Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 11:42 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Airplanes dropped bombs during that time.
Where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 12:13 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
There's a number of people who'll say they never get angry, never get depressed, and they're in denial.
That poster just said they weren't depressed. They didn't say they didn't have any problems. Perhaps they have the coping skills to handle life's ups and downs without falling into a depression.

To your OP, seeing closed businesses doesn't bother me at all. If unfortunate that many people can't go to work but it's not causing depression.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:38 PM

3,501 posts, read 2,664,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Where?
Germany

Old 04-22-2020, 12:58 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
I'll admit to getting a little bummed out when my retirement savings dropped $ 300,000, but other than that I'm fine. I'm doing an appraisal every other day or so, so that gets me out of the house and keeps money coming in. On days like today when I'm not working, I like to make a list of errands to run and things to do. That lets me focus more on the positive things rather on all the bad news. I stopped watching the news pretty much, it's just the same old bad news every day. Garbage in - garbage out. Otherwise, I just continue to be thankful for my many blessings and soldier on. As they say, this too shall pass.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:24 AM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Quote:
I'm trying hard to keep in better spirits during this period, I don't watch TV, but I just took a drive to Home Depot and seeing all these stores/restaurants en route, I couldn't help but thinking about all these unemployed people, and depressed I became, just from that car drive.

Depression can take on a number of different colors, our depressions are not all alike. Some people, strangely, enough laugh more when they're depressed, as there's a razor thin line between laughter and crying, so those types don't fool me in the least. And some people overeat, over drink, overdo it with the sweets. When I'm depressed, a piece of cake with lots of frosting is like no other! That can take my depression down a notch or 2 real quickly.

How about you, what are you doing to stay above the clouds during this challenging period of our lives?
I think you're experiencing sadness or pity (for yourself or others), not depression.
Sadness is transitory, perhaps caused by seeing something sad, maybe relieved by a piece of cake.
Depression is long lasting and hard to shake.

I work several hours a day on a huge project. It's nearing completion, but there's another one waiting.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:57 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Since I am a homebody spending this much time at home is working very well for me.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:36 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
How about you, what are you doing to stay above the clouds during this challenging period of our lives?
Read "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy, front to back.

That'll keep you busy for awhile.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:36 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
I reenact 2 of my top 4-6 spontaneous lines ever. Then I can't stop laughing.
I'm SO cool sometimes.
This isn't even my best - ....So I'm sitting waiting for my friends at a classy, downtown piano bar after work -

(a steak with no sides is $35-40). But ya gotta picture it. 3 stools down at the horseshoe bar are
2 attorney assistants rolled up sleeves, one says, '
'Excuse me, what is that you're drinking?"....I say,
'Absolut with cranberry'.
I take a sip, then turn again, ''I don't really need the cranberry''.
Take another slowwww sip, "Hell ...I don't even need the glass."

Bada bing. Good times.
My best is yet to come, if I dare.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:54 AM

3,501 posts, read 2,664,329 times
Think about the good times with family and friends and enjoy your life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lImjP8q2uS4

Old 04-23-2020, 12:57 PM

1,558 posts, read 1,158,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Read "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy, front to back.

That'll keep you busy for awhile.
Good suggestion. And you won't be alone...

https://lithub.com/havent-read-war-a...ual-book-club/

https://apublicspace.org/news/detail/tolstoy-together

Another way to keep yourself from becoming excessively sad or depressed during this time- https://www.randomactsofkindness.org/

I think it was David Brooks who said a few weeks ago that perhaps the reason the flu pandemic of 100 years ago was not talked about much was bc folks were ashamed of their behavior. (IIRC regarding hording) He was hopeful that would not happen again.. And my experience leads me to think it is not happening again. The (albeit very few) people I've encountered over the past six weeks have invariably been kind.

I have read about (and engaged in) lots of kind acts during this time. Of course these acts are helpful to those on the receiving end, but as we all know, the person extending the kindness gains as well.

Last edited by LilyMae521; 04-23-2020 at 01:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology