Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 07:49 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,535,261 times

Advertisements

I've been guilty. I've asked my wife, where is the ketchup? Where is the mayo? I usually put the most commonly used items in the front.

After unloading the leftovers, moving the gallon of milk, and right behind the container with the aluminum foil, she hands me the condiment with an attitude and says, "you need to look the next time before you ask me!"

Honestly, I did look. I was the last one to use the ketchup. Not only the refrigerator, but the kitchen cabinets and the bathroom vanities, it's the same scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 07:54 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,335,748 times
Well, if you saw me without my shirt on you could tell that I NEVER have trouble finding food, wherever it may be.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:56 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
I've been guilty. I've asked my wife, where is the ketchup? Where is the mayo? I usually put the most commonly used items in the front.

After unloading the leftovers, moving the gallon of milk, and right behind the container with the aluminum foil, she hands me the condiment with an attitude and says, "you need to look the next time before you ask me!"

Honestly, I did look. I was the last one to use the ketchup. Not only the refrigerator, but the kitchen cabinets and the bathroom vanities, it's the same scenario.
Oh, you mean male pattern blindness?

It can be a mild stage of what is called "learned helplessness." Similar to how adult kids revert back to their childish, dependent habits when they're at their parents' house. Even though people know how to do something, they've trained themselves to rely on someone else to do it for them.

So they don't REALLY try the way they would if they were alone.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:02 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,236,065 times
That describes my wife - can't find a thing in fridge, the cupboards, the cabinets in the garage.

She'll claim we don't have (item here), I'll go look, point, roll eyes, smile, and go back to what I was doing.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:08 AM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

It can be a mild stage of what is called "learned helplessness." Similar to how adult kids revert back to their childish, dependent habits when they're at their parents' house. Even though people know how to do something, they've trained themselves to rely on someone else to do it for them.

I think you nailed it!!

Old 06-24-2020, 08:09 AM

10,100 posts, read 6,441,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post

I think it's the same reason they can't find spills or debris on the floor. What mess? I don't see it. Point it out to me - oh, you mean that puddle of milk.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:22 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,391,897 times
Quote:

So true. You did nail it.

When my husband and I started having babies it got a bit out of control: the male pattern blindness. We went for marriage counseling. My husband at one point said to the counselor, "I don't know where stuff is". The counselor's response was, "Why don't you?". I never wanted so bad to get up and high five the counselor. Husband improved his "learned helplessness".

Old 06-24-2020, 08:37 AM

88,614 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:

You know, my sister and I remember as teenagers watching my father dry some dishes that were in the strainer while we were peeling potatoes at the table. My mother had run out to the store. He was putting each item away in the proper cabinets, and then my mother walked in the front door. My father was standing there with a glass in his hand, and he looked at her and said, "Where does this go?"

First of all, the glasses were in the same cabinet all my life, and he knew where to find a glass when he wanted one, and secondly, he was doing fine putting things away UNTIL SHE WALKED IN THE DOOR.

It was weird, as if her presence triggered that helplessness.

OR, it triggered fear that he wasn't doing something correctly and he would be criticized.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:49 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Yeah....my SO is "afraid" of doing something wrong so he has to ask the same stuff over and over every single time. YES, it's 8:00 at night, you CAN close the garage door! Where would we be going? Would there ever be a reason to leave it open all night? Just THINK! ...of course that is one tiny example....and seriously, am I going to smack him? I don't know why he is so "afraid".

Old 06-24-2020, 09:43 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,156,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, if you saw me without my shirt on you could tell that I NEVER have trouble finding food, wherever it may be.

awwww lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology