Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 10:41 AM

226 posts, read 148,314 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find an easy way to figure out the difference between Bi Polar and Borderline Personality Disorder other than the DSM Criteria and I think if someone could help me with this question it would be easier.

IS there any articles anyone knows of that explains Borderline has to be persistent in personalty daily? Or does Borderline Personality Disorder also wax and wain?

It seems to me that if Borderline was a consent in the personality daily then that would be the biggest difference from bi polar and would be an eay way to explain the difference.

Not looking for simalarities between the two but stark differences. There are lots of similarities explained in literature.

Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 11:04 AM

46 posts, read 29,914 times
Both have certain behaviors and symptoms in common, such as anxiety and suicidal behavior. But there are major differences.

People with Bipolar Disorder will spend significant periods of time (weeks, sometimes months) in the same mood, whether manic or depressive, before changing over to the other mood. You may have been confused because there is a variant called "rapid cycling" Bipolar. But the definition of "rapid cycling" is someone who has four distinct episodes of mania or depression over the course of a year. Bipolar is primarily a mood disorder.

People with Borderline Personality Disorder (also known as Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder) can change their moods without any warning, and can have changing, multiple intense moods over the course of a day. They have severe issues with impulsivity/impulse control, and are quick to anger with very little provocation. People with Borderline are prone to swing between love and hate, friend and enemy, good and bad - they don't see things in shades of grey. They are prone to self-harm (for example, cutting) and are terrified of what they perceive as abandonment, even though their criteria is often irrational. They don't have a stable sense of self and have great difficulty with interpersonal relationships as a result. Borderline is primarily a personality disorder.

Old 02-23-2020, 11:23 AM

Thanks, I know someone a family member that is close to me who is struggling and was diagnosed with Bi Polar and Borderline traits but not Borderline and we were talking and I could not help them they keep getting new psychatrist trying to figure out if they are Bi polar, borderline, or both. They are getting treated for bi polar and it was helping for awhile and then got bad again even on lithium.

I am gearing toward just bi polar because the person has had periods of years , months, and weeks that were stable. But it seems when life is more stable they are more stable so I was unsure if the personality can feed off stability and appear stable if that makes sense.

For instance when life is bad and you are bad and life is good and your good is that personality or mood disorder?

Old 02-23-2020, 11:26 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,571,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquildove View Post
People with Borderline Personality Disorder (also known as Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder) can change their moods without any warning, and can have changing, multiple intense moods over the course of a day. They have severe issues with impulsivity/impulse control, and are quick to anger with very little provocation. People with Borderline are prone to swing between love and hate, friend and enemy, good and bad - they don't see things in shades of grey. They are prone to self-harm (for example, cutting) and are terrified of what they perceive as abandonment, even though their criteria is often irrational. They don't have a stable sense of self and have great difficulty with interpersonal relationships as a result. Borderline is primarily a personality disorder.
If you see she has a Seroquel prescription, run like hell.

Old 02-23-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown202020 View Post
Thanks, I know someone a family member that is close to me who is struggling and was diagnosed with Bi Polar and Borderline traits but not Borderline and we were talking and I could not help them they keep getting new psychatrist trying to figure out if they are Bi polar, borderline, or both. They are getting treated for bi polar and it was helping for awhile and then got bad again even on lithium.

I am gearing toward just bi polar because the person has had periods of years , months, and weeks that were stable. But it seems when life is more stable they are more stable so I was unsure if the personality can feed off stability and appear stable if that makes sense.

For instance when life is bad and you are bad and life is good and your good is that personality or mood disorder?
Disclaimer: I'm not a medical professional, my experience is also with family members. But in my opinion, I would say that someone who can live for long periods of time in a stable manner is not Borderline. And stress can definitely exacerbate Bipolar, so that seems to fit the scenario you're describing. FYI, Lithium is not the only med for Bipolar, there are others that may be a better fit.

Old 02-24-2020, 06:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquildove View Post
Disclaimer: I'm not a medical professional, my experience is also with family members. But in my opinion, I would say that someone who can live for long periods of time in a stable manner is not Borderline. And stress can definitely exacerbate Bipolar, so that seems to fit the scenario you're describing. FYI, Lithium is not the only med for Bipolar, there are others that may be a better fit.
This. And lithium (and other meds for that matter) can just suddenly stop working. That's why people on medication should stay in very regular contact with their doctors and should also listen to feedback from people who are close to them.

My brother is bipolar and schizophrenic and on Zyprexa. (It's commonly prescribed for both disorders.) A few months ago though, I noticed that he was talking very fast but not making sense - like his nouns and verbs and all that were in the right places but the words didn't make sense. I told him this and to his credit he went to the doctor again and they increased the dosage of Zyprexa and THAT new dose worked. This was just out of the blue.

He was surprised and dismayed by this because he had been taking his meds as prescribed, but I knew that this could happen (so did he but he still didn't like experiencing it).

And yes, stress can definitely exacerbate bipolar disorder.

Old 02-24-2020, 09:33 AM

I think you can not tell the difference between the extreme polar spectrum of bi polar rapid cycling and borderline.

Read recently that borderline is remitting and gets better with age and ts peak is adolescence.

That being said would someone older have more of a chance of being bi polar if experience rapid cycle.

Old 02-24-2020, 11:24 AM

722 posts, read 429,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown202020 View Post
I am trying to find an easy way to figure out the difference between Bi Polar and Borderline Personality Disorder other than the DSM Criteria and I think if someone could help me with this question it would be easier.

IS there any articles anyone knows of that explains Borderline has to be persistent in personalty daily? Or does Borderline Personality Disorder also wax and wain?

It seems to me that if Borderline was a consent in the personality daily then that would be the biggest difference from bi polar and would be an eay way to explain the difference.

Not looking for simalarities between the two but stark differences. There are lots of similarities explained in literature.

Thank You.
I've found these videos that explain a lot about mental health.
Here, Dr. Tracey Marks tries to explain the differences between Borderline and Bipolar:
https://youtu.be/MLl4b9726wA

Old 02-24-2020, 04:26 PM

if your symponmatic and you take a benzo and it relieves the symptoms does that mean your not borderline, or does borderline react well to benzos?

Old 02-24-2020, 05:42 PM

chitown202020, I don't know the answer to your questions above, but I'll point out one more major difference between Bipolar and Borderline:
  • Bipolar is caused primarily by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Although as mentioned above, stress can often be a factor in triggering symptoms.
  • Borderline is caused primarily by early childhood trauma, such as emotional/physical/sexual abuse, neglect, and abandonment. This often is a result of parents with substance abuse issues (either alcohol or drugs) and/or mental health issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology