Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 07:52 AM

2,182 posts, read 2,321,661 times

Advertisements

My biggest (and most disturbing) theme is dealing with an extremely unhealthy family abuse cycle due to the narcissistic personality disorder of a few family members. It is an extremely difficult issue to manage.

The difficulty is compounded by extended family members, family friends, and longtime neighbors who inquire asking, "WTF is going on with your family???" Ugh, yeah, believe me, unless you want to get a basic education on the abuse cycle, there is no point in attempting to answer your questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 10:27 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Atlguy View Post
I'm a 6, not a 9. Loyalist describes me best.
Interesting. Me too, but counter-phobic. I was just going by the line you wrote about feeling invisible - that's a nine thing.

Old 08-03-2020, 10:40 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
What are you doing about it? It's not a good way to go through life.

Old 08-03-2020, 10:56 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
That must be painful.

I don't know if you're into the Enneagram, but that's an issue for Type Nines.
Hahaha, I never heard of this thing, but I just took the free test. 98% Five 94% Four. The Investigator followed closely by the Individualist. Next one after that was down at 71% for The Skeptic.

My lowest score (48%) was the Giver, and it brought back a memory. I had lunch with an acquaintance once, and I remember her seriously telling me, "I am a giver", and it was all I could do to keep from rolling my eyes. I thought that was a corny way to brag about one's self. Now I'm wondering if maybe she's taken this personality thing.

Earlier in life my answers would have been different. My theme was once that I was your typical codependent, but I'm better now. Therapy is helpful if you really want to change your life and are willing to do the work and go through the pain it takes to face your flaws and make the changes.

Old 08-03-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hahaha, I never heard of this thing, but I just took the free test. 98% Five 94% Four. The Investigator followed closely by the Individualist. Next one after that was down at 71% for The Skeptic.

My lowest score (48%) was the Giver, and it brought back a memory. I had lunch with an acquaintance once, and I remember her seriously telling me, "I am a giver", and it was all I could do to keep from rolling my eyes. I thought that was a corny way to brag about one's self. Now I'm wondering if maybe she's taken this personality thing.

Earlier in life my answers would have been different. My theme was once that I was your typical codependent, but I'm better now. Therapy is helpful if you really want to change your life and are willing to do the work and go through the pain it takes to face your flaws and make the changes.
I can sometimes tell a person's type through their online communications. I can see how five would fit you. The way your type would be stated would be 5w4 (or you might be 4w5 - you have to figure that out). The next thing to determine would be your variants or sub-type of Sexual, Self-Preservation, or Social. It's a very interesting system.

Old 08-03-2020, 11:37 AM

I listed three theme problems at the beginning, but forgot to list the most important one: Feeling unloved. It is severely affecting me at the moment because of the isolation. When not isolated, I can pretend that that's not the deep issue that it really is. Not sure what to do about that because I do not blame people from not loving me - I just know it has affected me and it seems just "unfortunate."

Old 08-03-2020, 11:41 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Although I'd heard of this, I don't think I ever took a test. My results were 98% 4 (individualist) 90% 5 (Investigator) and 82% 6 (skeptic). I guess now I know.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Although I'd heard of this, I don't think I ever took a test. My results were 98% 4 (individualist) 90% 5 (Investigator) and 82% 6 (skeptic). I guess now I know.
You actually don't know, as you have to determine one type and a wing, and then sub-type.

It's a very complicated, comprehensive system with lots of subtleties.

If you are interested in human behavior, it's fascinating.

You MIGHT be a 4w5 based on the testing - but you would have to do further investigation (read all of the number profiles on Enneagram Institute website is an easy way to get an initial assessment).

Old 08-03-2020, 12:28 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
" Whoa is me .......(fill in the blanks, repeat daily)."
"Whoa"....always putting the brakes on things?

Or do you mean "Woe".....that's a common experience for many of us. I expect bad news, whatever that's called.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:17 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
"Whoa"....always putting the brakes on things?

Or do you mean "Woe".....that's a common experience for many of us. I expect bad news, whatever that's called.
Pessimism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology