the time, seems like it would push up cortisol stress levels. Yet it is the way of life many are choosing as they embrace and contribute to it. It creates a more amped society that may be more prone to acting out negatively.
Maybe it is how they were trained at their schools. Think these over decorated loud classrooms are now "normal". Walk into one and if you went to school before the 1980s, you might feel overwhelmed. I know i did.

After i retired i thought about teaching. I remember taking a test in an Ed class and what does the instructor do? Start playing music. I was mad. I need peace and quiet. He was a teacher teaching future teachers and that is what he modeled - so there you go - .

I quit that career path.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:48 PM

43,119 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Maybe it is how they were trained at their schools. Think these over decorated loud classrooms are now "normal". Walk into one and if you went to school before the 1980s, you might feel overwhelmed. I know i did.

After i retired i thought about teaching. I remember taking a test in an Ed class and what does the instructor do? Start playing music. I was mad. I need peace and quiet. He was a teacher teaching future teachers and that is what he modeled - so there you go - .

I quit that career path.
Classrooms are overwhelming with stimuli ....every inch of wall space is covered with something.
Imagine that for 13-14 years as it starts in pre-school now.
They become conditioned to it. And going to the school library seems to unnerve most of them; they can't sit still nor can they keep quiet.

I subbed and tutored for a number of years after I retired in various schools/grade levels.

LOL..the only room where I felt "at peace" was in ISS where the walls were bare !

Old 12-30-2019, 09:20 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
I only know two people who cannot stand silence, they always have to have the radio blaring loudly, even when we are talking.

Both of them are mentally ill, aggressive, and have a lot of issues with themselves.

I used to like loud music everywhere in my 20s, that was my party time. Now I like silence. So I hear the voices in my head better. Just kidding.

Old 12-30-2019, 01:56 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
I know some people like that. Don't know if I'd say they are mentally ill, but they can't do anything quietly. A simple conversation is impossible. Even just a couple feet away face to face and they are practically screaming at the top of their lungs like you are on the other end of a football field. Or, as someone mentioned above, they will laugh at something trivial in the middle of a meeting so loudly that I've seen people who were listening to the speak jump from being startled.

That's one reason I love a private office. I can close the door and block out the overly loud conversations back and forth across the room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology