Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Adversity builds character
Yes, I agree 19 51.35%
No, I disagree 10 27.03%
Really can't relate 3 8.11%
You're plain out nuts 5 13.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 08:01 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,622,376 times

Advertisements

Just a quick take/read on how others are feeling re this subject? Been thru more than my share of emotional rides this past yr or 2 of my life. From some of worst moments in my existence, to brief glimpses of brief, fleeting smoke n mirrors happiness.

It is just that, the overall the trend seems bigtime trending toward crashing overall downward & even some of the strongest emotional "tough guys/girls" I know, have buckled & crumbled under the weight of outside stressors -- whether in their own families or externally to them.

Anyone get the vibe that the pollyanna/gingerbread & lollipops world -- & illusion that things will "be ok" someway, somehow -- is becoming closer to a delusional reality in your day to day life? Just wondering or am I going completely off the rails & bat**** crazy?

I was always told; careful what you wish -- you just might get it!

Perhaps in some bizarre way I needed or desired this to built character thru adversity & grief/misery. Iv'e hidden it, talked thru it, worked around it, seen a doc for it, etc. yet constant remains -- it is/feels virtually insurmountable. Before you say this is nebulous and foggy statements, please let me conclude by saying -- how many here have really not experienced this or better yet -- ARE in the throes of it now??

TY for reading & thinking I'm crazy or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 08:29 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,333 times
"What don't kill you makes you stronger."
The bible.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
I like the joke about adversity and making you stronger and kicking Superman’s butt I laughed so hard when I heard it

Old 05-04-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
"what don't kill you makes you stronger."
the bible.
i know it!

Last edited by movintime; 05-04-2020 at 09:18 PM..

Old 05-04-2020, 08:58 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Good point, Jonesy!

No way this is earthly. There's a higher power directing this show, I KNOW IT!
Its trying to kill us now. We'll show it.
I've lived without sugar for my coffee the past 2 days, I can take it.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:02 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,030,431 times
I resonate more with the saying "Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it."

Old 05-04-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I resonate more with the saying "Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it."
Disagree.

I'm not letting this comment stand or Stalinism will outright ban me by morn.

Last edited by movintime; 05-04-2020 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: Stalinism is watching every post u make

Old 05-04-2020, 10:32 PM

5,493 posts, read 3,934,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
"What don't kill you makes you stronger."
The bible.
Perhaps the Bible is the source of the grammatically incorrect version, but the originator of 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger' was the staunchly anti-Christian philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche. He himself suffered a mental breakdown from which he never recovered, thus (somewhat) undermining his own earlier claim....

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 05-04-2020 at 10:48 PM..

Old 05-04-2020, 11:50 PM

8,673 posts, read 3,876,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Perhaps the Bible is the source of the grammatically incorrect version, but the originator of 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger' was the staunchly anti-Christian philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche. He himself suffered a mental breakdown from which he never recovered, thus (somewhat) undermining his own earlier claim....
Nietzsche didn't undermine his own claim i.e. there is relevance today to psychological resilience in the face of adversity. He suffered from a mental breakdown/illness which is psychiatry (as opposed to psychology).

There is an astronomical difference between influencing the self psychologically (with a normal functioning brain) vs. curing a mental illness (or any disease) on one's own.

Old 05-05-2020, 08:27 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,265 times
I think life experiences are a bit analogous to physical work or exercise. They're a good thing at some level, but you can get too much of a good thing and break down. Ideally challenges are met, the body/mind adjusts to that level of challenge and can then take on a greater challenge without getting overwhelmed. That's ideal though and works best in structured settings like school or some types of work.

With life challenges, which are often decidedly unstructured and chaotic at times, you still have the opportunity to mine something of value from even a very ****ty experience. I've had a couple of especially ****ed up periods in my life that in retrospect the most I can say about them is that I survived, but I take some serious satisfaction in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology