Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 09:11 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,432,447 times

Advertisements

I am semi retired so Mon-Fri is basically my long weekend. Fri/Sat I hide and let the rest of the world do what they need to do. I love when people are shut in during the week and I have the run of the place.

Now with Covid people are ALWAYS home. Talk about getting fed up with people..... I've got great neighbors for the most part BUT ONE HOUSE from morning until night is constant babble echoing off the trees. I guess because there are no walls. All day long constant babble about what would seem to be cartoonish half syllables of gibber jabber relating to Micky Mouse or the new Dancing with the Stars Episode. If only one of the three watched the news or read a book or a saw a decent movie and discussed it I could relate but high pitched giggles all day with zero substance to them and no punch line gets really dry.

Everyone else is so well behaved.

Anyone getting annoyed by all the stay at home people ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 10:32 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,060,171 times
The only solution is to move. Get out of the city, to the mountains, the desert, the woods or the prairie.

If you aren't willing to do that,

get yourself some foam earplugs, $2.98 at Walmart, in orange, green, purple or whatever.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:22 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,988,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I am semi retired so Mon-Fri is basically my long weekend. Fri/Sat I hide and let the rest of the world do what they need to do. I love when people are shut in during the week and I have the run of the place.

Now with Covid people are ALWAYS home. Talk about getting fed up with people..... I've got great neighbors for the most part BUT ONE HOUSE from morning until night is constant babble echoing off the trees. I guess because there are no walls. All day long constant babble about what would seem to be cartoonish half syllables of gibber jabber relating to Micky Mouse or the new Dancing with the Stars Episode. If only one of the three watched the news or read a book or a saw a decent movie and discussed it I could relate but high pitched giggles all day with zero substance to them and no punch line gets really dry.

Wow, are those children?? Or adults constantly talking??

I get easily annoyed by people but I only can complain about the landscapers. I traded ghetto sounds (sirenes, mariachi music) when I just recently sold my house for a nicer area and now I have to hear blowers and lawnmowers all day. I live in an apartment on first level and there is something going on EVERY day. I had the vision of working from home on my patio but I can't because the landscapers are there EVERY day, right in front of my nose.

One day a little grass cutting. The next day blowing. The next day bushes. The next day trees. Oh, let's dig a hole right in front of the complex. Close it the next day. A week gone by and then the cycle repeats. They always just cut a little bit so they have to come back a week later again. Don't even get me started on how my car looks like from all the landscaping (street parking).

But I guess I rather have the monotone noises of machines instead of people.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:18 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
Quote:
I've got great neighbors for the most part BUT ONE HOUSE from morning until night is constant babble echoing off the trees. I guess because there are no walls.
Do you live in a tent?

Old 07-29-2020, 08:49 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Now with Covid people are ALWAYS home. Talk about getting fed up with people..... I've got great neighbors for the most part BUT ONE HOUSE from morning until night is constant babble echoing off the trees. I guess because there are no walls. All day long constant babble about what would seem to be cartoonish half syllables of gibber jabber relating to Micky Mouse or the new Dancing with the Stars Episode.
That doesn't sound like people working from home, though. People WFH are inside and quietly working. That sounds like a family on summer break, which isn't unusual in the summer.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:56 AM

12,780 posts, read 15,001,003 times
Hmm, they must keep all the windows open & talk loudly. Can you try to block it out & not think about it? I know, easier said than done for some people & you shouldn't have to close all your windows.

I live in an apt complex & it's honestly been exactly THE SAME amount of noise before & during COVID. There's many times I could hear a pin drop.

Well, other than actually moving because this COVID looks like it will be around a long time, therefore you'll be hearing your neightbors for who knows how long, try this:

- be out of the house more - Go on walks, drives, etc.

- have some soft music on or some kind of sound in your house. I got a sound machine to play ocean waves. Fiance' really likes it.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:59 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,407,772 times
Yes. My upstairs neighbors’ kids running and screaming all day.

Prior to COVID, I worked from home one day a week and they must have been in day care all day because the noise wouldn’t start up until after 3. But now, it’s all day running and stomping back and forth, screaming at the top of their lungs. I guess it helps that I’m on calls all day; having my headphones on helps drown out some of the noise.

I try to be understanding, because I get it. Day care isn’t open and the parents are at home having to take care of the kids all day and it’s hard to keep them occupied when you have to work. I’m not sure what the situation is upstairs, if the parents are working or not. But, goodness, those kids go all day every day.

Last edited by jaynaydee; 07-29-2020 at 09:16 AM..

Old 07-29-2020, 09:16 AM

1,373 posts, read 615,857 times
I've live p/t in the Catskills, NY for a little over 20 years, there are a lot of second home owners from NYC. With C-19 many of them have decided to spend the quarantine up there that it's become crazy. The area where I am used to be so quiet, now it's motorcycles, car traffic, busy small town main street full of people. Adding to that some are rude, with a tremendous sense of entitlement with no respect for the rural and small village residents. Drives me bonkers. At least they all wear their masks

Old 07-29-2020, 09:27 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,086,660 times
Quote:

OP, what do you mean, "no walls"? Are they OUTSIDE talking loudly -- and you can still hear them from INSIDE your house? (That would drive me insane too if I couldn't just shut my windows and shut them out.)

In my neighborhood lots of houses have pools and if I am OUTSIDE I can sometimes hear kids laughing and playing, but those noises don't bother me, especially because I can't hear them at all from INSIDE my house. But I don't understand your "no walls" comment.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:30 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,655 times
I work at home 2x a week and I'm much less productive there I find myself procrastinating until I'm back at the office the next day. The boredom at home can be bad, but I'm an introvert, so I'm happiest at home, not around people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology