Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 06:03 AM

261 posts, read 189,526 times

Advertisements

Since the 1960, which seemed to be a reaction to what went on before it, the USA has moved to a more conservative outlook. Of course the creation of media to help usher in this movement (Limbaugh, Fox, Hannity etc) and millions of dollars from wealthy donors to help it along has had much to do with this.

But will it stay that way with future generations ? Will we see anything like the 1960's again ? The sixties have been described as three decades exploding in one. So maybe not exactly like the sixties "exactly" but a rejection of what has gone before with young people who feel that they have had enough.

Recently Michael Cain (the actor) narrated a production titled, "My Generation" which looks at the UK
in the post WW2 era and examines the shift that took place there. If you have an hour or so to watch the
movie please do and offer your thoughts, especially Gen Z's. (who may be feeling the psychological impact of the present times)

NOTE: This is not about arguing for right or left politics, but pondering the shape of the future.

The movie: My Generation

My Generation Watch online full movie - Documentary Mania
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 06:07 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel City Joe View Post
Since the 1960, which seemed to be a reaction to what went on before it, the USA has moved to a more conservative outlook. Of course the creation of media to help usher in this movement (Limbaugh, Fox, Hannity etc) and millions of dollars from wealthy donors to help it along has had much to do with this.

But will it stay that way with future generations ? Will we see anything like the 1960's again ? The sixties have been described as three decades exploding in one. So maybe not exactly like the sixties "exactly" but a rejection of what has gone before with young people who feel that they have had enough.

Recently Michael Cain (the actor) narrated a production titled, "My Generation" which looks at the UK
in the post WW2 era and examines the shift that took place there. If you have an hour or so to watch the
movie please do and offer your thoughts, especially Gen Z's.

NOTE: This is not about arguing for right or left politics, but pondering the shape of the future.

The movie: My Generation

My Generation Watch online full movie - Documentary Mania
I've seen the Michael Caine documentary, which is excellent.

I disagree with your premise, though. While conservatism is quite prevalent, our current society is NOT less buttoned-up than that of the 1960s.

Everything from gender roles to the definition of a family is more broad than ever.

Old 09-10-2020, 12:09 PM

261 posts, read 189,526 times
I agree that in many ways we are "less buttoned-up" than in earlier times, but that may owe to what/how those earlier times have influenced our thinking and behaving today. As we are adults adjusted to what we have now it may not be the same for many of today's younger people. They will be the ones with the most to say about their future.

I've read the reports & data leading Insurance Companies have regarding the generations from the Boomers to the Z's. It seems the later X's and Z's have the most in common now. How that has influenced their thinking and the choices that they will make going into the future. (and I have no idea what they will do which is why I'd like to hear their views in this thread)

Old 09-11-2020, 08:27 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,264 times
I believe progressivism is unstoppable. The extreme right wing conservatives that support Trump are on their last hurrah, it's why they want to try to control the supreme court for the next decade. But they are a dying breed, and the younger more progressive generations are who is breeding. It's extreme conservatives last ditch effort to try to control the narrative, to try to sway minds, and Trump strokes their desires. They will lose this war like all generations have before them. Can a nation take two steps back before taking another forward? Sure, look at Iran. A more conservative regime may slow progression down, but it won't stop it, it's inevitable that people will have more open minds, will continue to be enlightened, will come to the realization that others have different needs and wants and view the world very differently while looking at the exact same scenery. It's rigidity that loses. That rigidity can be on either side of the spectrum of extremes, and society will naturally correct it. But the white privilege is going by the wayside no matter what. We white privileged are simply not breeding as fast as the sum of the groups of minorities. They may be poorer, they may be less educated, but they will have their day, as "the meek shall inherit the earth", whether you are religious or not, and I'm not, that line is apropos.

Old 09-11-2020, 12:16 PM

9,136 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Younger generations are almost always more progressive than the older generations. Then, as they mature, age, and acquire assets, they tend to become more moderate.

Except for Bernie.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:44 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Younger generations are almost always more progressive than the older generations. Then, as they mature, age, and acquire assets, they tend to become more moderate.

Except for Bernie.
I call BS to this oft-repeated, worn-out mantra.

Plenty of us old liberals. I didn't lose my senses when I aged. If anything I have more compassion for those not as fortunate.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:46 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I believe progressivism is unstoppable. The extreme right wing conservatives that support Trump are on their last hurrah, it's why they want to try to control the supreme court for the next decade. But they are a dying breed, and the younger more progressive generations are who is breeding. It's extreme conservatives last ditch effort to try to control the narrative, to try to sway minds, and Trump strokes their desires. They will lose this war like all generations have before them. Can a nation take two steps back before taking another forward? Sure, look at Iran. A more conservative regime may slow progression down, but it won't stop it, it's inevitable that people will have more open minds, will continue to be enlightened, will come to the realization that others have different needs and wants and view the world very differently while looking at the exact same scenery. It's rigidity that loses. That rigidity can be on either side of the spectrum of extremes, and society will naturally correct it. But the white privilege is going by the wayside no matter what. We white privileged are simply not breeding as fast as the sum of the groups of minorities. They may be poorer, they may be less educated, but they will have their day, as "the meek shall inherit the earth", whether you are religious or not, and I'm not, that line is apropos.
Wow, very well-written, No-Man. I really hope you are right. I look at my nieces and nephews with great hope, as they "progress" and want equality and justice.

Your Bible quote is apt.

Old 09-11-2020, 06:27 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,264 times
Sand&Salt, I enjoy many of your posts too. I've rated several positive. And I'm very impressed with your South or Central America move that you are able to live so well on so little, especially your healthcare cost.
I discussed/debated these topics on Breitbart in the year leading up to Trump's nomination; I know exactly how they think. I spoke with one man in particular that was rather powerful in that community. If Trump wins another term the gloves are really going to come off....I shudder the thought.

Old 09-11-2020, 06:36 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,683 times
Covid-19 has stopped progressivism, and it will not return. It’s every man for himself in a pandemic.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:04 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
OP, the US was very conservative in the 60's. The 60's were a continuation of the 50's, which were prim and conformist. The "counter culture" movement that made headlines was a fringe movement, which is exactly why it made headlines: sensationalism sells.

Over time, through the 70's into the 80's, some of its values did influence and change social mores, but it took time. Some international observes would say, that the US has always been conservative, and that the events of this summer are only bringing some of the extreme aspects of the conservatism out into the light of day.

This is a highly debatable premise you present, not a "given".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology