Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 12:52 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,987,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
How do you differentiate between people who are narcissistic and people who are simply rude?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Yeah, I mean ... I don't know that we will know the difference in public. I don't think the narcissism aspect is as interesting of a discussion point as how the pandemic brings out entitlement in general.

In my extensive experience with narcissists, they don't take out their dysfunction on strangers as much as they do friends and family members. It doesn't matter as much to them.
Good question. Unfortunately, we won't know who's the actual narcissists are by just 1x encounters w/ people we'll never see again. Certain people out there who are affected on a regular basis IF they have a narcissistic boss, family member(s), etc. will have a much better chance of recognizing narcissism. People can't just quit their job if they have a narcissistic boss. They'll have to work with them the best they can.

Then the best thing to do is go no-contact because they'll consume you and make your life miserable too if you let them. I say "too" because narcissists are really miserable people themselves, but they'll never admit that. (This is delving more into the topic.)

So there's an actual term called NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder). Sadly, pretty much all of those who are narcissists aren't really going to admit they have a problem & go take an assessment to be officially diagnosed. They're in denial OR in their eyes, it's NEVER ever their fault or the one who's the problem.

Also, another unfortunate thing is narcissists never really improve, but get worse as they age. They'll also put on acts of fake niceness. They know who to be "nice" w/ if they can get something out of you & who they want to treat like $h!t (those who they can't benefit from). This is a fascinating, yet sad topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 01:59 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
You can actually diagnose someone at the check out counter or in a store because you researched your fiance's family's issues?

Old 05-24-2020, 02:25 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
I am willing to do anything I need to do so that others will avoid me. I am more than willing to wait my turn or let someone else go before me. My pleasure.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:27 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
I think the term "narcissist" is overused. Seems like these days, if someone doesn't happen to like someone else's behavior they are branded a narcissist. Sort of lazy thinking. There are lots of reasons why someone might behave rudely in pubic at any given moment.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:39 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I think the term "narcissist" is overused. Seems like these days, if someone doesn't happen to like someone else's behavior they are branded a narcissist. Sort of lazy thinking. There are lots of reasons why someone might behave rudely in pubic at any given moment.
I agree. It's like the word, "toxic."

But the issue of being rude or boorish in public is still in play, as you say.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:49 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I agree. It's like the word, "toxic."
People like the "props" they get from others because they can use the word in a sentence. Admittance to the group that has added the term to their personal lexicon. Whether it applies or not.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-24-2020 at 03:08 PM..

Old 05-24-2020, 03:05 PM

599 posts, read 263,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Completely agree. There are just a lot of a-holes and just plain rude people who are selfish, not necessarily cluster B. In my experience a narcissist tends to be charming and on good behavior with strangers and the public. It's a quick spike of adrenaline to have praise and admiration of a stranger they don't have to put that much energy into. They save the corrosive love/hate cycle for family and people in their inner circle.

Old 05-24-2020, 03:08 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
The diagnosable illness is actually not that widespread but. Larger amounts of our population, particularly our younger members of society, are displaying narcissistic behavior. Seems it's the disorder of the era.

Also, almost all of us exhibit narcissistic behavior in some circumstances and we "healthy" folks also have trouble owning up to when our behavior is self-centered. Easy to see in others. Not so easy to see in myself. Dang.

Old 05-24-2020, 03:15 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty99 View Post
...In my experience a narcissist tends to be charming and on good behavior with strangers and the public. It's a quick spike of adrenaline to have praise and admiration of a stranger they don't have to put that much energy into. They save the corrosive love/hate cycle for family and people in their inner circle.
This is totally true of them as well. I've seen it first-hand myself. They'll treat strangers better than their own family oftentimes. They won't hesitate to put on acts of fake niceness. They know who to be "nice" with if they think they can get something out of that person and who they want to treat like $h!t (those who they can't benefit from).

Narcissists always need validation too because they are truly miserable inside, but will never admit it. That's why Facebook is a narcissists' playground too. They'll be the ones always saying something or always showing the photos to get the replies, thumbs up, high 5's, etc. whether it's to brag and/or on the other end of it, saying something so they appear like the victim so everyone feels sorry and pity for them.

Again, as I said above, we usually won't know who the actual narcissists are by just 1x encounters with people we'll never see again...unless they're obvious about their narcissistic character. But for those certain people out there who are affected on a regular basis IF they have a narcissistic boss, family member(s), or someone else they have to see on a regular basis, they'll have a much better chance of recognizing narcissism.

And again to clarify, I'm not saying people who do just 1 or so of those characteristics are narcissists. This topic is about those who are actually narcissists and how they'll continue to behave out in public.

I tell ya (as I'm sure some know), there are so many topics, sub-topics, and aspects of narcissism, it can be mind-blowing. There are even several types of narcissism (for those interested in doing research). A psychologist can devote their whole career to specializing in this personality type alone amongst others (such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, multiple personalities, etc. plus, I was a Behavioral Sciences major, so I think about this kind of thing).

Old 05-24-2020, 05:27 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
If they aren't wearing a mask no way do I consider it an isolated mindset.
Actions speak, and I need listen.

Thank you to the mindful and respectfull.
And no thank you to the humans wishing to be selfish . Be careful which hill your wishing to die on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology