Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 09:00 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
This is one of many news articles that look at the geography of suicide hot spots:https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...micide-suicide

Based on just the table in this story, the SW of the US seems to be the biggest hot spot.

Does it tell story?
Are you looking at ALL the maps?

We can be fooled by "increases" as opposed to totals or percentages. It certainly looks like the center of misery is WV/KY/OH and the midwest rust and coal belts in general (topmost map).

This aligns with most other indicators such as number of people on Federal Relief, etc.

Lower populations in the SW plus the Native American populations...and the vast numbers of people moving into those areas from elsewhere make it hard to suss that area out as well.

The epicenters in the midwest are not that way - that is, the populations are stable or even declining and it ia largely the same people (multi-generational)

That's my take on the map anyway.

Maybe someone here can hazard a guess as to why OK looks so bad?

All these charts can be misleading because many depict places where almost no one lives!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 10:28 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Interestingly enough, black children have a higher suicide rate than white children.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...new-data-show/
Yup. It supports the point I was trying to make in a previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
The thing is, these rates follow globally as well. Even suicide rates in Africa are lower than in Europe or East Asia.

Might have something to do with the fact that people in poverty or more violence/war-stricken areas have to fight for their lives and survival more often so they don't have time to have existential crisises and think about how much of a failure their lives have been.

When your wealthy by global standards and don't have to fight to survive, you have more time to start thinking about your life in retrospect. This is why suicide rates are highest among white men in their 40s and 50s. For blacks, it's highest in their childhood where they're more likely to be bullied.
Think about it. Someone like Trump is someone many white American males aspire to be. Once they hit 45 or 55 and start thinking about what they accomplished in life, many of them become disappointed and depressed that they didn't actually achieve much or live up to their own expectations. This is when they begin thinking about suicide. There's another term for it "Mid-life crisis".

High suicide rates among Native Americans probably have their own unique circumstances.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:43 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
Guilt over white privilege.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:40 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Why is the suicide rate highest among the White ethnicity? I would have thought it would be the highest among the Blacks and Hispanics. Because in comparison the Whites are mostly privileged and mostly better at financially. So how do we account for the white suicide rate?
I disagree that whites are "mostly privileged," depending on what you mean by that. Black males are often better off in the work force, politics, and other areas, than white women. Reminder: Black men got the vote long before women of any race got it. It was a given that men of all races had the right to vote. But not women of any race. In the work place, sometimes being a minority can be an advantage. So let's keep it real. Some whites are privileged in some ways, is more accurate.

As for suicide, you'd have to do research on that. It could be that fewer white people, as a race, are as religious as blacks, Hispanics, and other races. It could also be biological. There are physical conditions that are more likely in one race or another; I don't know why there couldn't be mental ones, as well. Particularly with depression.

It's also possible that there is less family emotional support among many white people compared to other races, as a generalization.

If it's true that a higher percentage of whites commit suicide than other races, then there is probably research about that.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:20 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,037,588 times
Socio-economic comparison also contributes, outside of race and geography.
https://www.businessinsider.com/link...eserve-2012-11
"Researchers from the San Francisco Federal Reserve found people who earn 10 percent less than their neighbors are 4.5 percent more likely to commit suicide."

Associating and living among people with similar finances seems to be a good idea.

Old 01-28-2020, 03:31 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Right. Currently 62%.
Whites have a suicide rate of 18.5 per 100,000 people, leading to the highest total number of suicides for any racial or ethnic group in the U.S.
The rate is relative to population size.

The problem is somehow explained here:
https://www.thenation.com/article/ar...test-epidemic/

In Canada the rate is 11.3 per 100,000 (2017)
Canadian First Nations is 3 X higher

Old 01-28-2020, 03:51 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
"Researchers from the San Francisco Federal Reserve found people who earn 10 percent less than their neighbors are 4.5 percent more likely to commit suicide."

Associating and living among people with similar finances seems to be a good idea.
Ten percent isn't that much less. I'm not buying it. How does everyone even know what their neighbors make.

I grew up in an economically diverse area, it was fine. I'm not sure what happened except for behavioral issues and/or general snobbery. I have noted more of both lately.

It is problematic if an area changes suddenly and residents are trapped in hell, or gentrified out. These are major stresses.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:19 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post

Business Insider is a click bait blog - that said, I find it difficult to believe that any study would be able to tell what the resources of a person are within 10 percent.

Joe next door might have a net worth of 900K and I might have 1M but Joe may have a parent who is about to pass away and he knows he's getting 500K more...or Joe may have 1.2M but a child with Downs that he knows will cost him all his $$ to raise.

I don't buy that one. On my street here in FL. I have to assume at least a 10X (1000%) disparity in income. Up north it's probably tighter but still maybe 4X or more. The guy up the street owned and sold the Big Harley Dealership so I can be certain he blows away anyone else on the block.

Old 01-28-2020, 05:06 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I disagree that whites are "mostly privileged," depending on what you mean by that. Black males are often better off in the work force, politics, and other areas, than white women. Reminder: Black men got the vote long before women of any race got it. It was a given that men of all races had the right to vote. But not women of any race. In the work place, sometimes being a minority can be an advantage. So let's keep it real. Some whites are privileged in some ways, is more accurate.

As for suicide, you'd have to do research on that. It could be that fewer white people, as a race, are as religious as blacks, Hispanics, and other races. It could also be biological. There are physical conditions that are more likely in one race or another; I don't know why there couldn't be mental ones, as well. Particularly with depression.

It's also possible that there is less family emotional support among many white people compared to other races, as a generalization.

If it's true that a higher percentage of whites commit suicide than other races, then there is probably research about that.
Black males have the highest unemployment rates in the country so they're not better off than white women.

Old 01-28-2020, 05:51 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Interestingly enough, black children have a higher suicide rate than white children.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...new-data-show/
I brought that up in post #2 in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology