Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 11:34 PM

262 posts, read 651,405 times

Advertisements

My friend was sexually abused when they were four or five by their babysitter's son. While he was abusing the child-my friend, another child walked into the babysitter's son's room and caught them. Would this impact the children long-term? She always had a fear of men when she was younger and she seemed abnormally self-conscious growing up but I don't know if that specific event caused all of that or if there was more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 11:41 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
meh it's uncommon but I think it can. one girl I talk to she was molested by her dad's drunk friend and it has had an effect on her. she's not self conscious but I think that's why she's very sexual. I guess the effects are different for everyone

Old 01-31-2013, 09:39 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
Yes it can be traumatic for a small child to witness horrible things happening to someone else. Could even be more traumatic than for the kid / person being victimized.

Depends on the situation and what was happening. If the person being victimized is going along with the abuse and not putting up much of a fuss, that would be lesser so. But if they are kicking, screaming, and in distress, then more so.

We care about the people we love - brothers - sisters. If we witness them being hurt, that can be quite disturbing! (At ANY age).

Some people who have witnessed these things can have "PTSD". They may prefer to not talk about what happened as that can cause them to "re-live" the situation. This can cause "panic attacks". If that happens, it is best they go in a dark quiet room and lay down for a few hours. Keep the house *very* quiet. No TV or sounds. Take the phone off the hook.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:12 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
A child witnessing the sexual abuse of another probably would be traumatized, and it could stay with her for life..I can easily understand her fear, and shyness around men now.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:36 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,062 times
A single traumatic episode can indeed lead to long-term problems. This is not uncommon at all. Your friend should seek assistance from a licensed counselor to see if treatment may be beneficial.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:40 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beilua Rose View Post
My friend was sexually abused when they were four or five by their babysitter's son. While he was abusing the child-my friend, another child walked into the babysitter's son's room and caught them. Would this impact the children long-term? She always had a fear of men when she was younger and she seemed abnormally self-conscious growing up but I don't know if that specific event caused all of that or if there was more.

I had a horrible, ruined life, with repeated sexual abuse in childhood. It is devastating and most often leads to addiction which happened to me. Witnessing abuse impacts similarly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health