Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2020, 08:05 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,618,630 times

Advertisements

So as Jim Morrison of the famous band The Doors said: "No one here gets out alive!". How true...

Note: I deleted the entire message thinking it is going to cause chaotic controversy.

Last edited by movintime; 09-20-2020 at 08:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2020, 09:04 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,074 times
I don't know what illness your girlfriend has, but it sounds like something treatable? Which means she may be around for a long time yet. Also keep in mind that new treatments for various conditions are constantly discovered and many situations that looked dismal are vastly improved due to that.

Would a support group for her condition be an option? They have them for most illnesses, both for the person who is ill and usually also for caretakers or spouses. Just getting together with others in the same situation to discuss things and and exchange ideas can help so much. If in-person isn't feasible, there are online support groups that can help as well.

Things are really depressing for most people right now. Covid, the state of the economy and the country, the political situation, the environmental issues that keep getting worse, it seems like it's just one thing after another and even if one's personal life is okay it's still difficult to be constantly bombarded with all the bad stuff. One thing that helps is to get away from all news and get out into nature. Go for a walk in the park, or a hike, or a botanical garden. It really does clear one's head and will make you feel better.

Lastly, kitties are really hard to find good homes for, so you HAVE to stick around for them!

Old 09-21-2020, 06:46 AM

12,774 posts, read 14,987,827 times
I missed whatever the OP deleted, but whatever the condition is, there's always HOPE. I don't know if your GF suffers from depression (along w/ the chronic illness), but she'll have to find some way to get a new mindset.

I have a condition that's chronic too, but I don't like to speak or think that word (chronic). I want to be more positive as I continue to pray for a healing miracle. I've also been resarching preferably holistic remedies.

I wish your GF well & it's nice that she has you in her life.

Old 09-21-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
I don't know what illness your girlfriend has, but it sounds like something treatable? Which means she may be around for a long time yet. Also keep in mind that new treatments for various conditions are constantly discovered and many situations that looked dismal are vastly improved due to that.

Would a support group for her condition be an option? They have them for most illnesses, both for the person who is ill and usually also for caretakers or spouses. Just getting together with others in the same situation to discuss things and and exchange ideas can help so much. If in-person isn't feasible, there are online support groups that can help as well.

Things are really depressing for most people right now. Covid, the state of the economy and the country, the political situation, the environmental issues that keep getting worse, it seems like it's just one thing after another and even if one's personal life is okay it's still difficult to be constantly bombarded with all the bad stuff. One thing that helps is to get away from all news and get out into nature. Go for a walk in the park, or a hike, or a botanical garden. It really does clear one's head and will make you feel better.

Lastly, kitties are really hard to find good homes for, so you HAVE to stick around for them!
I know! My g/f & 2 cats are my world left. Lose them & sands of hourglass expire -- TY God & I'm done on earth.

Been here too long but only the good die young -- hence I'm still here

Old 09-21-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I missed whatever the OP deleted, but whatever the condition is, there's always HOPE. I don't know if your GF suffers from depression (along w/ the chronic illness), but she'll have to find some way to get a new mindset.

I have a condition that's chronic too, but I don't like to speak or think that word (chronic). I want to be more positive as I continue to pray for a healing miracle. I've also been resarching preferably holistic remedies.

I wish your GF well & it's nice that she has you in her life.
TY as I appreciate your kind reply, courage & positivity. I just am not in position to see it from my perspective. So on in misery I go. Not really some say; my sis thinks I LIKE being this way aka a curmudgeon - she says playing the victim. better than playing the perp i told her got ya there lil sis huh, huh?.

Never was tho under 50yrs old before this feeling came on, but now a tad over is diff, way diff! yes could take ssri's etc. but no need to. just another way to make me nuts in opposite direction. u see im not firm believer in meds for now, at least. now beer wine hard stuff. my drugs o choice!

Old 09-21-2020, 09:53 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I'm 34. I was with a woman for two years who had numerous health issues - lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, had a hemorrhagic stroke at 23, two hip replacements by 25. She's 26 now, and while doing better, is far from any sort of normal level of activity.

What got me over time were the constant crises. One thing would happen, then the next, then the next - it was just unrelenting. While she does play her medical issues to get sympathy to a point, that doesn't mean those issues aren't very real.

Constant hospitalizations and crises would fatigue anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology