Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 11:09 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times

Advertisements

As more and more places are reopening from covid-19, I see something happening that sensible, compassionate people who care about their health are NOT going to like. When we're out and about in public, we're going to be accommodating the narcissists even more out there.

In a nutshell, narcissists...

- think it's all about them and no one else
- they have no empathy
- they feel entitled
- they don't like to follow rules
- they think they're better, smarter, faster, etc. than everyone else

So for example, let's say we're browsing a clothing store. A non-narcissist who sees someone already at a clothing rack may wait a couple of min for the other person to be done browsing before walking over to that rack to keep their social distance. However, a narcissist will barge on over anyway because it's all about them and they don't want to wait for anyone else and have consideration. This may cause the non-narcissist to move for them, thus giving the narcissist a bigger head than they already have.

Now many of you may think I'm thinking too hard about this, but yes I think about this (not obsessively so) because there are a LOT of imposing, entitled @$^#*#$ out there and I can see more of this happening as we're all back out in public again.

My fiance' and I have done a lot of research about narcissism due to his immediate family members (both parents and 3 siblings) who he's gone no-contact with because he's seen the light about them.

Hopefully, I'm not spending all day always having to go out of my way walking around others, waiting those couple of extra minutes, etc. because I care about my safety. Hopefully, things will be better than I think becasue we'll be d@mn^d if we spend the rest of our lives stepping aside, etc. for these people!

Anyone else think about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 11:15 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I don't have a problem yielding to others, especially if it helps save my health, because I'm not out trying to look for a fight every time I run errands.

I do think the pandemic has heightened people's sensitivity to the behavior of others, but scolds and scofflaws have always existed. The current circumstances have actually set the stage for both to exist and, naturally, experience conflict.

If physical distancing is the norm, I will take the steps necessary even if others won't. I don't feel like that makes me a lesser or weaker person.

The best part about being older, though, is that I spend less time worrying about what other people are doing.

I don't know if everyone who acts like that is a full-blown narcissist, but I do think this pandemic is revealing the people who have never been told "no" in their lives.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 05-24-2020 at 11:23 AM..

Old 05-24-2020, 11:27 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
OP, at first I was puzzled by your thread title, but you make some interesting points. The thing about not following rules, especially. Narcissists are the jaywalkers of the world, lol. The rules simply don't apply to them.

Well, I'm not going to worry about it; it seems to stressful to think about. I'll just hope for the best, but perhaps be observant along the lines you suggest, and see what happens.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:48 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Good comments so far guys! And to clarify, I'm not saying people who do just 1 or so of those characteristics are narcissists. This topic is about those who are actually narcissists and how they'll continue to behave out in public.

There are even several types of narcissism (for those interested in doing research). A psychiatrist can devote their whole career to specializing in this personality type alone amongst others (such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, multiple personalities, etc. plus, I was a Behavioral Sciences major, so I think about this kind of thing).

Here are a few videos out of many if anyone wants to do more research:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Q...hCo88E5muxUjmA

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIE...wMKIhB6DCmTBlw

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI-...JykzMW4Je191qQ

Again, hopefully, covid and this whole ordeal we've been through will make people have more compassion out there and things will be better than I think.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:03 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
How do you differentiate between people who are narcissistic and people who are simply rude?

Old 05-24-2020, 12:17 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
How do you differentiate between people who are narcissistic and people who are simply rude?
Yeah, I mean ... I don't know that we will know the difference in public. I don't think the narcissism aspect is as interesting of a discussion point as how the pandemic brings out entitlement in general.

In my extensive experience with narcissists, they don't take out their dysfunction on strangers as much as they do friends and family members. It doesn't matter as much to them.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:25 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
When things open? How about now?

I was at the store yesterday using the self-service check out lane and the guy behind me approaches and is 8" away as I'm ringing up my items. I said, 'Am I moving too slowly for you?' He came back with, 'No, you're fine.' 'Then why are you on top of me?' 'We both have masks on, what difference does it make?' I said, 'It doesn't make much difference to me, but you look like an *******.'

I didn't feel at risk, but give me some space.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:29 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
I don't know about the pure narcissism angle on this, but I do have a noticeable amount of my own anxiety about people angrily imposing their own personal beliefs about safe re-entry...on BOTH sides.

I'm not going to walk around in a plastic bubble for the next year...but I'm not going to freak out if I unexpectedly pass someone on a sidewalk 4 feet away for 2 seconds.

Last edited by KemBro71; 05-24-2020 at 12:44 PM..

Old 05-24-2020, 12:46 PM

599 posts, read 263,246 times
I get that narcissists are all about themselves, but I don't think you can assume they will be unafraid of the virus. You might have narcissists that suffer from anxiety and OCD. It's too broad an idea to apply to one category. I do think the narcissists who do not see the virus as a threat will most definitely be rude and uncaring to others in public.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:49 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Sounds like OP described my outing to the greenhouse.

If they aren't going to do it, I will. After all, it's my health I'm worried about, not my tender ego. And I do have one. Heh.

Lots and lots of reasons why this may happen besides personality disorder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology