Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 10:03 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
NO, lol, underneath that. You don't see the line that says: "Status: Uncomfortably numb"?

I see that neither of you have set one.
Yes, my status says:

And no, I do not see yours, perhaps there is something wrong with this website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 10:04 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,410,761 times
I'm suffering from extreme coronavirus burnout right out. I don't want to work and deal with complaints when my clients have had a month or two off not working and i've been working nonstop, I'm sick of eating my own cooking - the same thing day after day, week after week, month after month, sick of masks, sick of not going anywhere and feeling like a shelter animal caged in my house, sick of protesters, sick of people who don't follow rules because they're so selfish, sick of blasting fireworks and sick of feeling like I'm getting more and more middle aged pudgier than ever. I've really had it. I should be working right now as a tax deadline is coming up in almost 2 weeks but taking the day off because I just can't focus and feel so disgruntled and angry.

Old 08-28-2020, 10:28 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Am I feeling drained? Definitely. Just months ago we had a booming economy, our interest income was producing some a respectable return, we had a life complete with friends and fun, and it's all gone now. One CD went from producing $300 a month down to $78 a month. I had it set up to dump the last rental, collect my social security and use the interest money if we needed it, which we still don't. We would be down to one house and able to just pick up and go.

The current civil unrest, the prices in the grocery store (yikes.) everything fun taken away. Tenants moving out at the end of July, the surgery, the stressful trips to the big box stores for supplies, still unable to find N95 masks. Working every day for 28 straight days and counting on the rental to get it sold before the foreclosures start. Life is just a big crap pile right now. Oh and I'm way behind in my colonoscopy, and our basement is still torn up from the flood in May.

I'm definitely drained, totally pissed off, and more engaged than ever politically. This incompetence and nightmare has to end. Life is hard enough right now and dealing with this pandemic just makes it twice as hard.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:30 AM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I'm definitely ready for 2020 to be over. This has been the year of hell. The first 2 months were great for me then mid-March it all went to complete crap when our entire state was shut down. It still hasn't fully reopened. It's so bad that I'm seriously considering relocating. I can't take the politics of this state and the tax increases anymore. I'm tired of being ruled by NYC even though it's 5-6 hours away.
Many of us are in such predicament. I moved to a large and HCOL city, well-aware of the high taxes and the politics. Those things, however unpleasant, were known. But the reward was the dynamism, opportunities and social connections that said city offers. All of that was eviscerated by the 'rona. A truly world-class metropolis came to resemble a lowly decaying burg of the Midwest.

Certainly, a temporary sacrifice is sustainable, and we ought not grumble, however our emotions get frayed in the moment. But at what duration does "temporary" become "the new normal"? At what point does "the moment" become such languorous passage of time, that it seeps into permanence? I'm aghast, that overwhelmingly the populace not only accepts the new normalcy, but takes voluntarily even harsher and more austere measures. The competition is for who's the more dedicated and the more attuned to the new austerity and asceticism.

The mental model confounds me. Assuredly, if I ceased driving, or eating meat, or running the air conditioner, I would cause less deleterious impact on the environment, and thus, presumably save lives in the future. Yes? And yet, all but the most doctrinaire commentators wouldn't advocate for such austerity. Yes? But how do we square that with the mental model, that what we presently do, is necessary to save lives? Why does one form of self-abnegation register as being necessary and proper, while another is excessive and shrill?

A huge source of frustration, is not merely our impotence in making any change, in pursuing any deviation from the prescribed course - but in beholding the incongruity of it all. And even more so, this: supposedly when enough frustration gathers, we no longer contain ourselves, and lash out, taking matters into our own hands. But there is no serious effort to do so. There is no reasoned campaign, beyond some isolated peeved diatribe, such as mine here. It truly is T.S. Eliot's world, ending in a whimper.

Last edited by ohio_peasant; 08-28-2020 at 11:51 AM..

Old 08-28-2020, 12:46 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Just my opinion. I really think what is happening is more of a beginning of very difficult times. Things aren't going back to a "normal" we're used to. I think we're going to go through some really rough stuff. There will be immense good that comes out of it--eventually, but I believe humanity has some hard lessons to learn first (myself included).

Old 08-28-2020, 12:49 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
I don't see it either Queen. Maybe try to input it again?
No, it's been there for more than a month, and I know someone else saw it because he emailed me about it.

Interesting.

ETA: It was set on June 30th, actually.

Old 08-28-2020, 12:51 PM

99,499 posts, read 4,489,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Yes, my status says:

I don't see yours either. Strange.

Old 08-28-2020, 12:56 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Yes, my status says:

I don't see yours, either. Hmmm.

Anyway, my status line, even though you don't see it, says, "Uncomfortably numb". Any Pink Floyd fans will get the reference, but I think it succinctly sums up how I feel.

Old 08-28-2020, 01:03 PM

720 posts, read 427,817 times
Quote:
I don't see yours, either. Hmmm.

Anyway, my status line, even though you don't see it, says, "Uncomfortably numb". Any Pink Floyd fans will get the reference, but I think it succinctly sums up how I feel.
Hmmm don't know the song but it sounds like a poetic way to say tired. Or maybe it just sounds that way to me :P

Old 08-28-2020, 01:06 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr
I don't see it either Queen. Maybe try to input it again?

Quote:
No, it's been there for more than a month, and I know someone else saw it because he emailed me about it.

Interesting.

ETA: It was set on June 30th, actually.
You all need to click on her screen name and then click on "view public profile", and it is there for everyone to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology